Fasting blood test??

Wardyanna1

Hi there.... Please can I ask if diabetes can ONLY be detected with a fasting blood test???.... I've been suffering with thrush for nearly a year... I'm having a fasting bloodtest this morning.... However my doctor said you won't have diabetes your glucose levels were fine on your last bloodtest (10 months a go ) but this wasn't a fasting blood test????

Please help
Anna...

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I was diagnosed after a fasting blood test. I didn't want to believe I had diabetes so I had another fasting test which confirmed it. The first test was included in routine blood tests which had nothing to do with diabetes.

collectingrocks

The question of thrush (and for so long) is a marker for diabetes. I'm having a HbA1c and fasting glucose test next week.

Do tell us how you get on

Wardyanna1

It's all really new to me..... Can I ask what a HbA1c test is???....I'm really hoping I haven't but at least il have a reason for my discomfort for soooo long!!!....

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A fasting test cannot properly be used to diagnose diabetes as it does not detect sugar spikes after meals. If it shows up as very high then it does indicate diabetes but if it is normal it does not eliminate diabetes. The standard diagnostic tests are the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) or the HBA1C, the latter being the real measure. For this you need to have blood taken by a phlebotomist at the hospital or local surgery. It shows the average blood sugar over the previous 3 months. I was diagnosed with a urine stick; crude but if positive it does indicate sugar in the urine and hence diabetes.

Wardyanna1

Thanks for all your help.... I see so if it comes back normal that's not nessesary the answer.... I might ask for them to do that then... I really hope I haven't but my partner is adamant that's what I've got.... Il list some of my symptoms & see what you all think???

Constant thrush for aprox a year

Really tired/lethargic spells (especially after a meal).

My vision is blured sometimes worse then others.

I'm never really thirsty though which is why I'm not
convinced..

Thanks
In advance