Exercise

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that exercise and general activities can be given a 'calories used' value, but is there any equivalent way of judging how many carbs you use on a given activity, I do a fast, well for me, walk 5 days a week. It takes me 40 minutes to do about 2 miles, is there any way, other than testing, that I can gauge how many grams of carbs I have used?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hmmm, interesting, I never thought of this before

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends on your weight. If you are heavier then you will use more calories.
There are a number of calculators online, I think the basis of them is a US data base and then they adapt them for various other forms of exercise.
This is one of the most comprehensive I've seen... accuracy?
For 40min at 3mph It says: 126 cal at 9st, 140 cal at 10 stone , 154 cal at 11 stone....

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
won't tell you how many carbs you've used since it doesn't really work that way, we use both glucose and fats all the time. If you're sprinting or breathing heavily then there will be more glucose in the mix, flat out and it is mostly glucose used. if your exercise is less strenuous then there will be more fat in the mix More strenuous exercise will however need more total energy and hence use more calories per hour .

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/01 ... art-3-fat/

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
always learning stuff from you pheonix, thankyou, i only normally understand parts of what you say but i always learn from you :thumbup:

H

Hooked

I'm overweight and walk about an hour to an hour and a half every day. Having worn a CGM for a week I was able to see that exercise has very little, sometimes no, effect on my levels. Even though I'm walking at a decent pace and raising my heart rate. Having spoken to a dietician who is also T1 diabetic, she tells me that if it's an activity you do regularly over a long period of time your body adjusts to that being the norm.

Running, when I used to be able for it, used to raise my levels of I ran over about 5 miles thanks to my liver kicking in.

So, the point I'm trying to make its that you can't really use the calorie to carb ratio to work it out as the liver and other factors effecting glucose levels can't be reckoned for.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
once upon a time.... my bgs where say 5 or 6 whilst exercising daily then i had an injury which meant taking it easy for a week or two and my bgs went to 9 and 10 each day, then back to the exercise and i was back in the 5s and 6s again, my diet was the same, i havent had a break since but im sure it has a good effect on me

Rockape671

Hooked said:
I'm overweight and walk about an hour to an hour and a half every day. Having worn a CGM for a week I was able to see that exercise has very little, sometimes no, effect on my levels. Even though I'm walking at a decent pace and raising my heart rate. Having spoken to a dietician who is also T1 diabetic, she tells me that if it's an activity you do regularly over a long period of time your body adjusts to that being the norm.

Running, when I used to be able for it, used to raise my levels of I ran over about 5 miles thanks to my liver kicking in.

So, the point I'm trying to make its that you can't really use the calorie to carb ratio to work it out as the liver and other factors effecting glucose levels can't be reckoned for.

I run for 20 minutes every day,( with a wee break when diagnosed) have done for 4 years, and my blood sugar drops by approx. 4 mmol each time,(one time it dropped from 12 to 4 :shock: ) I guess we're all different. Never had it go up yet but maybe I'm not running far enough!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You say exercise has very little affect on your BG levels but unless you stop doing it, it would be difficult to tell ! The exercise may just keep your levels steady. If you stop, they may creep up so the exercise may have some effect on sugars but not always noticeable.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Joyola said:
I know that exercise and general activities can be given a 'calories used' value, but is there any equivalent way of judging how many carbs you use on a given activity, I do a fast, well for me, walk 5 days a week. It takes me 40 minutes to do about 2 miles, is there any way, other than testing, that I can gauge how many grams of carbs I have used?

On a treadmill, I do a mile, in about 16 minutes, at 6kph, with a 15% gradient. Heartrate I can usually get to 140, if I don't I speed it up a bit.
That's around 200 calories.
So I reckon I work off the ryvita, ham and cheese I have for breakfast, which is about 200 calories.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its very difficult to be sure exactly what energy source you are using (carbs or body fats, or even alcohol), but there is supposedly a difference in the ratios depending on the form of exercise you take and how hard at it you go. In theory low level exercise will tend to burn more fat, medium levels will burn fat and carbs equally and high level exercise will burn more carbs.

Its a big subject so I suggest you google heart rate based training which will cover the principles far better than I can. I have found it extremely helpful

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

H

Hooked

Rockape671 said:
I run for 20 minutes every day,( with a wee break when diagnosed) have done for 4 years, and my blood sugar drops by approx. 4 mmol each time,(one time it dropped from 12 to 4 :shock: ) I guess we're all different. Never had it go up yet but maybe I'm not running far enough!

Exactly; we are all different and the same exercise can have different effects on our own levels alongside all the other factors that have influence on them. It would be so much simpler if it was only the food/insulin/exercise that needed factored in. :crazy:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thommothebear said:
Its very difficult to be sure exactly what energy source you are using (carbs or body fats, or even alcohol), but there is supposedly a difference in the ratios depending on the form of exercise you take and how hard at it you go. In theory low level exercise will tend to burn more fat, medium levels will burn fat and carbs equally and high level exercise will burn more carbs.

Its a big subject so I suggest you google heart rate based training which will cover the principles far better than I can. I have found it extremely helpful

You don't tend to switch to using fats until you've been going for about an hour to 90 mins, until then you are using predominantly carbs whatever the intensity. If you are working at higher intensity, more carbs. Fat metabolism is very high energy, but not quick.

Think like a pancreas has a few tables of exercise and carb requirements.

In my experience I've found it very much intensity related. With my HR <148 I can work with 30-40g/hr carbs. Today on the bike working into the wind, nearer 50-60g/hr, with a few readings lower than I would have liked.

Give me a speed session though, and I can even see BG go up.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing with high intensity intervals training is that it has a lasting effect that continues long after the session has ended, metabolism is raised for up to 30 hours in fact and the fat burn mostly takes place during the recovery period after the exercise is over. It can spike BG, something to do with a stress response, but the low level exercise interval helps bring it back down again. I lost 10% of my total body weight in 10 weeks, mostly through exercise, not over eating and keeping off starchy carbs. I must admit I do a couple of very long sessions every week though as well as the shorter daily sessions.