Exercise for type 1

niyathireme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I have been playing badminton in the morning for a month now . I don't understand if this can be continued as a regular exercise routine for T1D ?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you feel OK after playing, why stop?

If you go hypo afterwards, a change in insulin dose is all that's required. Some folk only need to reduce their bolus but others also have to reduce their basal. It's a case of trial and error to find out what's right for you.

Maybe you should have a word with your DSN and she could give you a starting point for any reductions.

Reactions: 2 people

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you can - exercise will lower your BG. Watch out for hypos!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your blood sugar is above 250mg/dL (that's 13.9 to us Brits), you should test for ketones. If they are present, you should give a correction and wait till the ketones disappear. If you exercise with ketones, your body can't use energy from carbs, as there isn't enough insulin, and body fat will be used instead, leading to even higher ketones. (Probably you wouldn't feel like exercising anyway!)

niyathireme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At certain occasions it goes to 250mg/dl. What is the glucose range expected in T1d during fasting and after meals. I could see different dates in different sections in the site