1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting when unwell?

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Pink_Minx, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Pink_Minx

Pink_Minx Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I started IF two days a week last week and am due to fast tomorrow, however I've come down with a stinking cold and feel really rough. I'm not sure whether to go ahead with fasting tomorrow.

On one hand, my appetite's not huge at the moment, so it should be even easier, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Has anyone tried it?

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

From what I remember of Jason Fung's comments (on his website) he very clearly says that fasting will make you feel hungry, but it should not make you feel ill. Stop fasting immediately if you start to feel like that.

Some people use fasting as a detox cleansing method. Fung obviously doesn't. Lol. So I expect it will come down to a judgement call depending on how you feel.

Maybe some googling will give you an overview you can apply to your present situation.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Personally I would try it and if you feel worse then eat something.. I did a 4 day fast after a dose of norovirus.. great for the weight loss and most of it stayed off..didn't make me feel any worse. To be honest I'm not sure anything could have.

4. Pink_Minx

Pink_Minx Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks, both. I'm doing the Michael Mosely 5:2 - 500 cal a day. Last week I didn't feel hungry at all and felt really good for it.

This cold is draining me and I just feel like death warmed up today. I was a bit concerned that as I feel really weak today, that I won't have enough energy without much food tomorrow.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow and take it from there.

@bulkbiker - Norovirus? Oof, poor you. Yes, I'm a believer of starving any stomach bugs out - if they don't have anything to feed on, they'll die. I've taken my Mum to hospital too many times with that for me to consider it a viable weight-loss aide though!

@Brunneria - as an aside, I made your cinnamon crunch yesterday and had it with some yogurt this morning. V lush indeed - thanks very much!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook