Eye problems really worried

paulsutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I was diagnosed a while ago - although doc says I could have had this for a while. Occasionally id have blurred vision which I was told means sugars too high - once under control vision returned to normal.

Then a few weeks ago i noticied when i was looking up at the sky I had floaters and the spiders web thing. I immeditaely made an appointment with Specsavers - they did all of the tests - 3d pics and also the dilated pupil test. She assured me that she couldnt see anything and its something to do with the vitrous gel in the eye (ive done a fair bit of research)

..although Specsavers arent linked to the NHS database she has assured me that the test they do is exactly the same as a NHS linked optician. I have another apoointment anyway for a NHS linked optician next week.

Thing is this seems all too much of a coincidence as I have type 2 and Im really worried...

Has anyone been through the same thing?

Thanks
Paul

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi,

I was diagnosed a while ago - although doc says I could have had this for a while. Occasionally id have blurred vision which I was told means sugars too high - once under control vision returned to normal.

Then a few weeks ago i noticied when i was looking up at the sky I had floaters and the spiders web thing. I immeditaely made an appointment with Specsavers - they did all of the tests - 3d pics and also the dilated pupil test. She assured me that she couldnt see anything and its something to do with the vitrous gel in the eye (ive done a fair bit of research)

..although Specsavers arent linked to the NHS database she has assured me that the test they do is exactly the same as a NHS linked optician. I have another apoointment anyway for a NHS linked optician next week.

Thing is this seems all too much of a coincidence as I have type 2 and Im really worried...

Has anyone been through the same thing?

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul. Spec savers are excellent. I had untreated diabetes and started to notice floaters and a flash in the corner of my eye. I went and they did thorough tests and found nothing wrong and I was in there hours as I suspect you were!

2 years later it is no worse and have had eye photos taken again and still nothing.

I do however find them a pain when in a light room!

I’ts good you have an NHS appointment but I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Reactions: paulsutt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had background retinopathy at my first test after diagnosis, but by the second one, it was gone.
My sight is not as good as it was a decade ago, but that is just the advancing years.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Floaters become common as we age, even for non-diabetics.
I've also found Specsavers excellent, after a bad experience with Boots. They got my GP to refer me to the hospital when I had issues with blurred vision (he'd been ignoring it).

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
I noticed floaters a few weeks ago went to sleep the next day I woke up and couldn’t see got emergency appointment at some savers my vision had completely gone specsavers said they thought it was a cataracts but went to eye clinic where he sent me as an emergency they said sorry we don’t accept walk ins I said this is an emergency I can’t see I’m 34 years old was quite frightened they sent me to a and e waited for 2 hours who apologised£d said I need to go eye clinic which I did and they said I couldn’t seen their till Tuesday anyway to cut along story short I was finally seen and I had a hem leave behind the eye, needing emergency laser treatment I’ve had 1600 spots and still need another 3000 if I didn’t have laser treatment I would have gone blind and still might but specsavers was amazing trying to keep positive xx

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have just had my first NHS eye test today, so I won't know the result for 2 or 3 weeks.
However I have had floaters (including two big ones for about 10yrs now.
My optician back about 5yrs ago said they should not be a problem unless they get much worse.
They had been one of the reasons I decided to stop my off-piste skiing (the other being my cardiac problem).
They are also a pain when doing work at my computer meaning I need a large monitor and use a large font.

The floaters themselves, so far as I am aware are completely unrelated to diabetes and many people I know of my age have at least some smaller ones.