Fasting blood sugar....pre-diabetes

ragdolly ans

Hi,

I have measured my fasting blood sugar and it's consistently 6.9. Spoke to my doctor and she said that was absolutely fine and nothing to worry about? She did a hba1c test and I was told it was normal.

I've started to get some circulation issues in my legs, pins and needs, swelling and increase in veins. I'm not sure if this would be related?

I'm also waking nightly about 4am feeling wide awake and very palpy as if Ive had too much coffee.

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you know what the HbA1c result was? That is an average of your blood sugar over the last 10-12 weeks and is the standard test as a lot of factors can affect your spot checks. However, most people with T2 or prediabetes who want to get their blood sugar under control will want to check over a day not just the fasting blood.

What results are you getting before a meal compared with 2 hrs after? People without diabetes will see a rise after eating any carbs but the increase is smaller.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Madisons

Hi all, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a few months ago and have been depressed since. GP told me to limit carbs and only 2 fruits a day (my weakness!). I asked him if I should be checking my sugars with blood monitor and he said no, not yet, since you are not diabetic?! Sending me to check my HbA1C in two weeks again, and fasting blood sugar, and thyroid (hypo here, great!) Just wondering if I should be testing C-Peptide and Anti-GAD also, or is that not useful since I am pre-diabetic? If they're going to be taking my blood, they mind as well check these other tests at the labs...I am a nervous and anxious wreck these past 9 months, the stress will definitey put the blood sugar numbers off the charts! Help!

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a few months ago and have been depressed since. GP told me to limit carbs and only 2 fruits a day (my weakness!). I asked him if I should be checking my sugars with blood monitor and he said no, not yet, since you are not diabetic?! Sending me to check my HbA1C in two weeks again, and fasting blood sugar, and thyroid (hypo here, great!) Just wondering if I should be testing C-Peptide and Anti-GAD also, or is that not useful since I am pre-diabetic? If they're going to be taking my blood, they mind as well check these other tests at the labs...I am a nervous and anxious wreck these past 9 months, the stress will definitey put the blood sugar numbers off the charts! Help!

It depends on how you react to information and numbers. When I was told I was pre-diabetic at the start of the summer I pretty much straight away started reading here and got myself a blood glucose monitor.

I keep numbers, I've gone low carb. I weigh myself daily, I monitor my blood pressure (I've been on medication for hypertension for just over 3 years) and test my blood glucose regularly. I like numbers, I like seeing the patterns and trends (I have spreadsheets!). I enjoy pretty much treating my body as my own personal science project and lab.

From what I've read on here the reason GPs are reluctant to recommend testing blood glucose yourself is because then they would have to find funding for it. And we all know what state the NHS is in just now (I'm assuming you're in the UK).

For me, reading here, low carb, lots more exercise and lots of tests and numbers helps me. But you know you so you have to make your own decisions. But just because the doctor said 'no need' that doesn't mean you can't do something.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi Madisons! I think your first step is assessing your diet. When you say Fruits, what fruits do you have? Your GP is right to suggest limiting carbs, although it depends how much he means by that as most GP's seem to suggest eating more than is suitable for us to cope with. You will get plenty of advise about the right types of food on here! Anyway, welcome to the group x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have measured my fasting blood sugar and it's consistently 6.9. Spoke to my doctor and she said that was absolutely fine and nothing to worry about? She did a hba1c test and I was told it was normal.

I've started to get some circulation issues in my legs, pins and needs, swelling and increase in veins. I'm not sure if this would be related?

I'm also waking nightly about 4am feeling wide awake and very palpy as if Ive had too much coffee.

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
Maybe stop checking the fasting numbers only and also test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, and have the meter next to your bed for when you wake with palpatations. You'll want to know what your blood sugars are up to. Also, a "normal" HbA1c could be anything. Can you log into your practice's results online? You want exact numbers. Pins and needles could be anything, from something as innocent as vitamin b deficiency to thyroid issues that are pretty treatable. Maybe put your concerns in an e-mail so they have a list of your issues and questions?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Madisons ,

C-peptide and GAD tests are expensive and they're not going to do them unless they have good reason to suspect you may be a T1 or a variant thereof, so that's probably not a hill you want to die on right at this moment. I am surprised you should limit yourself to two pieces of fruit a day... That's a lot, assuming you're talking apples, oranges and the like... As a T2 I can only have a limited amount of berries, and then only if I have something fatty with them, like cream. (It calms down the spike). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ this might help with food options some. And DO get a meter, most of us here self-fund as the NHS can't help or they'd go bankrupt. You're not a T2 yet. Why let it get that far eventually, if you can avoid getting complications entirely? ;)

