explaining what it's really like to live with Type 1

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Wow Snapsy - what an amazing read, I completely resonate with all of this. I feel like showing this to my consultant and DSN !!

Having type 1 at times can make me feel so alone, I can't share the multitude of thoughts that go through my mind with anyone else, but you have pinpointed exactly all of it in this post. It is always walking a tightrope to me, i've become less social since diagnosis but to be honest it is too much effort that no one else understands. To me it's a 24 hour condition, I am always either monitoring/thinking or doing something connected to my type 1, if I wake up at night I immediately think am I high/low. I am still waiting for it to become second nature so maybe I can go back to being my old carefree self again, but somehow I don't think that will happen..

It is also work in progress, constantly, each day tweaking and analysing, every event requires meticulous planning. I gave up my old sales job because the anxiety of having and worrying about hypos was too much and was wearing me out. I now have an easy desk job on alot less money, and of course less exercise but then I don't have to worry about the embarrassment of having a hypo in front of strangers in a meeting which had run over anymore.

I do take better care of myself nowadays, less alcohol, more exercise, better food, but all of that is the combined result of wanting to get better BG levels and to stick around to a ripe old age to watch my gorgeous daughter grow up.
I once had a manager who told me that he thought I was always thinking about something else----dead right I was because I was mind monitoring my condition.....!!!!!!

Reactions: Juicyj

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
If you go to YouTube and type in #Type1uncut you will find some useful and informative video's of what it's like to live with type 1 diabetes, here's some information about how #Type1uncut came about:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Type-1-Uncut-for-young-adults/

I quite like the following, it's an amusing take on the frustrations of everyday life with type 1 like testing, injecting and clinic appointments to name a few:

I would say to a newly diagnosed T1 don't pay any attention to that video, It can be hard work but it's not as bad as that! 43 yrs T1 and i've never been that stressed!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say to a newly diagnosed T1 don't pay any attention to that video, It can be hard work but it's not as bad as that! 43 yrs T1 and i've never been that stressed!
I guess nobody's going to take me seriously but if you're not stressed you'renot paying attention.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think being stressed is going to help anyone concentrate.
As for the video, obviously over exaggerated but we all have days a bit like that.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't think being stressed is going to help anyone concentrate.
As for the video, obviously over exaggerated but we all have days a bit like that.
I think if i'de seen that video when I was diagnosed at 16 it would have frightened the life out of me, not really what a newly diagnosed T1 needs, like I said it's not as bad as that is it?

Stevieyo_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve never been one for posting in forums, more of a lurker who just browses through. But so many posts in this thread are so relatable! I’ve been T1 since around age 13 (29 now) and as with anything has had it’s highs and lows (pun intended). Growing up with a dad who was also T1 softened the blow slightly as it was already kind of normal, but him being a poor diabetic left me kind of flying solo. Being a massive worry I didn’t eat chocolate or sweets for the first 6 years or so, that’s certainly changed! One of the biggest annoyances for me is being asked to go to the toilets to inject in restaurants or other places, just makes me more adamant to do it where I like rather than in a dirty toilet! It’s scary how it’s just become the norm counting carbs, checking sugars, injections etc but it’s definitely made me value life more and make me more determined to not let anything beat me which I’m thankful for, weirdly! I feel like I’m rambling and could for ages so I think I’ll stop here...

Stevie

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Stevieyo_ . Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got a grip on this diabetes stuff:).
Please keep rambling as I'm sure your ramblings will be of great help to others.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do people really get strange looks when they inject in public? I can't say i've ever had one and i've never been told to go into the lav to inject, perhaps i've just been lucky.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't do it in public if I can possibly avoid it, who would actually want people to see that?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't do it in public if I can possibly avoid it, who would actually want people to see that?

Another insulin dependant? ;)

Do people really get strange looks when they inject in public? I can't say i've ever had one and i've never been told to go into the lav to inject, perhaps i've just been lucky.

Snap! I've not had greif neither. :cool:

Reactions: mountaintom

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
People generally don't notice, or if they do don't care. I sat next to the same guy at work for 5 years and I always injected at my desk. It came up once in conversation and he was surprised that I had been doing it! If you act like it's normal and no big deal people will follow your lead.

Reactions: Dodo

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
People generally don't notice, or if they do don't care. I sat next to the same guy at work for 5 years and I always injected at my desk. It came up once in conversation and he was surprised that I had been doing it! If you act like it's normal and no big deal people will follow your lead.
I was at a restaurant the other week with a big group of people. My being diagnosed came up and I was asked a barrage of questions, including if I have to use insulin. I told them what the regime was and one person asked "So, will you have to give yourself an injection for this meal?". I told him I already had about 10 minutes ago. They were all nattering and didn't notice.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the other foot, who would actually be in the slightest bit bothered about seeing someone doing an insulin shot?
You'd be surprised. Last year I took the grandkids out for the day, my 6 yr old granddaughter bought her best friend along.
Come meal/ picnic time, all the food was laid out and I started the BS test process. My granddaughter at this point told her friend that I was diabetic ( along with the fact I wouldn't be eating any cakes:):):)). Well her friend wanted to know everything and was asking my granddaughter question upon question. When she found out that I was going to inject insulin there and then she was fascinated. Ultimately she sat there with her nose maybe 6 inches from my stomach whilst I injected and WOW was her only comment.
I hope that the event educated her about injections and maybe a little about diabetes.:)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep we are ninjas. Curiosity and admiration is what I hope and do get overtly if doing anything diabetic in public. Someone did once get up and move seats on a train once (height of the AIDs panic) which netted me a double seat on a long train ride...If I am in a work situation or with friends that do not know about diabetes, then I say I hope you aren't squeamish because I need to test etc. I would really resent having to test/inject in a public loo or wait until I got home.

Reactions: mountaintom