1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Fainting

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Type1Teen, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Type1Teen

Type1Teen · Newbie

I woke up this morning with my levels at 28.2. I completely forgot to check my ketones as I woke up later than usual and had to hurry out the door. Anyways, about 40 minutes into class, I checked them again on my libre sensor to see if the correction had worked and they only got higher. In fact they were reading as HI (above scale). So out of panic, I checked my ketones to see that they were 1.4. Anyways as my parents came, I packed my bag to leave school and about 5 seconds after I stood up I fainted. It was fine, I came around after a few seconds but I was wondering if this ever happened to anyone else?

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. moori

moori Type 1 · Member

Hi.
    Im sorry you fainted and had to miss class :)
    I haven't had much complications so far... although type 1 for 8 month.
    Did your sugar levels drop already?
    Good luck

3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Type1Teen How are your BGs and ketones now?
    I have never passed out over a Hi before so can't offer and insight into that. Did you cehk your BG's with a finger prick test? Always check with a finger prick if the Libre is higher or lower than expected. They can be out by a fair bit either way.
    Hope you are feeling better soon

4. Type1Teen

Type1Teen · Newbie

Hey! Everything's perfect now. My ketones are 0.0 (though they rose to 4.0 an hour ago) and Yeah, if my levels rise over 14 or are below 4 I always double check with a finger prick test

5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Your faint may not even be diabetes related. There are any number of reasons why we faint, and one of these is standing up too quickly combined with a racing heart - which I assume you had because of the anxiety you experienced at the time. That is only a suggestion.

• Like Like x 3
  6. porl69

Phew. Good news. The fainting may not be diabetic related. If it persists then contact your GP

7. Type1Teen

Type1Teen · Newbie

Thanks so much!

• Like Like x 1
  8. porl69

More than welcome

9. endocrinegremlin

endocrinegremlin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah I would also suggest it wasn't the betes that cause the faint but I do think it might have been anxiety over your results. I'd talk to your diabetes nurse or doctor about having a set in plan if you know you're hi ect. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook