Expat returning, no GP, how can I get prescription?

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just that, I've been away for 18 months, no longer have a GP or UK address, so wonder how I can get a prescription when I return. I'll be in Airbnb for a while until I find permanent accommodation, but no idea how long that could take. Or should I just bring back loads of Metformin to keep me going?

Answers on an FP10 please....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe it is only a matter of taking some written proof of your address - perhaps a printout of your leasing agreement, to a GP surgery close to where you are to be living in order to register. It might be advisable to take along any evidence of your residence status - any previous information about your connections with the NHS - particularly if there will be information about your medical history held at a UK practice

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@RichardHawkings - How long have you been living abroad, and is it fair to assume you have not been based in an EU country? When you come back, how long do you intend to be here?

In your shoes, provided I could do so, I would bring a decent supply with me, to allow for any unexpected developments or delays on your return.

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys, and Rachox that pdf was spot on, and I didn't know about temporary registration.

BTW The avatar is my dad many decades ago guarding my stash!

Reactions: Brunneria