Fasting & Metformin?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Hello - I just thought of this wrinkle: How do I take Metformin whilst on an extended Fast? This is a short fast, 18 hours, so would be I counter the fast? And with what? I’m drinking water and white coffee.

All advice and alternatives gratefully received. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is useful info from Dr Fung , regarding fasting in here.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/questions-and-answers#consider

I have copied the relevant info about Metformin from that article here:

“I’m on Metformin. I absolutely can’t take this med without food as it will cause me serious gastro issues. The last fast that I did, I simply discontinued the med for the 4 days and then resumed when I started eating solids again. Is that a wise thing to do, or am I potentially causing a problem?
I can only say that we often hold metformin during fasting in our IDM clinic due to GI upset. This is OK as long as blood sugars remain in a good range. I cannot comment on whether you should take them yourself.”

It would appear that the decision on whether anyone fasting stops Metformin during the fast is being left to the individual, and is dependent of whether or not they have gastric issues if they take the Metformin without food.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal experience echoes what @Pipp found. I've done multi day fasts while taken metformin with no gastric issues but I never had any issues with metformin anyhow. My routine was to take my single metformin with my morning tea which was/is all I eat until maybe 4.00 pm anyhow so I pretty much knew things would be fine. I think suck it and see is all we can offer you.

Reactions: mo53

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Thanks guys.

OK, 22 hour fast, yes I did get beyond 12noon, but still 6.3. I didn’t take any Metformin. I’ll try with tomorrow.

Reactions: ianpspurs

RICK-59

Hello - I just thought of this wrinkle: How do I take Metformin whilst on an extended Fast? This is a short fast, 18 hours, so would be I counter the fast? And with what? I’m drinking water and white coffee.

I was on 4 metformin and 2 glicozide when I began fasting, I took them with water. After a week I was doing OMAD everyday and my bg began to drop below 4mmol/l so I started dropping 1 tablet at a time until I was free of all tablets. It's important to keep a close eye on your bg.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Is it extended release? Just wondering on the half life of it and whether that would impact.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, what would the ramifications be?
It was just a thought that if it is extended and you stop taking, it would remain in your blood for a while. So, you might not see any impact from not taking it as it’s in your system so you may not truly be stopping taking it on a fast

are you trying fasts to improve your blood levels?