Extreme chocolate

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried the Hotel Chocolate drinking chocolate
I couldn't resist checking this on the website and found it has only 9.8g carbs per 100g, which makes it "affordable" for many low carb budgets. I was surprised to find that by contrast Morrisons cocoa contains 11.5g carbs per 100g!!!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 I did too but I couldnt understand why the Classic Hot Choc was lower carb than the Dark (85%) Hot choc. I wonder how much trust we can place in these websites.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hotel Chocolat hot choc is actually grated chocolate not powder
So I could just grate my own, which works out cheaper and would be a way to use up the broken buttons that come at the bottom of the bag. The whisk looks very promising (thanks Brunneria!).

I have just been on the Hotel Chocolat site and was offered a code for free delivery when spending over £35: CHOCSDEL. In this context £35 is easily spent.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't resist checking this on the website and found it has only 9.8g carbs per 100g, which makes it "affordable" for many low carb budgets. I was surprised to find that by contrast Morrisons cocoa contains 11.5g carbs per 100g!!!
Hotel Chocolat 70% Hot Chocolate claims 9.8g carbs as against 12.4 for the 100% which contains only cocoa solids. Then there is their Dark Hot Chocolate at 11.7g carbs. The difference appears to be due to the inclusion of soya lecithin in all but the 100%. I shall be sticking with the 100% chocolate drops claiming 10.4g carbs per 100g AND costing less.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder how much trust we can place in these websites.
I don't trust the carb counts on websites or on labels generally, just as I don't trust home meters or A1c tests, but unfortunately they are all we have, so I more or less behave as if I did trust them.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you manage to break up the thick part of the bar? I still have half of one in the cupboard awaiting processing. Are they hoping we will eat the whole half bar at once?

I'm not a chocolate eaterer, except for the very rare time I'll have some grated over cream, with berries.

You could either grate it, to whichever level of fine/course you choose, or shave it with a vegetable peeler. Alternatively a decent coffee/spice mill might mill it for you. I'm not familiar with the brand per se, but grating or peeling would work, I'd have thought.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a chocolate eaterer, except for the very rare time I'll have some grated over cream, with berries.

You could either grate it, to whichever level of fine/course you choose, or shave it with a vegetable peeler. Alternatively a decent coffee/spice mill might mill it for you. I'm not familiar with the brand per se, but grating or peeling would work, I'd have thought.
Thanks, very helpful! I can see I need to go in for more lateral thinking. Good against the Alzheimer's too!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love chocolate, but anything over 85% is too bitter for me.

Making low-carb chocolate is surprisingly easy - good quality cocoa, butter and splenda

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you manage to break up the thick part of the bar? I still have half of one in the cupboard awaiting processing. Are they hoping we will eat the whole half bar at once?

Bash with a rolling pin

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been on the Hotel Chocolat site and was offered a code for free delivery when spending over £35: CHOCSDEL
Today the 100% chocolate drops are still out of stock in all the shops I could get to, so I tried to order online. The code for free delivery didn't work, but I telephoned, bought 7 packs @£5.0 and they honoured the free delivery. I was not surprised by any of this as whenever I have a discount code from Hotel Chocolat it fails to work, but they are so nice they always give me the reduction anyway.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Marzipan one from threshers on old London Bridge train station used to be my favourite, til I was diagnosed.

I loved marzipan too. I’ve found the Carb Killa Birthday Cake Flavour bar tastes close to marzipan. It’s a limited edition though, so I’ve bought a box!

Reactions: ickihun

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does the high choc bars help with iron deficiency ???
Yes. It can. I discovered this when I was looking for justification to eat dark chocolate - other than love.;) " A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving contains 3.3 mg of iron, which is 19% of the RDI.
This small serving also packs 25% and 16% of the RDIs for copper and magnesium respectively.
In addition, it contains prebiotic fiber, which nourishes the friendly bacteria in your gut." (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-healthy-iron-rich-foods#section4) So be guilt free as you munch your chocolate:hungry: Just don't over do it.