extreme tiredness

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
feel like dr has said yes diabetes lose weight exercise bye bye hi all me back again with yet more questions sorry to be a pain does anybody suffer severe tiredness because of their diabetes im shattered most days and can sleep ten hours no problem i am worried about this and im scared im anaemic drs wont blood test me again because they say its fine please let me know if tiredness is a big part of this im on low carb diet too thank you

Reactions: KookieMunchster

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Two issues here (hopefully some T2s will correct me if I'm getting it wrong)
1) high blood sugars cause tiredness
2) Sugar is addictive and the initial phases of a low carb diet will cause tiredness as you get used to less sugar in your diet.

Do you have access to blood testing strips so you can test your blood sugar?

D

Deleted Account

Do you test your blood sugars?
Tiredness is a symptom of high blood sugar.

However, I am not saying it is the only cause of tiredness. It is very easy, once we have the diagnosis, to blame everything on diabetes.

As I have type 1 diabetes which is managed differently to type 2, I cannot offer much advice - hopefully, one of the many helpful guys with type 2 will be along soon.

Reactions: EllieM

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
feel like dr has said yes diabetes lose weight exercise bye bye hi all me back again with yet more questions sorry to be a pain does anybody suffer severe tiredness because of their diabetes im shattered most days and can sleep ten hours no problem i am worried about this and im scared im anaemic drs wont blood test me again because they say its fine please let me know if tiredness is a big part of this im on low carb diet too thank you
If you just started with low carb it might be withdrawal symptoms and your body needs time to operate on low glucose then usual.
What do you eat on low carb? And when you feel tired? After having meals? I do agree above posters that you need to check your BG to know if that is causing the issue.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I have extreme tiredness, however I also have fibromyalgia and inflammatory arthritis. Many of the drugs I'm on cause it to.
However the others are correct it is a symptom of high blood sugar.
Hope it's controlled soon.
Take care

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you trying to do low fat as well as low carb?
With all the propaganda about low fat being essential for life quite a few people are misled.
Eating the normal fat which comes along with meat and dairy products supplies energy, though if you are just starting out on low carb then your body is making a lot of adjustments to cope with the different foods, and that can be rather draining.

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
i dont test mt blood sugars dr said i dont need to but should i be doing this is what i mean diagnose and no help hardly eyes and feet thats it i will get a meter and start i also have fibromyalgia and that also wears me out thanks for advice

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i dont test mt blood sugars dr said i dont need to but should i be doing this is what i mean diagnose and no help hardly eyes and feet thats it i will get a meter and start i also have fibromyalgia and that also wears me out thanks for advice

Definitely get a meter. It will help you enormously. Your doctor was wrong .

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I was diagnosed I was constantly tired. Infact, it wasn't so much feeling tired but more like I had no energy. That's why I went to the doctors in the first place. I also went low carb / high fat immediately and as I got my sugar levels down my energy levels increased. I still feel tired sometimes, but as others have said, you shouldn't put everything down to diabetes. Were you feeling tired before you were diagnosed? Also, how long is it since you were diagnosed and changed your diet. Give it a little time. You really will benefit from getting a meter as you can test to see how foods affect your sugar levels and if you feel really tired, you could test to see if your sugar level is high. Do let us know how you get on. You'll get there. Take care

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I'm always tired, and it takes a lot of willpower to get up, go to work and function throughout the day. Even when my blood sugar is normal, I just blame getting old on feeling tired all the time.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tiredness is a symptom of just about every illness and condition out there.

As others have said adjusting to going low carb can be draining if it’s only started since the change of eating. Make sure you aren’t depriving yourself of energy by trying to do low fat as well as low carb. Also make sure you’re getting enough water and electrolytes (add some salt) as less processed food and higher fluid levels mean electrolytes are lowered and get ‘washed’ out more easily and can make you feel truly pants if they drop. Mostly magnesium and potassium.

If it still doesn’t go away check FBC, iron levels, not just Hemoglobin but also ferretin, also b12, vitamin d and thyroid levels. And get the actual number results not just “normal”. Too often you can be right at the lower level, or even a bit below, and it gets written off as ok. And that’s before we discuss if nhs levels are optimal or just typical of a general population that will also include sick people and whether you personally need to be at one end of the “normal range” and are in fact sat at the other far end but still “normal”

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Helloooo, I'm not T2 but i'm a chronically tired T1.

I have to agree it's either high BG
or lack of vitamins - lately some sun shine has helped to get my butt out of bed and conquer the day.
or depression/ mental health illness - when I was depressed or in a very dark place, I'd sleep for 18 hours and some times I couldn't sleep at all.

I hope you feel better soon, :)

DawnOfTheZed

Sorry to read about everyone's symptoms here and big hugs to you all. Fatigue and brain fog were the triggers of my diagnosis, so much sympathy to you. Few months down the road with controlled blood sugar and taking Vit D and Mg, and my energy is returning.