Experiment anyone?

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see us comparing our morning fasting and post meal levels but has anyone started a thread to compare our post meal spikes at specific times after one kind of food that we can all experiment with (provided you are at least low carb)?
Hello,
I don’t know if we are allowed to post links to another forum here, but I have seen a similar experiment being run elsewhere. I can try and find it and post a link if that would be ok? Could @Rachox or @Brunneria perhaps say if I could go ahead?

Reactions: Cocosilk

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I don’t know if we are allowed to post links to another forum here, but I have seen a similar experiment being run elsewhere. I can try and find it and post a link if that would be ok? Could @Rachox or @Brunneria perhaps say if I could go ahead?
Hooty links can be posted as long as they comply with the forum rules. Specifically:
B 11. Posting web links is permitted, but such links must be relevant to both the Forum, its ethos and the thread title and content. Links deemed irrelevant may be removed.

Reactions: Hooty

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Rachox

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
There is also the additional factor that not everyone is fascinated with blood glucose so much as all-body glucose and low circulating insulin. Neither of which are measurable at home.
How do you measure all-body glucose and how is it different from blood glucose? It is all of the stored fat that can be turned back into glucose?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm. A good try. However I just clicked on the jacket potato one. I only scrolled a little way. It wasn’t just jackets but all sorts of other items eaten at the same time. And all of the first lot were insulin based diabetics. So unfortunately it had no reliance or usefulness to me. Perhaps the other experiments were mor beneficial but I doubt it looking at the titles.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think that you are wrong in wanting data - but what you are proposing would be a dreadful shock to the system for many who are eating low carb.
Many people have spent time, money and effort to restore their metabolism and substituting a dense carb food for the protein with fat and low carb foods is just not to be considered as a sensible course of action.
I never meant for anyone to do that actually. If you don't or can't eat fruit, please don't! I think newbies probably still do until they realise how high the spikes are how much is just stored in the liver. I meant for anyone who still eats fruit to try this so they could also compare how much less eggs will affect their bs.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm. A good try. However I just clicked on the jacket potato one. I only scrolled a little way. It wasn’t just jackets but all sorts of other items eaten at the same time. And all of the first lot were insulin based diabetics. So unfortunately it had no reliance or usefulness to me. Perhaps the other experiments were mor beneficial but I doubt it looking at the titles.
Yes it’s not very controlled as there is so much variation in the meals, and it does seem to be more Type 1’s taking part. I was reminded of it by the OP’s suggestion though, so thought she might like to see it.

M

Member496333

How do you measure all-body glucose and how is it different from blood glucose? It is all of the stored fat that can be turned back into glucose?

To my knowledge it cannot be measured. All-body glucose is that which is contributing to insulin resistance. Cells stuffed full of sugar, held back out of the blood by a firewall of insulin - the liver unable to convert it to fat because it has run out of places to put it. Not measurable but more damaging to eyes, tissues and organs. My goal has always been to minimise insulin circulation. In the medium term this results in the sugar spilling out into the blood when fasting, but in the longer term it allowed me to burn it all off instead of keeping it all locked up.

But all of that is an unnecessary complication for the topic, and also I’m sure some will disagree with my line of thinking, which is fine.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never liked banana, I don't think i ever ate a complete banana in my life. It is not even good for people with high insulin sensitivity, pure sugar.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it’s not very controlled as there is so much variation in the meals, and it does seem to be more Type 1’s taking part. I was reminded of it by the OP’s suggestion though, so thought she might like to see it.
Thanks Hooty, I'm sure I'll find it interesting!

Reactions: Hooty

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
To my knowledge it cannot be measured. All-body glucose is that which is contributing to insulin resistance. Cells stuffed full of sugar, held back out of the blood by a firewall of insulin - the liver unable to convert it to fat because it has run out of places to put it. Not measurable but more damaging to eyes, tissues and organs. My goal has always been to minimise insulin circulation. In the medium term this results in the sugar spilling out into the blood when fasting, but in the longer term it allowed me to burn it all off instead of keeping it all locked up.

But all of that is an unnecessary complication for the topic, and also I’m sure some will disagree with my line of thinking, which is fine.

Ironically, I think everyone's reaction to my thread suggestion is far more interesting than the results of eating a banana would have been. So my thread hasn't gone to waste afterall. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ironically, I think everyone's reaction to my thread suggestion is far more interesting than the results of eating a banana would have been. So my thread hasn't gone to waste afterall. :)

No genuine question or thread is a waste of time especially if we learn something from it please don't be discouraged or nervous about posting in the future :)

Reactions: HSSS

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never meant for anyone to do that actually. If you don't or can't eat fruit, please don't! I think newbies probably still do until they realise how high the spikes are how much is just stored in the liver. I meant for anyone who still eats fruit to try this so they could also compare how much less eggs will affect their bs.
I cn see you are trying to be helpful and maybe find a way for us to avoid the trial and error part of all this. However, we are all different. Our food absorption rates, metabolism, quantities, even ingredients may be different. Foods have different effects at different times of the year as they can have more or less starch in them. But thanks for the idea.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted member 308541

You are the first person I have come across who took such a long time to be able to stop eating them.
I did not have a banana addiction, once I dropped my hba1c down into the high thirties, I worked from there on reducing it further. This I did with a string of 34 mmol/mol readings before I discussed with my GP to stop taking Metformin.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not have a banana addiction, once I dropped my hba1c down into the high thirties, I worked from there on reducing it further. This I did with a string of 34 mmol/mol readings before I discussed with my GP to stop taking Metformin.
But you said it took you two and a half years to get off them...............I am confused : (

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Don't ever be discouraged from posting, spikes are very personal and not everyone has the time (or the fingers) to test 6 times after eating but nothing stops you going ahead and discovering what spikes you. I find if I'm not well or stressed that food that doesn't usually make much of a spike do. At the moment I'm trying to move house, have broken my big toe, am encased in a horrible black orthopaedic boot and told me to stay in bed with it elevated not to use my crutches for more than 5 steps. Everything seems to be spiking me including the fracture clinic consultant who seemed to suggest I was heading for dementia as I had no idea how or when I'd broken my toe. When I told him I had diabetic neuropathy and couldn't actually feel my feet he seemed to think I was definitely headed for dementia. With another six weeks in this boot I think I will be demented by the time I go back!
PS I am using my crutches for more than 5 steps as I'm not staying in bed for more than sleeping, I've got boxes to pack!