Exercise

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've lost 20% of body weight since I last mentioned running to my doc. That was before my diabetes diagnosis. He did not recommend it. Next time I see him I'll ask him whether, now I'm well within normal body weight, he's less dismissive of the idea of me running. I'm lucky enough to have a long beach 200 metres from home and I have visions (rose tinted perhaps) of running along it early in the morning.
IMO training by walking before starting running is an excellent idea, not just in case of being over-weight. To avoid injuries, the legs need to be strengthened up first, and maybe the heart too. When you do get the all-clear I strongly recommend starting with the run/walk system. I still use this for warmups, long runs and when not feeling good. Jeff Galloway makes a persuasive case for using his run/walk/run method always.
http://jeffgalloway.com/pdf/walkbreaks.pdf

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
To be considered as running both feet have to be off the ground at least momentarily - hence the increased impact. When walking there is always at least part of one foot on the ground. Race walking rules are very strict abut this.
From Wikepedia:
"There are two rules that govern racewalking.[4][5] The first dictates that the athlete's back toe cannot leave the ground until the heel of the front foot has touched. Violation of this rule is known as loss of contact. The second rule requires that the supporting leg must straighten from the point of contact with the ground and remain straightened until the body passes directly over it. These rules are judged by the unaided human eye. Athletes regularly lose contact for a few milliseconds per stride, which can be caught on film, but such a short flight phase is said to be undetectable to the human eye.[citation needed]

Athletes stay low to the ground by keeping their arms pumping low, close to their hips. If one sees a racewalker's shoulders rising, it may be a sign that the athlete is losing contact with the ground. What appears to be an exaggerated swivel to the hip is, in fact, a full rotation of the pelvis. Athletes aim to move the pelvis forward, and to minimize sideways motion in order to achieve maximum forward propulsion. Speed is achieved by stepping quickly with the aim of rapid turnover. This minimizes the risk of the feet leaving the ground. Strides are short and quick, with pushoff coming forward from the ball of the foot, again to minimize the risk of losing contact with the ground. World-class racewalkers (male and female) can average under four and five minutes per kilometre in a 20-km racewalk."

@kitedoc maybe this is the sport for you?
Thank you for the definitions ! At 64 I shall stay with quick walking but not competition.
I agree that it is a choice for those younger !!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At 64 I shall stay with quick walking but not competition.
I agree that it is a choice for those younger !!
At 76 I choose to run as well as walk and train with weights. I find competition in the form of parkrun extremely motivating. Of course how long these activities will continue to choose me is another question. I am keeping Nordic walking in reserve for a time when running is no longer possible. At the same time I am hoping, encouraged by the example of Fauja Singh, to keep on running for a few years yet.

nomorechoccy

I will say that running on sand is hard going unless you mean the dead flat surface when the tide goes out. While saying that I would love to live by the sea.

Just come back from 3 mile brisk walk had some food and taken my first ever Metformin tablet, waiting to see if I get side effects.

Reactions: Alexandra100

nomorechoccy

Good Mood I did the park run in my fastest time this year , moreover I actually managed to sprint ( well run a bit faster ) for the line.

Had butternut squash noodles and veg chilli topped with cheddar for lunch, I used to be so anti veg food but enjoyed it. If you had told me that I would be eating that 6 months ago I would have laughed at you.

2nd day on Metformin and my body was better no wind lol.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Mood I did the park run in my fastest time this year , moreover I actually managed to sprint ( well run a bit faster ) for the line.
Good for you!!! I envy you, but I shall try to do likewise. It's at least 2 years since I did a parkrun but I still have happy memories of one of my last runs where, as I came into the home straight, I heard footsteps behind me, but I was able to accelerate and hold the person off. I afterwards checked the results and found it was a MAN and YOUNGER than me, which as you can imagine made this outcome all the more satisfactory. At present I'd be struggling to run/walk a parkrun, but I'm hoping to get in some solid training and then maybe in October ...?