Experiment day

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not taking my 1 x Metformin today...... The more I think about I am only taking 1, and I am sure I can control with diet, I have great cholesterol, blood pressure, etc so I don't think that the benefits it gives regarding heart and vascular are as great as it would be if I was taking 2-4 pills a day, and I would benefit more without the urgent trips o the loo.

Started the day at BG 5.6

Lets see what happens..... :D

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, day 1, started at BG 5.6, 6.1, 6.3, 5.2 and ended on 5.8. So not too different from any day with Metformin, I did do a lot of driving today which sometimes raises my levels.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Started at BG 6.3 this morning, a bit busy so missed my after reading, but now before lunch I am BG 5.2.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
I stopped Metformin 2 weeks ago and my levels have not changed one bit.
I can now have a glass or three of red wine without the inevitable toilet results !!!!!!
I've been on these bl**dy pills for 10 so**ing years !!!
Obviously I'll keep a very good eye (no retinopathy yet !) on the levels.

GLA Superchip

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
End of day 4 is looking amazing.

Started with 5.8, 6.8 after breakfast then gym, 6.6 30 mins after, 6.2 1 hour after. 4.7 before dinner, 5.1 after, and just now before bed 4.4. Boy do I ache after gym, gonna be sore in the morning.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's results with no meds is....

5.5, 5.7, 5.0, 5.2, 4.8 now off to sleep :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hardly surprising though, one metformin tablet will have virtually no impact on bg levels anyway, the max dose will only help to reduce levels by between 1 and 2 mmol/L so one 500mg tablet I would expect to have between zero and .5 mmol/L at max.

I would personally still take the one tablet though just to help guard against cardiac and some cancer risks, as I understand it one tablet still gives all those benefits it just wont help much to lower bg levels and if tummy upsets are an issue there is always the SR version.

And of course the free prescriptions are not to be sniffed at either---what are they now, £7 or something every time you need a pill, cream or potion.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
Hardly surprising though, one metformin tablet will have virtually no impact on bg levels anyway, the max dose will only help to reduce levels by between 1 and 2 mmol/L so one 500mg tablet I would expect to have between zero and .5 mmol/L at max.

I would personally still take the one tablet though just to help guard against cardiac and some cancer risks, as I understand it one tablet still gives all those benefits it just wont help much to lower bg levels and if tummy upsets are an issue there is always the SR version.

And of course the free prescriptions are not to be sniffed at either---what are they now, £7 or something every time you need a pill, cream or potion.

If the max dose of Metformin x 4 only just helps with B levels by 1 or 2 mmol/L then does 1 really have that much help towards cardiac and cancers? I am liking the zero effect on the toilet situation, I think would rather get this back than take a pill. The risk of cancer and heart issues can hit anytime for a non diabetic or diabetic and does not discriminate.

As for free prescriptions, yes it's nice, but I would rather pay as and when I need them, again if it make my tummy normal. I can plan things and not worry.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
I would personally still take the one tablet though just to help guard against cardiac and some cancer risks, as I understand it one tablet still gives all those benefits ...
Do you know if the information about metformin and risk has been studied in diabetics on a lchf diet, or just for a "normal" carb group?

Defren

BioHaZarD said:
If the max dose of Metformin x 4 only just helps with B levels by 1 or 2 mmol/L then does 1 really have that much help towards cardiac and cancers? I am liking the zero effect on the toilet situation, I think would rather get this back than take a pill. The risk of cancer and heart issues can hit anytime for a non diabetic or diabetic and does not discriminate.

As for free prescriptions, yes it's nice, but I would rather pay as and when I need them, again if it make my tummy normal. I can plan things and not worry.

While I can see why you have chosen not to take Metformin, I was leaning to asking for it to be reduced or stopped. Then after reading the protective qualities, I think I prefer to stay on it. I am on 500mg twice a day and don't have any adverse reactions (now). If I had been in your shoes, I think I would have been terribly torn between taking and not taking. I will continue to watch your figures with interest, but I think I will probably remain on the drug, certainly for the foreseeable future.

Good luck.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Have sidelined the metformin as reported earlier since the 13th inst. Now 2030 hrs level 4.7 ! why have I been taking this C**p for so long ? The medical so-called " profession" have a lot to answer for, I Think that they are charlatans in white coats.

It is about time we called a halt to these propaganda monkeys and demand some accountability for their arbitary diagnoses of theoretical diseases ! Where did they learn their trade ? From very old people who learned from even older ne'er do wells !

All right Rodney ?

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Defren said:
BioHaZarD said:

While I can see why you have chosen not to take Metformin, I was leaning to asking for it to be reduced or stopped. Then after reading the protective qualities, I think I prefer to stay on it. I am on 500mg twice a day and don't have any adverse reactions (now). If I had been in your shoes, I think I would have been terribly torn between taking and not taking. I will continue to watch your figures with interest, but I think I will probably remain on the drug, certainly for the foreseeable future.

Good luck.

I know what you mean, I thought about it for long time, my mum and dad both had type 2 my mum had all sorts of trouble and was taking everything and insulin. My mind was not to end up on meds and any complications.

So far today my figures have been excellent, will post later when done final test.

angua

Out of interest, I hear a lot about the benefits of Metformin for cardiovascular protection - can anyone tell me where I can find supportive evidence ?

Gilly

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also like to hear about these cardovascular benefits too as i have stopped my Metformin SR due to side-effects.