Eye Issues

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone who has had maculopathy describe the deterioration or symptoms they experienced with their eyesight before any treatment was involved like laser or injections.

I have it in my right eye but I seem to be getting short bursts of blurriness which last a few days and then settle.

I am currently in one of those spells now and it seems its more noticeable when my blood sugars are at a normal level, which is annoying as thats what i need to do to prevent further deterioration.

I suppose I am just looking for some personal experiences so I can form an opinion on whats normal and what to expect.

Thanks........;)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks @azure - :)

hey @novorapidboi26
I have had a deterioration in my left eye caused by maculopathy.
My deterioration has been quite gradual.
It started about 7 years ago and it was really only reading all the funky letters at clinic that alerted us to the fact My sight was not as sharp.

The ophthalmologist told me there was a tiny "bubble" ( as he called it ) right next to my retina
so close that it cannot be lasered safely.

it is sort of weird too -- because I can still see fine out of my left eye -- it is just that my focus is not as sharp as in my right eye.
I don't do well on the eye chart below the 3rd row of letters -- they get quite blurry -- it is perfect eyesight in my right eye that keeps me going !!

Last edited:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The ophthalmologist told me there was a tiny "bubble" ( as he called it ) right next to my retina
so close that it cannot be lasered safely.

So does the proximity to the retina mean no treatment is available...?

what about injections....?

For me the symptoms are out of focus vision as well, my eye sight is actually good....

its just really quite uncomfortable the feeling it give you.....my eye thinks there is something in it and I start to rub it which doesn't help...

think I might need to invest in a pirates eye patch....;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For me the symptoms are out of focus vision as well, my eye sight is actually good....

its just really quite uncomfortable the feeling it give you.....my eye thinks there is something in it and I start to rub it which doesn't help...

Novorapidboi - I have no experience of this myself. I know @Jaylee has has some "eye stuff" going on in the past, so I've tagged him, should he have anything meaningful to add.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was diagnosed with this late last year and will be interested in the results from my next eye exam in July

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone who has had maculopathy describe the deterioration or symptoms they experienced with their eyesight before any treatment was involved like laser or injections.

I have it in my right eye but I seem to be getting short bursts of blurriness which last a few days and then settle.

I am currently in one of those spells now and it seems its more noticeable when my blood sugars are at a normal level, which is annoying as thats what i need to do to prevent further deterioration.

I suppose I am just looking for some personal experiences so I can form an opinion on whats normal and what to expect.

Thanks........;)

Hi,
yep I've seen the scans on my eyes with the macula thing... There was a fluid bulge on the macula region that distorts vision..

I had injections.. So far the results are great!

Prior to treatment I did find it frustrating getting new reading prescription lenses & having the odd day when I may as well not bother wearing them?

Have you been referred for the scans?

Reactions: Kevin259

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

i have had 3 injections ( Lucentis )
they did not alter things much -- no worse but not much better

I have worn the noctura 400 sleep mask for around 2 years which did make a difference in macular layer thickness ( down from approx. 370 micron to 320 micron )

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been referred for the scans?

I've just had my latest and second scan since being told fluid was present....which I assume mean bulge.....

So I am waiting to hear back from that....

but the effected eye is definitely blurred on and off...and it can be quite uncomfortable....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just had my latest and second scan since being told fluid was present....which I assume mean bulge.....

So I am waiting to hear back from that....

but the effected eye is definitely blurred on and off...and it can be quite uncomfortable....

"Blurred on & off."
This does kinda sound similar to what I had.. But with the "close work" stuff.. Reading, soldering, anything with detail?
I used to have to focus to a distant spot then back to what was in my periferal..?

It was an eye test at the opticians (ironically, Specsavers.) that threw up the anomaly. & they referred me to the eye clinic.
The eye test alone on that day accessing new prescription lenses for reading was a pain. Though they did OK me to drive...
They wouldn't touch me again for lenses until I had a thumbs up from the eye consultant at the hospital.. This took about 9 months..
I was seriously worried about the ramifications on my driving licence. Again. The hospital assured I was fit for the road!

