Exercise

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends what you re trying to get a picture of.
Our BG varies during exercise and variation depends upon the type of exercise, duration, your fitness and your comfort (the affect for me when riding a bike is different when it is sunny and when it is pouring with rain because I am not comfortable in the rain).
Some people find they experience a “rebound” immediately after exercise due to a liver dump but others don’t.
But the affects afterwards are usually a reduction in BG for up to 48 hours.

So, what do you want to know?
Whether your BG is going up or down during exercise?
Whether your body experiences a rebound after exercise?
What the affects of exercise are on your next 48 hour “average”?

If you have not used one already, you may benefit from the 14 day free trial of Libre which will show you all of these effects.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with the above. I found it impossible to test via fingerprick while actually in the middle of exercise, and by the time I'd got off the pitch and back to my bag I was already at or near "usual" levels. My experience is that once the adrenaline drops, BG levels fall very quickly.

A CGM will show you what is happening during and immediately after exercise - although you might need to calibrate it against a before and after fingerprick.

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both. I've heard so much about CGMs but, until now, never really sad the gain for me. I'm going to look around at my options - I know a lot of people seem to go with the Libre and it seems have a pretty good rep, do I will start there

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks both. I've heard so much about CGMs but, until now, never really sad the gain for me. I'm going to look around at my options - I know a lot of people seem to go with the Libre and it seems have a pretty good rep, do I will start there
If you use a smartphone, just go for the two week free trial. ;)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just be aware that the libre isn't always accurate, particularly at high and low levels (and if you lie on the sensor at night you can get false low readings). It may be worth occasionally checking readings against a meter to see how well it works for your body. (Though there are external apps that can be used if you find it reads consistently high or low for your body).

I love my cgm but it does have its limitations.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

joss.t2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a broad rule of thumb how long after exercise should I leave fingerprick testing to get an accurate picture?

They say it lags by about 15 minutes. To get through your blood stream.

Piccyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a broad rule of thumb how long after exercise should I leave fingerprick testing to get an accurate picture?
I play football and my BS will go upto mid 9s and stay there until I eat food, which could be an hour after football finished

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I play football and my BS will go upto mid 9s and stay there until I eat food, which could be an hour after football finished
Have you tried having a really small snack straight after? Eg a small bit of cheese or a few nuts, works for me