Madisons

Hello @Madisons ,

C-peptide and GAD tests are expensive and they're not going to do them unless they have good reason to suspect you may be a T1 or a variant thereof, so that's probably not a hill you want to die on right at this moment. I am surprised you should limit yourself to two pieces of fruit a day... That's a lot, assuming you're talking apples, oranges and the like... As a T2 I can only have a limited amount of berries, and then only if I have something fatty with them, like cream. (It calms down the spike). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ this might help with food options some. And DO get a meter, most of us here self-fund as the NHS can't help or they'd go bankrupt. You're not a T2 yet. Why let it get that far eventually, if you can avoid getting complications entirely? ;)
Hi thank you so much for replying. Doing those extra tests are really not an issue, but just wanted to know if it would indicate anything or it would be useless like too soon to tell? My mother at 71 years has T1 on insulin for over 30+ years (although they said is was LADA to begin with?) Really not sure, it was so long ago, and I was just 8 or 9 years old then, but she had to go on insulin right away...so it is genetic, bound to happen. I'm trying to avoid most carbs as much as possible, not even doing the 2 fruits a day, as the GP said, they are all about the oatmeal, grains, fruits and vegetables, as long as there's fiber, it's ok!? I don't do Keto, only a low-carb diet but maybe that's why I'm hungry all the time, and/or it's the symptom of the diabetes kicking in. This morning, I had an omelete consisting of 1 egg, mushrooms, dandelion greens, whole avocado, low-carb toast with clarified butter, melted Babybel cheese and tomato with basil. Then greek yogurt with chia seeds and a spoonful of coconut oil in it. I am still starving and can eat 3 more of each of these! My pancreas must be begging me to stop but I have no portion control discipline. I am so afraid of needles too. I am a doomed diabetic-to-be....

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Madisons , you're NOT doomed. Okay? Yeah, there is a genetic component, so best to come to grips with that, but it doesn't mean you're destined for insulin and complications and whatnot, alright?

If you test around meals you can see whether your body adequately responds to what you put in there. So it wouldn't be able to determine type, but it would let you know whether your numbers are going too high or staying there too long. That's more information than you'd get off a fasting test. Also, I'm not surprised you're hungry. Why one egg? Have 3, or 4. Load it with ham and bacon and cheese: that was exactly my breakfast (which I had after lunchtime, incidentally). You're eating mainly the right things, but you're having too little of them to fill you up. You don't have to go hungry on low carb, you're supposed to up the fats and protein to compensate for the loss of carbs. You have to run on something, after all.

As long as there are fibres, it's okay... That's a bit backdated thinking, really... I have no fibres at all, eating the carnivore way... Do yourself a favour, delve deep into how low carb eating works, because what you're doing now is just making it harder. Have little to no carbs, have lots of natural fats, nice portions of protein, and make sure you are satiated after a meal. If you're hungry all the time it's not going to work. This has to be sustainable for the long run, and it won't be if you feel miserable all the time. The Nutritional Thingy should help, but you'll ant to invest in Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code as well... Make a study of this so you know what you can do to get some control of this, if this is indeed headed toward T2, which isn't a certainty at all at this point. Because morning blood sugars? Everyone has higher ones in the morning, it's called Dawn Phenomenon.... And if you are stressed, if you have a bad night's sleep, if you have nightmares, anything can raise them, as your oh so helpful liver dumps glucose into your system. So the ship hasn't sailed yet, you're not doomed, and if any type of diabetes is headed your way, you're not alone in this and we can help if you want us to.

I have to run out the door, but.... You'll be okay. Really.

