Exercise and type 2

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
How much does exercise impact on blood sugars? I’ve been low carbing for about 10 weeks now and coming off medication,just down to trulicity once a week and one metformin in morning. I had been walking about 2k a day and landed up about a week ago accidentally walking 14 k (long story). Consequently I damaged my feet now improving dramatically but I haven’t walked for any distance at all since. My blood sugars aren’t awful but have risen to 6’s and 7’s with my carbs around 50g, rather than the 4’s and 5’s that they were. Just wondered if this was typical and has made me reluctant to stop the metformin which was supposed to be the next drug to stop!

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak and simply_h

simply_h

Hi Sue,

Trust you are keeping well.

Exercise and T2. (Non insulin injecting view)

So any form of exercise will drive up blood sugar, that is normal for all.

But as T2 we hav lots of floating around sugars in blood & muscles,so that will get used up 1st etc.

Once it is, the body goes to liver to dump more glucose into the system, as you are exercising so therefore there is a demand for more glucose.

So once you stop exercising for a very short period your blood sugars will be slightly higher than normal.
But as you have been exercising the excess glucose in your system will be transported into the muscles dependent on how insulin resistant or non-resistant you are.

As you say you are Low Carb, which all helps with insulin sensitivity.

Hope that helps and keep up the good work. .

Kind regards,

Simply.

Reactions: jjraak and sue512

mamoune59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sue,

Trust you are keeping well.

Exercise and T2. (Non insulin injecting view)

So any form of exercise will drive up blood sugar, that is normal for all.

But as T2 we hav lots of floating around sugars in blood & muscles,so that will get used up 1st etc.

Once it is, the body goes to liver to dump more glucose into the system, as you are exercising so therefore there is a demand for more glucose.

So once you stop exercising for a very short period your blood sugars will be slightly higher than normal.
But as you have been exercising the excess glucose in your system will be transported into the muscles dependent on how insulin resistant or non-resistant you are.

As you say you are Low Carb, which all helps with insulin sensitivity.

Hope that helps and keep up the good work. .

Kind regards,

Simply.
Hi Simply , exercising should not decrease blood sugar ? I had the impression it was the contrary, great if you will explain fiurther. Thanks

sgm14

How much does exercise impact on blood sugars?

Unfortunately this may be one of those things where the answer is different for everyone. It seems some people find that light exercise reduces their blood sugar whereas intense exercise increases it.

Can't speak for intense exercise, but I find the walking does reduce my blood sugar quite a bit. For example if I walk to my local shop (15 minutes there, 10-15 minutes in the shop and 15 to walk back) and if my blood sugar was less than 7 or 8 before I started, then I would be risking a hypo before I got back home.

Also, I usually walk an average of 10,000 -11,000 steps per day, but recently for a period of a few weeks I reduced that to an average of around 5,000 and I found I needed to increase my insulin dosage. Last week I went back to my unusual routine and needed to reduce my insulin dosage (from an average of 34 units per day to 27 units).

With a Freestyle libre, I can see the effect and when I go for a walk what usually happens is that I get an immediate jump in my blood sugar and then after 10-15 minutes they start to fall.

What puzzles me is that this is what usually happens, but sometimes it just does not work. On one occasion I can remember after breakfast my blood sugar levels had not fallen below 9. After another two hours at 9, I decided to go for a walk and got the initial spike to 10 and then started falling back to 9 and then wouldn't budge below 9 and I walked until lunch time which was over two hours walking! I have no idea what goes on when that happens.

Reactions: sue512

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Unfortunately this may be one of those things where the answer is different for everyone. It seems some people find that light exercise reduces their blood sugar whereas intense exercise increases it.

Can't speak for intense exercise, but I find the walking does reduce my blood sugar quite a bit. For example if I walk to my local shop (15 minutes there, 10-15 minutes in the shop and 15 to walk back) and if my blood sugar was less than 7 or 8 before I started, then I would be risking a hypo before I got back home.

