Fasting hypo

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from wet and windy Scotland. Had a long lie on Sunday with FBG 4.9 at 11.30am I was feeling good so thought I would try a fast until my evening meal of roast chicken and veg. I was walking around the supermarket later that afternoon and bam...started to shake, lightheaded and became very disorientated. I didn't have my meter with me so my partner grabbed a bag of jelly babies and opened them there and then as he thought I was about to faint. Had to get a taxi home and BG tested at 8.2 (highest it has been in weeks). I felt pretty rubbishy for the rest of the evening. Was there anything I could have done to avoid this? I've been feeling great with LCHF and readings have been pretty consistently in the 5s. Jeez I hate hypos!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Kaye stevenson, i'd suggest with bs that was 4.9.....it would be wise to eat breakfast,then as you ate the jelly babies you prob' had a sugar rush,i find that i am getting good consistent Bs's by eating small measured meals.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get this.
In fact, I have got it all my life.

Went through about 20 years of skipping breakfast (never hungry, so why phaff?) and then running til lunch or even mid afternoon. At which point, I would fall/crash/raven into food, usually something with carbs, although I learned better over time. Don't think it did me any good at all, because I was effectively causing a crash-and-return-swing every day.

Of course, I felt great all morning til I ate, and dreadful all afternoon and evening, but I kinda thought that was normal...

Fasting is very popular nowadays, but it only works for me if I have something incredibly slow release (the cream in a cup of coffee) in the mornings as 'breakfast'.

And don't get me wrong - fasting is great for some people, especially when done properly as suggested by Jason Fung, who also suggests using fat to smooth things out.

Nowadays, I also skip breakfast most days, but I have one big, or two smaller cups of coffeencream during the morning, and I still know that when lunchtime comes, I will go from 'fine' to 'FEED ME' in about 5 mins. Mr B gets a bit nervous...

Reactions: 4 people

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I did have coffee and cream when I got up but then the supermarket "episode" was at about 5.30pm so still 6 hours with no food. The jelly babies were a very bad idea but my OH was in a panic. Having never eaten breakfast in my life, I now wake up with an appetite. Munching on raspberries as I type :)

Reactions: 2 people

JoeWalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought coffee was a no no for diabetes 1 or 2 ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KayeStevenson :)

And if you are anything like me, when you feel fine, you aren't hungry, and when you aren't hungry, you forget about food...

This is why I have that second coffeencream, and sometimes even a third one, just to keep dripfeeding the fat. I can go all day doing that - but I do have to be careful about exercise. Anything strenous will dip my bg, and start The Hunger. Sometimes this can be as little as a flight of stairs, if my 'reserves' have dipped low.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought coffee was a no no for diabetes 1 or 2 ?

Yes, I have heard that too.
Load of codswallop.
:D

No sugar, of course.
I AM rather sensitive to caffeine, so I drink decaff.
Although I do admit that I drink coffee for the chance to put cream in it, as much as for the pleasure of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

JoeWalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for that Brunneria, cos I just love my decaff, haven't had any since being diagnosed type 2 back in November 2015

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for that Brunneria, cos I just love my decaff, haven't had any since being diagnosed type 2 back in November 2015

Oh no! you poor thing!

There are some coffee threads around here somewhere which will show you the whole range of coffee beliefs/facts/fictions for diabetics on the subject.

My personal perspective is that too much of ANYTHING is bad, and if you drink coffee sensibly (no sugar) and in moderation, then it can be one of the highlights of a diabetic life. It is for me.

Here you go:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/coffee.79391/

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
@KayeStevenson :)

And if you are anything like me, when you feel fine, you aren't hungry, and when you aren't hungry, you forget about food...

This is why I have that second coffeencream, and sometimes even a third one, just to keep dripfeeding the fat. I can go all day doing that - but I do have to be careful about exercise. Anything strenous will dip my bg, and start The Hunger. Sometimes this can be as little as a flight of stairs, if my 'reserves' have dipped low.

That's me to a T...actually we had quite a strenuous walk to the supermarket which might have contributed to the dip. Learning every day!

I'm a decaf and cream girl too... I love it :D

JoeWalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no! you poor thing!

There are some coffee threads around here somewhere which will show you the whole range of coffee beliefs/facts/fictions for diabetics on the subject.

My personal perspective is that too much of ANYTHING is bad, and if you drink coffee sensibly (no sugar) and in moderation, then it can be one of the highlights of a diabetic life. It is for me.

Here you go:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/coffee.79391/

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morning all from wet and windy Scotland. Had a long lie on Sunday with FBG 4.9 at 11.30am I was feeling good so thought I would try a fast until my evening meal of roast chicken and veg. I was walking around the supermarket later that afternoon and bam...started to shake, lightheaded and became very disorientated. I didn't have my meter with me so my partner grabbed a bag of jelly babies and opened them there and then as he thought I was about to faint. Had to get a taxi home and BG tested at 8.2 (highest it has been in weeks). I felt pretty rubbishy for the rest of the evening. Was there anything I could have done to avoid this? I've been feeling great with LCHF and readings have been pretty consistently in the 5s. Jeez I hate hypos!

Hi, @KayeStevenson

It was the strenuous walk I would like to think, but I could be wrong. The stress of shopping would have me quaking!
I never fast unless I am fairly sedentary during it, yes I take the dog out for half an hour or so, but not at a brisk pace.
The most important part of your post is that low carb is working.
It's still early days and your body might still be adjusting.

Remind me, how did your tests go?
I'm being lazy, I'm on a fast myself today, so, I think you've had fasting and glucose tests. How did you get on?