I've had about 9 Lucientis jabs in the right eye. (One a month X6, then 3 more every 2 months.) though, for the last 4 months I've not needed the right eye treating..
& 6 Eyelea in the left.. (One a month just completed this course.) I'm at the eye clinic every 4 weeks for check ups. The left was sorted before the course of Eyelea was even finished. This all started over 16/18 month back?
The frequency of the checkup scans should decrease as things settle down..

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
"Blurred on & off."
This does kinda sound similar to what I had.. But with the "close work" stuff.. Reading, soldering, anything with detail?
I used to have to focus to a distant spot then back to what was in my periferal..?

It was an eye test at the opticians (ironically, Specsavers.) that threw up the anomaly. & they referred me to the eye clinic.
The eye test alone on that day accessing new prescription lenses for reading was a pain. Though they did OK me to drive...
They wouldn't touch me again for lenses until I had a thumbs up from the eye consultant at the hospital.. This took about 9 months..
I was seriously worried about the ramifications on my driving licence. Again. The hospital assured I was fit for the road!

I've had about 9 Lucientis jabs in the right eye. (One a month X6, then 3 more every 2 months.) though, for the last 4 months I've not needed the right eye treating..
& 6 Eyelea in the left.. (One a month just completed this course.) I'm at the eye clinic every 4 weeks for check ups. The left was sorted before the course of Eyelea was even finished. This all started over 16/18 month back?
The frequency of the checkup scans should decrease as things settle down..

what do these injections actually do.....?

if i tighten things right down and get these injections can I maintain normal eyesight for the foreseeable future....?

i am currently waiting for some kind of letter from the clinic but I think I should really be going in sooner rather than later....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what do these injections actually do.....?

if i tighten things right down and get these injections can I maintain normal eyesight for the foreseeable future....?

i am currently waiting for some kind of letter from the clinic but I think I should really be going in sooner rather than later....

That is good question..! The injections reduce the swelling of fluid on the macula.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetic-maculopathy.html

If by "tighten things down" you mean D managment? That goes without saying.. But do it in steady stages with regards to A1c lowering & wot not..
I went at it like a "mad man" & subsequently found out that fast control can cause eye damage too?! :banghead: (Tagging in the source @noblehead .)

Once that letter arrives. The ball should be rolling & the clinic will determine the best treatment solution for you..

I'm certainly maintaining normal eyesight, in some cases, better.. You don't realize how the vision can depreciate as time goes on..

Let's just say I don't need to "pinch & zoom" as I was over a year ago regarding reply on an iPad mini... :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is good question..! The injections reduce the swelling of fluid on the macula.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetic-maculopathy.html

If by "tighten things down" you mean D managment? That goes without saying.. But do it in steady stages with regards to A1c lowering & wot not..
I went at it like a "mad man" & subsequently found out that fast control can cause eye damage too?! :banghead: (Tagging in the source @noblehead .)

Once that letter arrives. The ball should be rolling & the clinic will determine the best treatment solution for you..

I'm certainly maintaining normal eyesight, in some cases, better.. You don't realize how the vision can depreciate as time goes on..

Let's just say I don't need to "pinch & zoom" as I was over a year ago regarding reply on an iPad mini... :)

Thanks for your replies here.....

I think the occurrence of my initial reitnopathy was down to an overnight, and I mean that literally, improvement in control....

my maculopathy has been a result of large short term spikes and then quickly returning to normal.....

so, when I say tightening thats what I mean....my control is average, I have never had any dramatic reductions or increases in HbA1c since going from the mixed insulin to MDI....so hopefully I can manage the reduction easily....

you mentioned driving license.....what treatments do you need to inform the DVLA off.....what have you had to do...?

