Fasting Blood Test - Type 1 Diabetes - Cause for Concern?

MDJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have finally got my GP to do a referral to a local Consultant so that I can push my case for getting the Freestyle Libre on prescription. Unfortunately, the local hospital team will not process the referral unless I have a set of blood test results from the last six months - my last set was from my last annual checkup with the surgery diabetes nurse which was done in December last year. So, it’s off for a blood test I go.

My question/concern is that the GP is insisting I come in for a fasting blood test having nothing to ear for 8 hours in advance of the test. As a Type 1, I’ve never been asked to do a fasting blood test and, indeed, my previous Consultant that I had about 8 years ago before I moved to where I live now, told me that, in his opinion and the overall view in the research, is that it is dangerous to ask Type 1’s to fast for blood tests?

Am I right in getting wound up about this? I can’t help but feel that to deal with this and ensure that I don’t go low before the test that I will probably reduce my Lantus the night before to ensure I don’t go low and require a snack before the test. This will probably mean that I will have a higher than normal blood glucose in the morning and that will go against the normally tight control that I like to run at.

I’ve been a type 1 for 35 years and have never (since diagnosis) been asked to do a fasting blood test and it is winding me up -not to mention the view of my previous consultant is causing me some concern.

Am I being silly or is this an inappropriate request from the GP?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marcus

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
At least one of these tests needs to be a fasting test. It is not the Hb1AC but I don't know which one.

I've been asked to do a fasting blood test for cholesterol, sometimes but not usually....
Personally, I'd probably have my lantus as normal and just not eat or inject before the (early) test. Have a glucotab or something if you feel low when you get up and don't panic if you're not quite fasting when you do the test....

If your lantus is correct then it shouldn't be an issue, and if it is an issue then you've got a good case for getting your insulin amounts reviewed....

Good luck

Ellie

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was sent for a fasting blood test a while back and when i mentioned this to my diabetes team they said i should never had been sent for fasting bloods .

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to fast prior to my glucose tolerance tests and various other bloods when I was on a medical trial. That not only involved a 50 min train / tube trip but also a 10 min walk.

Absolutely no issue - I just didn't take any fast acting insulin.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
i was sent for a fasting blood test a while back and when i mentioned this to my diabetes team they said i should never had been sent for fasting bloods .

I have never had a fasting blood test, because of being type 1, that what I was told.

Reactions: karen8967

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went hypo on the way to a fasting blood test, so complained. As a result I have never been asked to go for a fasting blood test since.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They have always wanted a fasting blood test once a year here for cholesterol testing. (US) It doesn't matter whether you've never had cholesterol issues, what type of diabetic you are, they like to keep an eye on it. It is just a walk in clinic to get the blood test whenever you want, so if you are too low etc you can go another day. But if you ask they will tell you it's okay to drink orange juice if needed as it has nothing to do with a cholesterol test.

I have been reading where they are starting to push for a non fasting cholesterol test as it's supposed to be a more accurate read of what your levels actually are. So it is starting to depend on the doctor.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had a fasting test. Told not necessary. My question is, why the blood tests to qualify for a Libre. Any results they need should be on your blood monitor. Plus your previous HBA1C. And the knowledge from your team using all your previous results which are in your records. Sounds like a delaying tactic to me.

MDJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had a fasting test. Told not necessary. My question is, why the blood tests to qualify for a Libre. Any results they need should be on your blood monitor. Plus your previous HBA1C. And the knowledge from your team using all your previous results which are in your records. Sounds like a delaying tactic to me.

It strikes me as a delaying tactic as well. Best case it's just unneccessary hoop pumping that they are forcing. It happens a lot in the East of England CCG's for some reason. In my CCG (East & North Herts) I can only get a Libre prescription via a Hospital consultant. As I currently don't see a consultant (I have my primary Diabetes care via the Diabetes Nurse at my GP's surgery) I need a referral to see the consultant. The consultant's clinic will only accept the referral if it comes with a full set of bloods taken less than six months ago. I had my last set of blood's done at my annual check last December. Hence the reason for the test - but in this case the GP has specified a fasting test which I don't agree with. Hence the question.

Thanks, Marcus

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i used to have a fasting blood test every year for my annual review but they stopped about 7sh years was told me they were not very useful compared the the HBA1C

MDJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a bit of an update. Had the blood test today and had a moan about being asked to do a fasting blood test. I was immediately told that it was inappropriate for me to be asked to do one and policy was NOT to request type 1's to have a fasting blood test. Suspicion is that when GP ordered the test online using their system the box that turned off the standard fasting blood test request was not checked. Probably a case of GP not paying attention to what they were doing when the test was ordered. I was told in the future, if I'm ever again asked to turn up fasting for a blood test, to just ignore the request.

Just happy that what I thought was the case turned out to be correct.

Reactions: becca59