Eyesight

Jane1980

After running high blood levels for quite sometime, I am just now starting to have the confidence with insulin, slow progress but blood levels are starting to improve, but vision is blurry, how long till body stabilises?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blurred vision is normal after bringing down blood sugars.
This was explained to me that sugary tears have a different focal length to salty tears and our lens change shape to account for this. When our blood sugars are high, our bodies look for ways to get rid of the excess sugar. This is why we pee a lot, why dentists may be able to detect diabetes and sugar comes out through our tears.

As with everything diabetes, the length of time it takes for our eyes to adjust back to salty tears differs from person to person. Typically, it returns within a week or two but others find it takes longer and benefit from buying a pair of cheap ready readers. But don't waste your money going to the opticians and buying expensive prescription glasses.

Dark Horse

When our blood sugars are high, our bodies look for ways to get rid of the excess sugar. This is why we pee a lot,
Actually, the kidney is trying to reabsorb all the glucose that it can but when blood glucose levels get too high, it's physically unable to do so and the glucose spills over into the urine. There is no active mechanism to excrete glucose. https://www.ajmc.com/view/ace005_12jan_triplitt_s11

This was explained to me that sugary tears have a different focal length to salty tears and our lens change shape to account for this.
The lens is not directly in contact with the tears but is surrounded by fluid within the eye. It is the glucose levels in this fluid (which mirror the levels in the blood) that will affect the lens. The exact mechanism is not fully elucidated - some people think the shape of the lens changes, others think it's the structure within the lens. Ultimately, it seems to be that high glucose levels cause a change in the focal length of the lens which can take a few weeks to reverse. (The effect on the focal length of the tear film would be quite minor and would reverse very quickly.) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17061215/

I agree with @In Response that presciption glasses should not be purchase until vision stabilises and that ready readers can be very helpful in the short term for a lot of people (not everybody so try a very cheap first). The major improvemnt in vision can take just a couple of weeks but it could still improve for a few weeks after that.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When ever I see an optician they ask if my bg is stable and how long it's been that way..

Give it a few weeks and if not improved you may need to see an optician even if it's only to make sure you are legal to drive (if you drive) eye test should be free

If you vision still isn't right after 6 weeks or so... it may just be you actually need glasses

Reactions: EllieM