Eye test

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an eye test back in February this year but for one reason or another I never got round to picking out new glasses. Shortly after this eye test I started LCHF and have been doing really well on it and feeling much much healthier than ever before. Anyway fairly recently I started noticing that my eyesight seemed a little strange so decided to go for a retest rather than using prescription from back in February as my blood sugars are now considerably more stable than previously. I explained my change of situation and having reduced and stabilised my BG to my optician who said that although I'd already had my free prescription for the year, if there was a significant difference that I wouldn't need to pay for eye test. Happily there was a very significant difference...to the extent that even the optician was amazed. He showed me the difference in prescription using additional lenses and I thought I was seeing double, it was quite frightening the difference a few months has made. A bit of a crazy way to reward myself but will be picking up a very lovely...yet expensive pair of designer glasses at the weekend :) Fingers crossed my Hba1c will be as good ;)

Reactions: 8 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Natalie, I am having trouble with my specs, they need adjusting as I've lost weight. I am at the hospital on 30th as I have a cataract so it looks like I will need new as well. Optician is a type 2 it will be interesting to compare results as she told me lchf was bad for me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an eye test back in February this year but for one reason or another I never got round to picking out new glasses. Shortly after this eye test I started LCHF and have been doing really well on it and feeling much much healthier than ever before. Anyway fairly recently I started noticing that my eyesight seemed a little strange so decided to go for a retest rather than using prescription from back in February as my blood sugars are now considerably more stable than previously. I explained my change of situation and having reduced and stabilised my BG to my optician who said that although I'd already had my free prescription for the year, if there was a significant difference that I wouldn't need to pay for eye test. Happily there was a very significant difference...to the extent that even the optician was amazed. He showed me the difference in prescription using additional lenses and I thought I was seeing double, it was quite frightening the difference a few months has made. A bit of a crazy way to reward myself but will be picking up a very lovely...yet expensive pair of designer glasses at the weekend :) Fingers crossed my Hba1c will be as good ;)

Natalie - How long have your bloods been stabilised? Just wondering if you're sure all the adjustment you're going to see (pardon the pun) in your prescription have been achieved.

Babsflute

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wet weather (don't want to walk then). Sprouts and cabbage! Not being able to eat some things I used to enjoy.
Hope you like your new specs and are happy with changes. I have to go for eye diabetic screening after a recent test. Happy for your progress.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Natalie - How long have your bloods been stabilised? Just wondering if you're sure all the adjustment you're going to see (pardon the pun) in your prescription have been achieved.
That's a fair point...I've been low carbing for around 7 months now and would say that my bloods have been stable for at least 6 months now...with the odd exception due to a couple of random infections but would hope this is long enough now that my prescription won't drop too much more. Do you think I should wait a little longer?

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Natalie, I am having trouble with my specs, they need adjusting as I've lost weight. I am at the hospital on 30th as I have a cataract so it looks like I will need new as well. Optician is a type 2 it will be interesting to compare results as she told me lchf was bad for me.

It will indeed be very interesting to see. As @AndBreathe just pointed out though...may be wise to see if your bloods stabilise any further before rushing in as I did and buying designer brands ;). Let me know how you get on.

I actually had a really good chat with my optician...he asked how I'd managed to stabilse my blood sugars...when I mentioned LCHF he kinda went off on one talking about various books...one sounded really interesting 'The Real Meal Revolution' so ordered a copy when I got home...the other which I'm a little more sceptical about was 'The China Study' which having searched on the forum sounds interesting...although a little too controversial for my liking.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you like your new specs and are happy with changes. I have to go for eye diabetic screening after a recent test. Happy for your progress.

I had one of those earlier this year after they picked up mild retinopathy on my screening...as scary as it was at the time...it turned out fine and I got the all clear...hope you get the same result

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a fair point...I've been low carbing for around 7 months now and would say that my bloods have been stable for at least 6 months now...with the odd exception due to a couple of random infections but would hope this is long enough now that my prescription won't drop too much more. Do you think I should wait a little longer?

It could never be my call to advise whether you should wait. If it were me though, I might be inclined to go for it, provided my bloods were fairly predictable, and in a decent range. It could be worth just trying to have a word with the optician as a bit of a safety net.

I didn't ever have any visual changes, so can't refer back to my own experience as a comparison. I was just trying to make sure you'd thought it through. Nobody needs an expensive mistake.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seen by doctor at the hospital this morning and I am having my cataract done within the next three months. I have a very slight cataract in my other eye so might need that doing eventually. Hope it's not a three month wait because my eyes have definitely changed so will need new glasses.