Also, I usually walk an average of 10,000 -11,000 steps per day, but recently for a period of a few weeks I reduced that to an average of around 5,000 and I found I needed to increase my insulin dosage. Last week I went back to my unusual routine and needed to reduce my insulin dosage (from an average of 34 units per day to 27 units).

With a Freestyle libre, I can see the effect and when I go for a walk what usually happens is that I get an immediate jump in my blood sugar and then after 10-15 minutes they start to fall.

What puzzles me is that this is what usually happens, but sometimes it just does not work. On one occasion I can remember after breakfast my blood sugar levels had not fallen below 9. After another two hours at 9, I decided to go for a walk and got the initial spike to 10 and then started falling back to 9 and then wouldn't budge below 9 and I walked until lunch time which was over two hours walking! I have no idea what goes on when that happens.
I’ve just got a libre for a trial of 2 weeks and I may keep it on for a further 2 weeks so will have to play now my feet are working again and see what happens.bodies are complicated things and not always predictable. I’ve stopped the metformin today, libre woke me up with two hypos overnight so think medication needs to come down more. I didn’t try walking today as is pouring down with rain.I had been walking about 10,000 steps just not in last week.isn’t it funny when the same routine has diferent reactions with the same person?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @sue512 ,
Exercise is a minefield of both glucose levels and energy levels.
If you are like me, I can only do light exercise such as walking because I can't risk my blood glucose levels to spike. Having a liver dump will cause a spike, that is what caused the symptoms.
Energy levels are better the longer you limit the carbs.
We have been told relentlessly to carb up before exercise. But if you are intolerant to carbs, the high spikes from carbs are counterproductive to the exercise.
Walking is really good for you and even better if you walk fifteen minutes after a meal for fifteen minutes or longer if able.
it is individual though and some light weight training and swimming is good.
so if that makes sense, you still have to experiment. Just to see how much you can actually do.
Take care

Reactions: sue512

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise causes your body to build more muscle, some more than other. The blood vessels in your muscles also reconfigure over time to supply more oxygen and fuel to your muscles.

More muscle means more cells to absorb glucose so insulin sensitivity is increased overall.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with bg is that lots of things can affect it so the permutations are virtually endless
Food is a major one, but then there's
Exercise, intensity, duration, or lack of
Sleep, quality, length or lack of
Stress
Medications
Alcohol
Illnesses and infections
Climate, a hot day or cold sanp
And probably more
And not all responses are immediate or even within hours. Some people report exercise having a lowering effect 48 hours or more after.

Trying to get exact correlations is very difficult, if not impossible.
Regular testing can give good idea but that's all it is.

For example, My highest reading ever was while fasting but during a period of very High stress. In theory I should have been low.

I just try to keep between 4 and 8 as much as possible and not to worry at the rare odd excursion to 11 for the veyr occasional carb or to the 3s (which I sometimes get for no rhyme or reason), and to keep active and to eat low carb. The simple life for me, and I think that's all most of us T 2s can do.

simply_h

Hi Simply , exercising should not decrease blood sugar ? I had the impression it was the contrary, great if you will explain fiurther. Thanks

Hi Sue,

Overall exercise does decrease sugar levels.

Blood sugar is constantly changing minute by minute, so don’t get too granular about the numbers you post what you should be looking at is your average numbers via a Hba1c.

Hope that helps.

