Exercise cause rise in B.S WHY?

Babino1

I am following a diet plan whereby I write everything down, try to reduce my carbs and change what ever seems to send spikes in my blood sugar levels. I have been following this diet for almost 2 weeks I feel healthier and my sugars seemed to be in gradual decline....until today...
This plan involves exercise I aim to do about 30 minutes a day, this morning I exercised and Zumba'd around working myself into a steady sweat... :lol:
Pre-exercise at 0800am my BS=11 (don't laugh! ..pre breakfast it has been higher than this!)
post-exercise it was 12.5... :shock:
I just want to know why when I exercise my blood sugars are up afterwards..am I doing something wrong or should I be changing what I do?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hello Babino

I was caught out by this as well.

High intensity exercise such as cardiac work which pushes your heart rate up increases your sugar levels.

Here's a great link that helps explain it:-

http://www.runsweet.com/HeartRate.html

I had to drop the intensity of my cardiac workouts and try not to get my heart-rate above 150 at the most and my levels after exercise don't rise.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
That's an interesting version of my name. I can honestly say I've never diddled anyone in my life :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Low intensity exercise is fuelled mainly by fat.
Very high intensity exercise is fuelled entirely by glucose.

The harder you exercise the more glucose that your muscles burn, causing your BG to drop to a stage where your liver-dumps and your BG rises.

I eat hardly any carbs, but after a 5k race my BG can go over 10mmol/l.
If I go for a 9 mile steady run, it'll be about 5mmol/l.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Post exercise you're muscle insulin sensitivity will be much increased and you'll suck up sugar, both to refuel them and to refill your liver.

Defren

I tend to do gentle to moderate walking on my treadmill and that has a positive effect on my BG. It sounds to me based on my own experience and the advice above that getting the heart pumping a little too hard is detrimental. Perhaps a gentle stroll for half an hour or so a day would do the trick?