Eye test

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi, some advice please
I was diagnosed with diabetes on the 1st of March. My hba1c was 15% and blood sugar was 25.
Since taking my medication I can't wear my glasses they now make my eyesight blurry.
I have been told to wait to have my eyes tested until they have settled. Does anybody have experience of this and how long I should wait I struggle without glasses and it makes work difficult thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sensible advice, your eyes should settle down once your bg levels stabilise, maybe buy a cheap pair of glasses (like those that you buy in pharmacies) for the time being until you have your eye test.

Barry05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i was first diagnosed with type 2 i was put on metformin and changed my diet a lot to lower sugar and lower fat foods hence the sugar levels started coming down. After about 3 weeks i noticed my vision was also more blurred than before especially more noticeable when watching TV.
After about another two or three weeks the blurriness went and vision was back as it was.

I think it's the eyesight trying to find it's proper level again without high sugar levels in the way, as aforesaid it doesn't last to long so might be a good idea to endure it just for about two to three weeks and see if it gets better, then take it from there !!!!!

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As others have said waiting is the best thing to do. However shortly after my diagnosis I had my yearly contact lens check up and my optician changed my prescription slightly, but I only just received the new prescription lens earlier this month, and have found that they take longer than my previous prescription to settle first thing in the morning, so yeah wait as long as you can. Also remember that free eye tests restrict how many you can have in a set amount of time, therefore if unless you have money to burn and can pay for multiple eye tests and glasses you need to let your eyes settle. As an emergency measure some opticians do frames and lens sets as low as £20 but at a push you should be able to find something that helps.

S

Shar67

You can get glasses online for about £9, I did this when I was first diagnosed, I used vouchers to get eye tests free, most found online as well

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou, I'm back at work Monday and worry about using the computers all day but I will see what happens