Reactions: Linsbxx and coby

Madisons

Hi Madisons! I think your first step is assessing your diet. When you say Fruits, what fruits do you have? Your GP is right to suggest limiting carbs, although it depends how much he means by that as most GP's seem to suggest eating more than is suitable for us to cope with. You will get plenty of advise about the right types of food on here! Anyway, welcome to the group x
Hello, thank you for your kind response. I used to eat ALOT of fruits. Thought was doing myself good as they say to get at least 5 servings minimum of fruits daily. but I guess they weren't talking about those who were pre-diabetic or diabetic! I loved a whole honeycrisp apple, pears, peaches, apricots, clementines, kiwis, pineapples, grapes...etc..the works! Then lots of carbs from quinoa and sweet potatoes, gluten-free breads and pastas. No kidding I was killing my pancreas. I'm sure it' running on empty soon...I am terrified. Got mother's diabetic gene...I used to work out 5x a week to delay because I loved these foods so much, but all that gym time didn't help at all or just temporarily delayed it, and no gym now with covid variants. Anyway, even without, I have no motivation whatsoever, am hangry, miserable and depressed. Everyone here is so upbeat, I admire you all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, thank you for your kind response. I used to eat ALOT of fruits. Thought was doing myself good as they say to get at least 5 servings minimum of fruits daily. but I guess they weren't talking about those who were pre-diabetic or diabetic! I loved a whole honeycrisp apple, pears, peaches, apricots, clementines, kiwis, pineapples, grapes...etc..the works! Then lots of carbs from quinoa and sweet potatoes, gluten-free breads and pastas. No kidding I was killing my pancreas. I'm sure it' running on empty soon...I am terrified. Got mother's diabetic gene...I used to work out 5x a week to delay because I loved these foods so much, but all that gym time didn't help at all or just temporarily delayed it, and no gym now with covid variants. Anyway, even without, I have no motivation whatsoever, am hangry, miserable and depressed. Everyone here is so upbeat, I admire you all.
Madison, relax... You don't know whether you're prediabetic, type one or type two. Don't put the cart before the horse, and get some answers first from the pro's. You need to know your HbA1c, how your blood sugars respond around meals... Right now you're kicking yourself around without firm numbers nor diagnosis, and you're not doing the low carb eating right if you're "hanrgy" all the time. Eat more! Just don't include carbs! I just had a massive smoked Dutch sausage for breakfast/lunch and I assure you it'll tide me over until dinner, even if I ate a little earlier than normal due to an appointment. (It's that big, protein-rich and fatty). Eat until you're full. You can't keep this up if you're starving yourself.

There's a couple of things to consider. People with a T1 in the family can develop T1 or T2, like I said, there's a genetic component there and I'm not going to sugarcoat that. However, looking at my own family? I'm the only blood relation of my gran's who's got it. And that's a Southern, Roman Catholic family... I have more aunts, uncles and cousins than I know what to do with. Some I can't even tell you the name of, there's soooo many. I'm the only one who got blessed with gran's T2.

Then there's types: T1 is an autoimmune condition. The antibodies attack the pancreas and eliminate insulin production. That can come on slowly, or later in life, or when someone's just a child or baby. Luck of the draw. (T1, Mody, Lada...) Then there's type 2. Those make massive amounts of insulin, but due to the large amounts floating around, become desensitised. So if you're indeed prediabetic, there's kind of two options: Type 2, where your body can't use the insulin you have, or late/slow onset type 1, which'd mean you're in a honeymoon period. Either way, to get some answers you need a test results. (And yes, I am aware there are more types of diabetes, GD, T3c, brittle etc, but those don't potentially apply here from the sound of it.) First to find out your HbA1c and whether prediabetes is the case (HbA1c between 42 and 48), and then you can start worrying about type. What I mean to say with all this? You aren't killing your pancreas. If it's an autoimmune condition your antibodies are and that has nothing to do with what you ate, and nothing you have done wrong. Just genetics. And if you're a type 2, then your pancreas is pumping out masses of insulin and isn't dying at all. Overworked maybe, but not half dead. Okay? Your mom being a T1 doesn't automatically mean you will be one, as T2 is still an option too and that can largely if not entirely, be fixed with eating the right foods. And ENOUGH of the right foods. Don't starve yourself. Here in the Netherlands we say "One egg is no egg, two eggs is half an egg, three eggs is an Easter egg!" Basically that means one egg is kinda useless, two isn't quite right, but three is just perfect. Yeah, I know, we're nuts over here. But for an old little rhyme... It speaks sense. You don't have to go hungry at all. Not for a minute, if you don't want to.

Quit kicking yourself around. Just get some tests done, (HbA1C and C-peptide and GAD if you can manage to get those last two from your GP as well. Throw for mind's ease sake in there, that might help.)

Be a little kinder to yourself eh. You're not on death's door, not by a long shot. ;)
Jo

PS: I was awaiting a liver cancer verdict in the same time period I found out I was a T2. It wasn't until I was told my liver was a false alarm (or rather, still not good but not killing me in a matter of weeks, and as it turned out, fixable), that I started tackling the T2. I don't care about myself, I never have. Frankly? I don't think I deserve to be here, I've known better people than I who have died far too young, who did a better job at living than I have done thus far. But I know what it's like to be left behind as a young widow, and that is what got me in gear: I wasn't going to put my husband through early widowhood. Been there, done that, do not wish it on anyone, especially not someone I love so much. So that's why I'm eating the way I am: for him. You're not motivated, and I get that, really, I do. But FIND something that can function as motivation. Anything at all. I'm not upbeat, clinically depressed as I am and whatnot... The only thing positive about me is my blood type (A+). What I am sure of though, is that you are going to be absolutely fine, whatever comes. prediabetes or no, any type or none... Because you don't have to do it alone, we're right here. All you have to find is a reason. And if that's someone other than yourself, from family to your cat, or just a fear of needles, or complications or anything at all... Whatever gets your b*tt in gear on this properly, is a good thing!