Facebook rant

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel I shouldn't reply to this, but I will anyway :)

Why would people eat normal chocolate and inject for it? Because chocolate is nice, and if you can control your ratios and eat it as part of a balanced diet, then why not? I am, of course speaking as a T1 and it's not nice to be judged for wanting to eat a treat

Well put comment . 10 out of 10

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yet another reason for me to avoid Facebook. Think I'll stick to this forum (and Twitter). Good advice and plenty of opinions to go round on here.

Seems a bit unfair to blame Facebook, I've seen people on this site saying they eat what they want and just bolus for it.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems a bit unfair to blame Facebook, I've seen people on this site saying they eat what they want and just bolus for it.
Lol that's the whole point of basal / bolus. If someone wants to eat anything when they are on insulin they have to "just" bolus for it. It's a complicated life of carb / protein counting. How else would you suggest we eat? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry that I have upset a few people. I was basing my observations on my T1 friend who is very careful with everything he eats and says why should he eat these things it only means he has to have more insulin. I'll keep quiet from now on.

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sorry that I have upset a few people. I was basing my observations on my T1 friend who is very careful with everything he eats and says why should he eat these things it only means he has to have more insulin. I'll keep quiet from now on.

Hi . There is no need to keep quiet . This is the place to learn . If we all keep quiet . We will always have the same opinion . So fire away . And let's all educate are selves

Clive

Reactions: 5 people

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @carol43 ! I agree with @Cl1ve, there is no need to keep quiet! And I'm certainly not upset by your post, would rather chat with you about a t1's relationship with insulin, than merely disagree with you.

And I think this could be where the "everyone is different" might come in. There could be many reasons that your t1 friend wants to inject as little insulin as possible. For example, if the total number of units of insulin injected by someone (in a day) is greater than their weight in kg, this greatly increases their risks of developing t2! I've said it before, but I think it's difficult enough managing t1 or t2, but BOTH would be a total nightmare!! There are also those who would like to inject less as some say that insulin makes you put on weight. This has not been my experience, and my diabetes nurse has said that that is not quite true, coming back again to whether you are on such a high carb diet that you need more insulin than your weight in kg. Some don't like injecting (although I don't know anyone who enjoys it lol), some don't like taking any more of anything than they need to, be that paracetamol, insulin or anything else. There could be any number of reasons.

There is nothing wrong with throwing a topic out there for discussion, it is a way of learning and teaching, especially about types of diabetes other than our own (I have only just learnt about Reactive Hypoglycaemia).

Take care,
Erin x

Reactions: 6 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must say I'm very impressed with this thread . Looking at the comments . All have been put so eloquently . Everyone has put their opinions forward without being offensive . Rude or opinionated . The more I use this site the more I realise how helpful it is for the diabetic community

Clive

Reactions: 6 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fair play to your friend, I generally manage mine in the same way with LCHF because for me it cuts the risk. Some people however are very good at managing their ratios and can control their health / blood glucose whilst including chocolate so fair play to them too I say. We are all different but there is no 'right or wrong' way, as long as u stay healthy :)

Reactions: 9 people