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been following the advice and suggestions to this initial question and have a simple home test that anyone can do for themselves who suffers or suspects that they have macular problems to see if their condition is stable, worsening, of if indeed is self detectable by themselves.
As with all things concerning the eyes, you should always seek professional advice- That said this is what you can do for yourself at home.
Using a clear white sheet of paper (say A4 size) draw a succession of horrizontal and vertical lines as accurately as you can spaced approx 1/2 inch apart. Something like 15 x 20 lines is usually fine. The clever ones out there could probably easily manage to print the grid out using their PC's.
Mark a central spot in the middle of this grid, and holding the home made grid approximately 12" away from you, covering one eye and look with the other eye upon the central spot.
You should see an even displacement of both the horizontal and vertical lines.
Someone with any macular displacement problems in which the surface of retina may be minutely 'blistered' or distorted, would notice some form of irregularity in the overal pattern of either the horizontal or vertical lines, and more commonly in both.
A simple home made test, but very effective.

Hope this is of use to all - Lazybones

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks....

The optician gave me a small card which looks like a target for this very test you speak of....going to check it later...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies here.....

I think the occurrence of my initial reitnopathy was down to an overnight, and I mean that literally, improvement in control....

my maculopathy has been a result of large short term spikes and then quickly returning to normal.....

so, when I say tightening thats what I mean....my control is average, I have never had any dramatic reductions or increases in HbA1c since going from the mixed insulin to MDI....so hopefully I can manage the reduction easily....

you mentioned driving license.....what treatments do you need to inform the DVLA off.....what have you had to do...?

The DVLA? Well?!! Firstly I made sure with the consultants that I was "legal" with the eyes.. (That declaring any eye treatment as such wouldn't set me back.)
There was no point in reapplying for my licence if I was to be turned down medically.. (I would have hung up my keys if the advice was not to drive anyway.)

So. Late last year my licence was up for renewal.. At this point I had only technically had treatment (injections ) in the right eye.

You may notice on the DVLA licence renewal they ask "have you had treatment in both eyes or a remaing eye?" (Words to that effect.) ;)
I was "off the hook" for now. But was emphatically assured by my consultant he would "back me up" should DVLA think otherwise! :cool:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been following the advice and suggestions to this initial question and have a simple home test that anyone can do for themselves who suffers or suspects that they have macular problems to see if their condition is stable, worsening, of if indeed is self detectable by themselves.
As with all things concerning the eyes, you should always seek professional advice- That said this is what you can do for yourself at home.
Using a clear white sheet of paper (say A4 size) draw a succession of horrizontal and vertical lines as accurately as you can spaced approx 1/2 inch apart. Something like 15 x 20 lines is usually fine. The clever ones out there could probably easily manage to print the grid out using their PC's.
Mark a central spot in the middle of this grid, and holding the home made grid approximately 12" away from you, covering one eye and look with the other eye upon the central spot.
You should see an even displacement of both the horizontal and vertical lines.
Someone with any macular displacement problems in which the surface of retina may be minutely 'blistered' or distorted, would notice some form of irregularity in the overal pattern of either the horizontal or vertical lines, and more commonly in both.
A simple home made test, but very effective.

Hope this is of use to all - Lazybones

Funny enough.. Even with corrective reading glasses on, my right eye before the treatment (reading wise) made an S look like a 6, Ks & Ns were tricky. So we're Os & Gs too....
Then there was "judging" close quarter distance & detail with fine work like the aformentioned electrical soldering in my earlier post... Stuff like graphic design was becoming an issue aswell..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the tag @azure & @Jaylee

I've no experience of DMO, but although you've likely seen this site a thousand times @novorapidboi26 it's still worth a read for information & advice on the condition:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/diabetic_maculopathy.html

I was informed once I'd started laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy that I had to inform the DVLA, the DVLA website will explain more.

gra23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks........;)
Just been for this years scan and was told there looked to be a bleed on the retina but I didn't notice any difference in my sight before this, the letter back has said that I have been diagnosed with maculopathy and I will be recalled in 3months for a follow up scan so will let you know what happens after

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got my letter there and it described increased bleeding at the Retina area....so back in 6 - 8 weeks for discussion on treatment....

I'm ready for injections now if needs be but need to wait....

Its not so good though....hopeful treatment can help....