Expressing/Breastfeeding volumes

Leigh Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, does anyone know if having type 1 diabetes and diabetic mastopathy could cause problems with milk supply when expressing/breastfeeding?

My baby boy was born at 28 weeks and has been in NICU and special care for the last 4 weeks. I've been expressing for him with a hospital breast pump but my volumes are decreasing rather than increasing, whilst his feeding volumes are increasing, so they're having to supplement his feeds with formula.

I've had mastopathy for a number of years and one of the lumps I have is fairly close to my nipple. I'm type 1 and on an insulin pump with good control.

Thanks,
Leigh
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1444809408.289980.jpg

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd also add that pumping doesn't tend to empty the breast as well as a baby does, so that can reduce milk a little.

I think you're doing fantastically pumping for your son. All I can suggest is to keep on going. Don't be disheartened by the fact he needs supplementary feeds, and don't worry about the amount of milk other mums are making. Your supply isn't established yet (I read it can take 12 weeks). I'm presuming you do night pumps as that helps the supply a lot. That, eating well and resting. You may also find that hand-expressing after a pump will get a little more out.

All the best to you and your son :)

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree with @azure. My son was in NICU (SCBU in those days). He was born at 30 weeks. I expressed too and had problems with it, even though I wasn't diabetic or have mastopathy. Have you been advised to take a photo of your little one, or some of his clothing so that you can 'smell' him whilst you are expressing? That helped me a little, I felt closer to him and the whole thing was a bit more natural.

I managed to give my son some of my milk at every feed until he was 4 months old (though the first 2 months were spent in hospital) Unfortunately I had to top up with bottle when he got home because his sucking reflexes just weren't strong enough and he was exhausting himself trying. Hopefully though you will be able to fully breastfeed, you are doing really well and every single drop of your milk is helping him loads. :)

Well done :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My son was only in NICU a short time but I remember how hard it was to do all that pumping. I think different women have different needs. I found I needed to pump for longer than the midwives said. Just to repeat again that you shouldn't worry about all those women you read about online who seem to pump gallons a day. Theyre an exception, not the rule, I think!

I forgot to add that drinking plenty of water can help supply. Here's a site I found useful:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/exclusive-pumping/#IncreasingSupply

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Leigh
Congratulations.
Sorry don't know about mastopathy but I do know about type1 diabetic on a pump with a child in neonatal unit and expressing.

My eldest (2 next week) was in neonatal unit and I expressed for her but found i didn't have much milk supply and stopped by around 4 months of combination feeding. She couldn't latch either so I couldn't stimulate supply that way once she came out.

I have just had twins last month and my little boy went into intensive care for a month (just come home) and his twin sister had to be ng tubed for about 10days before she started demanding feeds. She wouldn't latch and because I was concerned about her blood sugars I opted to give her formula (my eldest had no blood sugars).
With everything going on I didn't start expressing until about day3.

Anyhow as we were in separate hospitals with my twins (nightmare) I expressed at both hospitals. They would set up screens and pumping for me next to my little boy whilst he was in intensive care etc. I have also tried to drink loads of water this time.
I am 5w after having my twins born at 35w and my supply is good from expressing now-neither twin could latch. I did hire the hospital grade pump which I think has helped. I am combination feeding by bottle my twin girl and mainly giving express to my little boy as feel he needs it more.

Whatever happens you are doing the best for your son. I felt so guilty with my eldest about not being able to bf her and ended up in tears but you are giving him something.

Make sure you pump regularly at least 8-10 times per day and at least once between 1-5am, drink lots and lots of water, try and relax and not get stressed.

Good luck from a fellow pumper!!
x

Leigh Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all your replies, advice & support. I'll keep persevering but my volumes still seem to be dropping despite following all the advice I've received from the nurses, midwives & breastfeeding advisor. I'm hoping with time my volumes increase!

Leigh x

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, keep persevering. Try not to worry about volume, all you can do is your best and like I said before every single drop of your milk that he gets benefits him greatly.

Well done.