Facebook, the good, the bad or the ugly ?

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
A lot of people use the same email address to join face book as they use to contact the bank the council the tax man the bennefu=its office etc etc .... if you copy someones email address into facebook it will bring up instantly any face book account registered in that name.
Councils have admitted to spying on people that way.
Somone on facebook talking about drugs all the time wild parties etc .... the council see it.
For instance .... if you joined face book with the same email address asyou used to join here ... the admin here can type it into facebook and discover the real you.
A lot of people don't realise this.

Companies do it too, we have received emails at work telling us not to make any derogatory remarks about work on there, one person was sacked after they did.

Janiept

Expert
A lot of people use the same email address to join face book as they use to contact the bank the council the tax man the bennefu=its office etc etc .... if you copy someones email address into facebook it will bring up instantly any face book account registered in that name.
Somone on facebook talking about drugs all the time wild parties etc .... the council see it.
For instance .... if you joined face book with the same email address asyou used to join here ... the admin here can type it into facebook and discover the real you.
I certainly didn't realise this @JACKTHELAD and thanks for pointing it out, it just reinforces my dislike of social networking and the like.
So glad I have always avoided all this stuff. Big Brother is watching you!
No I haven't got anything to hide, but I like my privacy and i'd like to keep my details private.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Thanks, there are a few members that own beautiful classic cars. I have never thought about a thread.
Blimey don't think I could handle those negative comments that seem to come from nowhere without good reason. :(
View attachment 11234 This is my favourite although we should never have favourite's.:)
Very nice car .... what's under the bonnet?

K

Kat100

A secret group ....excellent ...

I am sure sub groups happen a lot , people needing to break away to support each other outside forums ....understand that , anything which helps you get the support you need ....

I have a private group not a support group , but it is just for people who I did my training with years also , we are on open fb to, but share some information through our private group ....

I read on one db forum that a group had got together , girls I recall to chat about things they wouldn't put on a forum ...
If it provides support I don't see a problem ....and of course there was choice and agreement and consent ....that is why it works ....

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't you need a password? I've just tried this on my computer which isn't usually used to access my OHs facebook account The email address doesn't take you anywhere without a password.

Reactions: 3 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't you need a password? I've just tried this on my computer which isn't usually used to access my OHs facebook account The email address doesn't take you anywhere without a password.
I think he means if you search for somebody using their email address it will bring their details up.
I don't use Facebook so may be wrong. Apologises if I am.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess I'm in the minority as I absolutely love FB. Living on a farm miles away from friends and family and largely on own until hubby retired last year I found it invaluable on connecting with friends all over country and sharing news and whatever comes into my head. I understand its limitations and privacy issues but the upsides outweigh the downs for me( but of course I'm talking about a personal account that I control here)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sorry I've not explained that well.
If I go onto my facebook page and type in your email address at the top it will take me to view any Face book account registered with that email address.
It won't give me any kind of access other than viewing it.
Housing officers at council offices do it.
Companies do it when people are applying for a job .... tells them a lot about the prospective employee.
You might be known as cold ethyl on here but if you send me an email I can copy the email address you use into face book and if it's the email you used to join there then I will find out that you're really Phyllis Chucklebum and have a good read about you and discover that no your not single and twenty four but married with ten kids and swear a lot and go to Rhyl for your holloidays and not Malaga like you've been telling us on here.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A secret Mole .......................:shifty: :eek: burrowing way :stop:

A

AnnieC

But you can do that anyway without an email address just put a name in the search box and anyone registered with that name will come up and you can look at their page without being on their friends list but If you tried to log on with an email address you would need their password the same as anyone would need to log into someones account on here

A

AnnieC

Sorry I've not explained that well.
If I go onto my facebook page and type in your email address at the top it will take me to view any Face book account registered with that email address.
It won't give me any kind of access other than viewing it.
Housing officers at council offices do it.
Companies do it when people are applying for a job .... tells them a lot about the prospective employee.
You might be known as cold ethyl on here but if you send me an email I can copy the email address you use into face book and if it's the email you used to join there then I will find out that you're really Phyllis Chucklebum and have a good read about you and discover that no your not single and twenty four but married with ten kids and swear a lot and go to Rhyl for your holloidays and not Malaga like you've been telling us on here.
Have you actually done that Jack I still think you need their password otherwise it would make having a password to log in anywhere useless.if all you need is their email address
How many people use a different email address for every forum or group they belong to most of us use the same one

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Have you actually done that Jack I still think you need their password otherwise it would make having a password to log in anywhere useless.if all you need is their email address
How many people use a different email address for every forum or group they belong to most of us use the same one

Why don't you give it a go Annie and let us know how you get on ?? would be interesting.

RRB :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It works Annie. I'm not great on Facebook, so I may have some of the terminology wrong, but you can see their landing page, which summarises any recent activity, their likes and a few of their friends. You can't "deep dive" into all their details, so I 'm guessing what you see veru much depends on the sort of stuff the other person posts on there.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just done it with my own email address and it found me immediately. However, as I use all the privacy settings, only my personal friends can see anything other than my cover photo, profile avatar and name. They would need to be a friend invited by me to see anything else.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just done it with my own email address and it found me immediately. However, as I use all the privacy settings, only my personal friends can see anything other than my cover photo, profile avatar and name. They would need to be a friend invited by me to see anything else.

Wot she said (so much better than I expressed it)!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It works Annie. I'm not great on Facebook, so I may have some of the terminology wrong, but you can see their landing page, which summarises any recent activity, their likes and a few of their friends. You can't "deep dive" into all their details, so I 'm guessing what you see veru much depends on the sort of stuff the other person posts on there.

Only if that person has a public profile as opposed to friends only (and if they do not choose the friends of friends option, which some people forget to disable)

A

AnnieC

my name
Yes it is not a good idea to put personl details o
Only my friends can see anything personal about me and that is really only my date of birth facebook email address and name as my profile page is blank I never fill in profile pages I haven't done that on here or any where else

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
What's all this about passwords?
This isn't about hacking into some ones account it's simply about viewing it as you would had you typed their name in.
I'll start again ... a lot of people don't realise you can get the same result not knowing the persons name just their email address .... which many people don't realise so .... I would then discover that Annie C is really a truck driver called Dave.
It's something you should consider when using the same email address for to many things.
I have friends and family email addresses I have email addresses for joining forums etc.air

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What's all this about passwords?
This isn't about hacking into some ones account it's simply about viewing it as you would had you typed their name in.
I'll start again ... a lot of people don't realise you can get the same result not knowing the persons name just their email address .... which many people don't realise so .... I would then discover that Annie C is really a truck driver called Dave.
It's something you should consider when using the same email address for to many things.
I have friends and family email addresses I have email addresses for joining forums etc.air
If, and only if, the person has a public profile and hasn't enabled appropriate privacy settings. If you were to place my email address into facebook you would learn that I had a page and what my name is. Nothing else though.