Exercise in Honeymoon Period :o

Donna1984

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question :) I was diagnosed in November and have been experiencing the honeymoon phase and lots of hypos due to probably not being on the right insulin.

How can i go to the gym when I’m like this? So frustrating xx

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Exercise can be very frustrating even when not in the honeymoon phase. We all have different ways of dealing with it too. It is sort of trial and error of what will work for you.

I have an insulin pump so it will be different in when I snorkel I do a temp basal reduction.

But I do ride my exercise bike 10 miles everyday and don't do a reduction for that. A few ways I approach it,

I ride my bike right after I eat and don't take the full insulin for my meal so I have some Glucose to burn off.

I will eat something extra just so I can get on my bike.

Or consume a high protein maybe with high fat snack with a small amount of carbs and no dosing for it. Usually for me this works as if I eat something just high protein no carbs I have to dose then for the protein, this works to use that to burn off the protein instead.

But a lot of us react differently. I just had hurt my back again so I couldn't ride my bike for about a month and when I started again I had a heck of a time dropping BG's just after a couple of miles because I wasn't used to it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin are you on and how do you adjust your doses depending on food and exercise?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If you are on MDI, I suggest you check your long-acting insulin by having a carb free lunch. The easiest time of day to exercise, and avoid hypos, is before breakfast.

Reactions: Jollymon