Fasting, please help….

JayBee28

Good evening,

I’ve seen fasting mentioned a lot on these forums. I have breakfast, lunch and dinner in the week. At weekends, I tend to do brunch then dinner. I do not eat between meals.

I’m type 2, just 2 months in to my journey. Following a low carb diet (i.e. none). Is it recommended to skip meals? I’ve noted some people just have coffee with cream for breakfast (I do not like either). I don’t think I’d last on a cup of tea.

Also, why do you fast? My daily readings are down from 11+ to in the 5’s and 6’s and 7’s for the Dawn Phenomenon (sometimes lower, the earlier I get up).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

M

Member496333

I just eat when I’m hungry and drink when I’m thirsty. No prescribed patterns or times. I don’t believe it needs to be any more complex than that. Usually amounts to only one or two man-sized meals per day. Obviously with the trappings of modern life and fitting in with others, I sometimes have to wait until it’s convenient, but being keto adapted, hunger is always more just looking forward to some tasty sustenance rather than “OMG my stomach thinks my throat’s been cut”.

Reactions: JayBee28 and boggle

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin resistance results from high insulin. When you fast insulin goes down which can help reversing the insulin resistance. A number of people do time restricted eating to help stop insulin being high all the time, they still eat at least once a day. Others do greater than 24 hour fasting.
If you are on medication you need to adjust it otherwise you can have problems with hypos (somewhat dependent on the medication).
You will find time restricted eating and multi day fasting easier once you are 'fat adapted' as your body just switches to using your body fat rather than food you eat.
I suggest you do not exceed 1 week with fasting because there can be complications.
Make sure you drink enough fluid/water and take salt.
I found on Youtube the low carb downunder information helpful. Other information such as Jason Fung is also of interest.
I also found fasting blood glucose values went down after a day or two of fasting.

Reactions: JayBee28

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion it's another tool thats handy to know about, and to be able to apply if or when needed.
It isn't vital, or regimented and can be adapted to suit your body and your meter, in your time.
For me I have gradually increased the time between meals, but do eat if I am really hungry. I have skipped the odd meal when I am not hungry, or when there's been no suitable food available. It has got easier over time as my weight and appetite have reduced.
Who knows what regime I will have in a year, or 2 or 5 or 10?
Whatever works best for my body at that time is the answer.

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I fast because it seems to have a good effect on my blood glucose and because the keto diet could only get me so far with weight loss.

You will probably find that after a while on a low carb diet you will just naturally lose your appetite and can start to reduce your eating window if you wish. I find I am never hungry at breakfast.

I don't think their is any requirements for fasting, as mentioned it's another tool you could use if you want.

I think adding cream to coffee would technically break a fast, as I imagine most peoples body would produce an insulin response.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening,

I’ve seen fasting mentioned a lot on these forums. I have breakfast, lunch and dinner in the week. At weekends, I tend to do brunch then dinner. I do not eat between meals.

I’m type 2, just 2 months in to my journey. Following a low carb diet (i.e. none). Is it recommended to skip meals? I’ve noted some people just have coffee with cream for breakfast (I do not like either). I don’t think I’d last on a cup of tea.

Also, why do you fast? My daily readings are down from 11+ to in the 5’s and 6’s and 7’s for the Dawn Phenomenon (sometimes lower, the earlier I get up).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Fasting? It worked for me, along with cutting carbs. I don't eat "regular" meals at all - my non-diabetic wife sets the meal times but I eat when I want to and not otherwise. She has breakfast, I don't. In practice this works out for me usually as one (evening) meal a day anywhere between 6 and 8pm and maybe some salami and olives (~25g salami, 4 or 5 olives) around 1-2pm. Coffee plus cream from 6am, I'm one of those people. It's not a routine I have to stick to - it feels much more like my "normal" eating pattern. Days when I'm on my own I can easily go 24 hrs without eating, without trying or being aware of it.

If it works for you, fine. If it doesn't work for you, try something else. One size does not fit all.

Reactions: JayBee28 and boggle