Simply

Reactions: sue512 and AGC_68

AGC_68

As a T2 your blood glucose is high because all the places you can put the surplus energy that you are taking in are now full. Glycogen (liver and muscle) gets full first, you can store only about 1500 to 2000 Calories there. Then comes the adipose fat (under the skin) you can store huge amounts of energy here, but how much varies from person to person, by genetics and by age it's like long term battery storage of energy 50 lbs of fat is about 175,000 Calories. Eventually if you keep overconsuming calories this compartment gets too full (existing fat cells can take no more energy, nor can your body make new fat cells, the amount of adipose fat at which this happens is influenced greatly by your genetics and age). Once the adipose compartment is full and you are still overconsuming, the body is still pumping out insulin like crazy, so new fat stores within the belly are created, around the internal organs. When that compartment is full if you continue to overconsume the body packs the excess energy away in ectopic fat in the liver, in the pancreas, and intra muscular fat. Eventually this compartment becomes full if you continue overconsuming. Now the excess energy you consume, whether carbohydrates, fat or protein will stay in your blood stream, high blood sugar, high triglycerides and high cholesterol. Your body will work like crazy to excrete what it can (hence the trips to the toilet to urinate and get rid of glucose). Insulin cannot pack this stuff away anywhere. It's all full. Drugs like metformin make you fat cells more sensitive to your insulin and allow you to cram some excess energy away in you fat cells again. But if you keep overconsuming the same cycle means you pack away more fat in all compartments, and they are too full. Next step, insulin injections, and you've guessed it .. same cycle if you keep overconsuming.

Exercise allows your muscles to use some of the energy in your blood stream even if, walking after meals will reduce the sugar spike. High intensity exercise will (e.g. lots of shuttle sprints, boxing, HIIT etc.) cause creation of glucose by the liver as the anticipation is that you need more for this potentially flight or flight event as your physiology perceives it. Any of that liver dump you don't use will eventually get either excreted (assuming your fat stores are full to capacity still) or reformed to glycogen in the liver and muscles. That's the short term. Longer term, regular exercise in combination with a reduction in you calorific intake will start to reduce your fat stores, eating less carbohydrates will also free up space in your liver and muscle glycogen compartments, building more muscle will also increase the size of capacity the glycogen compartment. Losing fat will increase the size of available storage capacity in the fat compartment.

Regular exercise helps a lot, but diet is by far most important. If your are T2 and you want to improve your long term average blood sugar levels, you have to eat less energy than you're expending to perform your daily activities, fuel the metabolic process required to stay alive, grow and repair. So that your body is forced to use its fat stores to fuel your energy requirements. As a T2 going low carb is a good idea, don't go crazy on the "healthy fats" they're energy dense and if you over consume you wont lose weight. Easiest way I found is to eat lots of Protein as it is very filling, avoid sugars and starchy vegetables, limit fat intake. Your body can make all the glucose you need even if you eat no carbs. High quality protein (i.e. all essential amino acids) is a must, you can't make protein from carbs or fat, you have to consume it for growth and repair. If you get all your protein from whole foods like eggs, meat, dairy etc. you'll get enough of the essential fats that you need (like the healthy) omega fats, don't feel the need to add loads of extra fat to your food like some keto diet people do. Make those exercise and diet changes and over time things get better. If you are taking meds for your T2, check with your doctor about changes to to your prescription as you don't want hypos. If you start to exercise, eat less carbs and still take the same amount of metformin or insulin as you did before you'll get into trouble with low blood glucose levels. But in summary with lower fat and more muscle the body can deal with the increased blood glucose after a meal and put it into storage. As long as you do not overconsume this stored fat will be released from time to time to fuel your body between meals.

That a high level overview of what diet and exercise can do for a T2, remember you can't out exercise a bad diet. There's more benefits than just reduced blood glucose though with exercise and a good diet, but that's a long long list. I'm only mentioning macronutrients here for brevity's sake, but keep the diet varied so you get enough micronutrients too (vitamins, minerals etc.).

