Fat Fast Starting Monday 3rd August

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes. prob decaff bpc for supper and mac nuts for a snack down in the low 80% fat ration so need to pull something out of the bag.

Reactions: 2 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear - that must be so frustrating with all the prior hard work you've put in. I'm reading Gary Taubes - why we get fat at the moment. He wouldn't be a fan of the fat fast - he has it in for carbs though - even leafy green ones to some extent!

At least not everything gained was lost, I put on weight my BGs stayed within normal range (of course spiking with certain foods but nothing to call home for). Interestingly enough, despite the weight gain, after starting low carbing again my numbers have improved even if slightly, but the weight doesn't want to go anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Merrylizard1314

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438692305.523405.jpg

Failed again! I think I might have to forgo the salad in favour of more macadamias.

Reactions: 8 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
View attachment 14624

Failed again! I think I might have to forgo the salad in favour of more macadamias.

MerryLizard - I mentioned to Mr Svea sitting beside me that you seemed to be being rather tough on yourself for such a small % off the 90% (as in the 4%). We had a good peruse at your beautiful pie graph there. He says "Less than 5% is well within your error margins," which is a fancy scientific way I believe, for 'such a small percent off doesn't count as off ', surely? As it is so close to the goal, which is bloomin' high to begin with! And laudable for getting there, etc etc. But macadamias - all good in any case :).

Reactions: 9 people

Merrylizard1314

Sorry to hear - that must be so frustrating with all the prior hard work you've put in. I'm reading Gary Taubes - why we get fat at the moment. He wouldn't be a fan of the fat fast - he has it in for carbs though - even leafy green ones to some extent!

I bought" Why we get Fat and what to do about it" last year, and then I read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" which GT wrote first, and it is so densely packed with citations from journals and research papers, the man is a Cochrane Institute all by himself! Certainly cannot take in everything in one reading, but it is like a thriller, leading you from one breathtaking misjudgement to another, with lots of academic in-fighting. In the end, I almost felt that I could understand some of it!
And certainly GT is into carb bashing - and who can blame him?
I wish he would write about this recent craze for supplements, so that I would know what and who to believe.
I only take fish oil in winter because every October, at school, out would come this enormous bottle of cod liver oil and an enormous spoon to go with it, and we would all line up for a dose 3times a week, and all from the same spoon!

Merrylizard1314

MerryLizard - I mentioned to Mr Svea sitting beside me that you seemed to be being rather tough on yourself for such a small % off the 90% (as in the 4%). We had a good peruse at your beautiful pie graph there. He says "Less than 5% is well within your error margins," which is a fancy scientific way I believe, for 'such a small percent off doesn't count as off ', surely? As it is so close to the goal, which is bloomin' high to begin with! And laudable for getting there, etc etc. But macadamias - all good in any case :).

Thank you for those comforting words @AloeSvea,, and I still have 3 more days to better my percentages, so I'm not downhearted....

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
OMG OMG!

Am I out of control?

I wanted to be in deep ketosis but, is this:

View attachment 14639

Too deep?

How do I burn those ketones and get the level down to optimal?

Addendum: been in the lowering 3s for blood glucose this afternoon. Have a slight headache but, otherwise feel bloody great - apart from being at work!

Just eaten some "Woah Macadamias" to hopefully reduce the ketones.

I have been up to 6.3 mmoles/ l BHOB, with no ill effects. As long as your BG,s are normal there is nothing to fear.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So is 3.4 mmol / L for blood glucose alongside 4.6 mmol / L for blood ketones a cause for concern?

My slight headache is fading and other than that I have and still continue to feel absolutely fabulous!

No cause for concern, you have had a big day today, full of tension and plenty of excitement.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before bed:
Blood Glucose 4.8 mmol / L
Blood Ketones 1.8 mmol / L

Woke during the night with blood glucose 3.7 mmol / L

This morning:
Blood Glucose 4.3 mmol / L
Blood Ketones:

View attachment 14610

So very pleased with both of those! That's the lowest ever fasting blood glucose along with the highest ever fasting blood ketones for me!

Really excited to see how the ketosis progresses today - for all three of us!
That really is good numbers, pain and gain life balance thing. Well done to you @nomistheman

Reactions: 6 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought" Why we get Fat and what to do about it" last year, and then I read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" which GT wrote first, and it is so densely packed with citations from journals and research papers, the man is a Cochrane Institute all by himself! Certainly cannot take in everything in one reading, but it is like a thriller, leading you from one breathtaking misjudgement to another, with lots of academic in-fighting. In the end, I almost felt that I could understand some of it!
And certainly GT is into carb bashing - and who can blame him?
I wish he would write about this recent craze for supplements, so that I would know what and who to believe.
I only take fish oil in winter because every October, at school, out would come this enormous bottle of cod liver oil and an enormous spoon to go with it, and we would all line up for a dose 3times a week, and all from the same spoon!
Yep good read haven't read his first book yet but it sounds like your along the right track if you can remember that far back!

