1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Exercise

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by nomorechoccy, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

IMO training by walking before starting running is an excellent idea, not just in case of being over-weight. To avoid injuries, the legs need to be strengthened up first, and maybe the heart too. When you do get the all-clear I strongly recommend starting with the run/walk system. I still use this for warmups, long runs and when not feeling good. Jeff Galloway makes a persuasive case for using his run/walk/run method always.
    http://jeffgalloway.com/pdf/walkbreaks.pdf

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for the definitions ! At 64 I shall stay with quick walking but not competition.
    I agree that it is a choice for those younger !!

3. Alexandra100

At 76 I choose to run as well as walk and train with weights. I find competition in the form of parkrun extremely motivating. Of course how long these activities will continue to choose me is another question. I am keeping Nordic walking in reserve for a time when running is no longer possible. At the same time I am hoping, encouraged by the example of Fauja Singh, to keep on running for a few years yet.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. nomorechoccy

nomorechoccy · Active Member

I will say that running on sand is hard going unless you mean the dead flat surface when the tide goes out. While saying that I would love to live by the sea.

Just come back from 3 mile brisk walk had some food and taken my first ever Metformin tablet, waiting to see if I get side effects.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. nomorechoccy

nomorechoccy · Active Member

Good Mood I did the park run in my fastest time this year , moreover I actually managed to sprint ( well run a bit faster ) for the line.

Had butternut squash noodles and veg chilli topped with cheddar for lunch, I used to be so anti veg food but enjoyed it. If you had told me that I would be eating that 6 months ago I would have laughed at you.

2nd day on Metformin and my body was better no wind lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Alexandra100

Good for you!!! I envy you, but I shall try to do likewise. It's at least 2 years since I did a parkrun but I still have happy memories of one of my last runs where, as I came into the home straight, I heard footsteps behind me, but I was able to accelerate and hold the person off. I afterwards checked the results and found it was a MAN and YOUNGER than me, which as you can imagine made this outcome all the more satisfactory. At present I'd be struggling to run/walk a parkrun, but I'm hoping to get in some solid training and then maybe in October ...?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook