Fasting

jay10

Does anyone have any veiws on fasting, I for religious reasons and have done previously but do to the to the time of year when it takes place changing it will be 18 hours!!!! this year dawn to dusk.

Jay

louiseb

I looked at your profile and it says that you are type2 controlled by diet so I cant see any reason why you would not be able to fast for 18 hours. however i am not medically qualified and that is just my opinion youshould discuss it with your doctor.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
jay10 said:
Does anyone have any veiws on fasting, I for religious reasons and have done previously but do to the to the time of year when it takes place changing it will be 18 hours!!!! this year dawn to dusk.

Jay

Are you a Muslim or of another faith ? We had this question asked previously by a Muslim member and the answer was that it can be done but you need to discuss it with your GP first. There are some scholars of that Faith who say you MUST fast, and there are others who say because of your Diabetes you don't need to. Something you also might need to discuss.

If you do attempt a fast, you must be aware that that could lead to your body 'liver dumping' and significantly raising your BG levels, if you continue to go without food it will get worse and the levels will climb higher. Throughout the whole of any fast you should check your Bg levels frequently so that you are aware of what is happening. It is not something that is medically approved but it does happen with the caveat as pointed out in this post.

Discuss with your GP first.

Ken

jay10

Thanks for your replies, yes Ken I am a muslim I had discussed this with a scholer at my local mosque who did advise that I was exempt, but I have always fasted and did not want this to be another thing that I can't do because of diabetes. Though I definatly do not want to put my health at risk, have a routine app next week so will discuss with my GP.
Thanx again.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Why not give it a try for a day and closely monitor your blood glucose levels and if your levels stay within levels you are happy with then carry on fasting, if they go too high then at least you know from talking to someone at your mosque that you dont have to carry on if it is bad for your health.

In other words try it and see :)

anniep

As Sid said, try it and monitor to see how it effects your body, but talk to your doctor as it may effect yuor medication.

I couldn't fast because of the dawn phenomenon, my BG just rises and keeps on rising until I eat something non- carbohydrate. Though I could eat breakfast and then nothing else for the rest of the day. Other people may find that their BG goes too low if they fast.

You are an individual and you are the expert in your body, try it carefully and see what effect it has.