Reactions: 2 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just about to set off to hythe now. Mac nuts for snack this afternoon. Just about to make a decaff bpc which I've included in today's mfp as don't see myself eating anything else today.

Have dipped in and out of some threads today - anything much been happening or just another boring day at the office.

Just over 1000 cals by 50.

Nom - easy tiger!

Screenshots_2015-08-04-21-49-44.png

Merrylizard1314

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438792023.205520.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438792087.499754.jpg

Fasting BGL 3.8, ketones1.6 in morning

Overcompensated and made 92% and 2.8 ketones. Too much double cream cheese sauce, I think!

@Baruney, what is happening with nom?he will still be in the FF won't he?

Reactions: 7 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. You're doing really well. You can never have too much double cream cheese sauce IMHO. :hungry:

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola

Fasting bloods 5.7 and blood ketones 0.7. on Sunday those figures were 8 and 0.1 so happy with that.

Was going to have a decaf bpc for supper but had some pastrami cream cheese rolls as had no decaf in the cupboard. Bumpers. That really kyboshed the ratios today and I would say BT a significant amount rather than the odd %.

Just over 1100 cals but did go for a 4 mile run with the dog earlier. So what efect two extra very thin pastrami slices on the ratios.....
Screenshots_2015-08-05-21-41-23.png
Screenshots_2015-08-05-21-41-23.png

Merrylizard1314

This am 4.0mmol/L. Ketones 1.6. This is what I don't get- usually people get much lower BGLs on FF but mine tend to stay the same, or else rise slightly. And does the fall in ketones overnight mean that I've used them up? It is a mystery.
You are doing excellently well, Baruney, you are definitely inky now. You are certainly cutting your carbs to the bone!
Had a proper nom type BPC earlier, which has wiped all hunger from my mind, and I doubt if I'll even make 1000 today, having overdone yesterday by 100 or so.

Edited to correct having pressed the wrong button halfway through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This am 4.0mmol/L. Ketones 1.6. This is what I don't get- usually people get much lower BGLs on FF but mine tend to stay the same, or else rise slightly. And does the fall in ketones overnight mean that I've used them up? It is a mystery.
You are doing excellently well, Baruney, you are definitely inky now. You are certainly cutting your carbs to the bone!
Had a proper nom type BPC earlier, which has wiped all hunger from my mind, and I doubt if I'll even make 1000 today, having overdone yesterday by 100 or so.

Edited to correct having pressed the wrong button halfway through.
Hola @Merrylizard1314

I was rereading v+p art and science of low carb performance last night. Mainly about protein but as luck would have it ketones too and the lowest blood ketones are the first readings of the day and this will rise throughout the day. The highest reading will be after exercise or an evening meal almost exclusively fat - carbs and protein will reduce this. As your in such a sweet spot I don't think you even need to really consider this. so you are still a fat burning machine and an optimum one at that. Nutrional ketosis starts at .5 and optimum 1.25.

Same thoughts on blood sugars really (in regards to sweet spot). My bloods have reduced dramatically cos I was coming from a bad place 8.0 to 5.5 thanks to the ff. it's been brutal but knew it would be. Aim is to maintain 4 to 5 here on in. I don't think you've got a lot to play with being in that range and is there any advantage to going any lower.

Interestingly we talked about fat bombs before starting this and have found that there are too many cals and protein in the to be of use on the ff. think they will be beneficial when we increase our cals from sat onwards. I wonder what increasing cals will have on your bloods as you are so well adapted?

Tell you what. Let's do a beyond the ff. I exited on the wrong foot last time and blew all the 5 days hard work over a 3 week period. This time no booze and tight protein and carb control.

Can I send you a private message about Aussie 'dealers' the eBay ones I use are out of stock on ketone strips and there's no way I'm paying UK prices?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning troops

5.5 fasting and 0.4 blood ketones. So bloods still in the right direction. Slightly disappointed in ketones but think that is due to having too much protein (relative to the fat fast) due to running out of decaf coffee.

So to hit ratios today am going to kick off with a bps and same for lunch so will be able to know how much protein to play with at the end of the day.

Merrylizard1314

Yes, I agree to the better beyond FF. Can we keep it on this thread?
And most of the Fat Bombs I've had a look at, besides Pecan sandwiches are not only high in protein, but look as though it would be tempting to eat many at a time. The nom bacon and egg ones looked as though they would fit the bill for bacon eaters, however.
Today I did not make 90% again. I find it difficult, anyway. I had salmon in a cheese, fennel and caper sauce for dinner. With steamed spinach, lemon and butter. Delicious.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438886716.159676.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438886736.616434.jpg

You are going in the right direction and it will only get better for you. You are already inky, so keep going!

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola slightly over on the calories by about 70 but went for a seafront run with the dog to compensate. Cheeky ****** is snoring on the other sofa now!
Screenshots_2015-08-06-23-25-37.png