It's a lifestyle change .. once you make the change and see/feel the benefits you'll be glad.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
As a T2 your blood glucose is high because all the places you can put the surplus energy that you are taking in are now full. Glycogen (liver and muscle) gets full first, you can store only about 1500 to 2000 Calories there. Then comes the adipose fat (under the skin) you can store huge amounts of energy here, but how much varies from person to person, by genetics and by age it's like long term battery storage of energy 50 lbs of fat is about 175,000 Calories. Eventually if you keep overconsuming calories this compartment gets too full (existing fat cells can take no more energy, nor can your body make new fat cells, the amount of adipose fat at which this happens is influenced greatly by your genetics and age). Once the adipose compartment is full and you are still overconsuming, the body is still pumping out insulin like crazy, so new fat stores within the belly are created, around the internal organs. When that compartment is full if you continue to overconsume the body packs the excess energy away in ectopic fat in the liver, in the pancreas, and intra muscular fat. Eventually this compartment becomes full if you continue overconsuming. Now the excess energy you consume, whether carbohydrates, fat or protein will stay in your blood stream, high blood sugar, high triglycerides and high cholesterol. Your body will work like crazy to excrete what it can (hence the trips to the toilet to urinate and get rid of glucose). Insulin cannot pack this stuff away anywhere. It's all full. Drugs like metformin make you fat cells more sensitive to your insulin and allow you to cram some excess energy away in you fat cells again. But if you keep overconsuming the same cycle means you pack away more fat in all compartments, and they are too full. Next step, insulin injections, and you've guessed it .. same cycle if you keep overconsuming.

Exercise allows your muscles to use some of the energy in your blood stream even if, walking after meals will reduce the sugar spike. High intensity exercise will (e.g. lots of shuttle sprints, boxing, HIIT etc.) cause creation of glucose by the liver as the anticipation is that you need more for this potentially flight or flight event as your physiology perceives it. Any of that liver dump you don't use will eventually get either excreted (assuming your fat stores are full to capacity still) or reformed to glycogen in the liver and muscles. That's the short term. Longer term, regular exercise in combination with a reduction in you calorific intake will start to reduce your fat stores, eating less carbohydrates will also free up space in your liver and muscle glycogen compartments, building more muscle will also increase the size of capacity the glycogen compartment. Losing fat will increase the size of available storage capacity in the fat compartment.

Regular exercise helps a lot, but diet is by far most important. If your are T2 and you want to improve your long term average blood sugar levels, you have to eat less energy than you're expending to perform your daily activities, fuel the metabolic process required to stay alive, grow and repair. So that your body is forced to use its fat stores to fuel your energy requirements. As a T2 going low carb is a good idea, don't go crazy on the "healthy fats" they're energy dense and if you over consume you wont lose weight. Easiest way I found is to eat lots of Protein as it is very filling, avoid sugars and starchy vegetables, limit fat intake. Your body can make all the glucose you need even if you eat no carbs. High quality protein (i.e. all essential amino acids) is a must, you can't make protein from carbs or fat, you have to consume it for growth and repair. If you get all your protein from whole foods like eggs, meat, dairy etc. you'll get enough of the essential fats that you need (like the healthy) omega fats, don't feel the need to add loads of extra fat to your food like some keto diet people do. Make those exercise and diet changes and over time things get better. If you are taking meds for your T2, check with your doctor about changes to to your prescription as you don't want hypos. If you start to exercise, eat less carbs and still take the same amount of metformin or insulin as you did before you'll get into trouble with low blood glucose levels. But in summary with lower fat and more muscle the body can deal with the increased blood glucose after a meal and put it into storage. As long as you do not overconsume this stored fat will be released from time to time to fuel your body between meals.

That a high level overview of what diet and exercise can do for a T2, remember you can't out exercise a bad diet. There's more benefits than just reduced blood glucose though with exercise and a good diet, but that's a long long list. I'm only mentioning macronutrients here for brevity's sake, but keep the diet varied so you get enough micronutrients too (vitamins, minerals etc.).

It's a lifestyle change .. once you make the change and see/feel the benefits you'll be glad.
Thank you nicely explained

• Friendly
Reactions: AGC_68

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another topic where 'we are all different' pops up again and again. Cos it's metabolic, and most type two is a metabolic disease - so how your individual body responds to exercise in this case differs a lot between people.

What I am really clear saying to anyone who asks is, exercise is really great for your cardiovascular health, and we type twos are most likely to meet our end with cardio vascular disease, so, therefore, you are helping your ability to beat type two too early mortality best by being heart healthy - which is - by exercise. Nothing beats good muscle and movement for heart health. (According to my understanding.)

dosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Excellent information. Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: AGC_68