Extreme tiredness

everest13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I am type 1 and have been for 20 odd years now. I've always been reasonably well controlled but as age catches up with me I am trying to be much more on top of it. My main worry currently is - does anyone experience extreme fatigue with their diabetes? I usually get episodes in the afternoon, usually 2 hours or so after eating where I am at the stage where I can barely stay awake. This can happen in meetings at work and can be extremely embarrassing. It doesn't seem to relate the blood sugars as these have often been in range at the time of this occurring. I often eat sandwiches for lunch and was wondering if it could be related to the consumption of bread (will usually be granary or wholemeal bread) I get a good amount of sleep so I am not over-tired. My thyroid function is tested regularly and I take Thyroxine which helps maintain this at a good level. There's nothing else I can think of. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @everest13 Welcome to the forum, would you like me to move your post into the type 1 area for better visibility with other type 1's ?

There is a similar topic another member is currently discussing here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/always-tired.124165/#post-1518676

Other members have commented on bread affecting their energy levels, particularly after a couple of hours so it may be worth trying an alternative for a few days to see if this is the cause, I tend to eat salads and soups during the day and keep good energy levels, other's have found an iron deficiency has contributed to their energy levels. It is something I would recommend speaking to your GP about as it is worth getting this checked out :)

Reactions: everest13

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I frequently fall asleep, normally I have had a roller coaster ride with BSL, however I'm well on the way down by the time I get extremely tiered, but it hits me. I find a bad nights sleep exacerbates the problem. I also find if I can keep a spike from occurring it's not as bad.