fat in the office

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello!

My work's restaurant is infested with low carb substitutes full of sugar. I need something fatty to accompany my meals with and I have only light sugary mayo.

Is there anything fatty that I can keep in my desk with long shelf life to eat with meat and salad?
I was thinking of mayo, but it says that once you open it, you have to refridgerate it and I am not sure I can have access to fridge.

Or is there any other suggestion? Thanks!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about individual sachets of mayonnaise? You can buy 24 sachets of Hellman's mayonnaise on Amazon for £3.89 with free delivery. They'd happily sit in your desk until you need them.

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oils such as virgin olive oil and nut oils like walnut oil can be kept in a screw top bottle out of the fridge - make a simple dressing of oil and vinegar that doesn't need chilled either - drizzle both over salads and veg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts have lots of fat in. Extra thick double cream does also and although you can get it with a lengthy sell by date they might expect you to keep it in a fridge. I don't know how long it will last in a desk drawer.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lard.

Buy a big block and keep it in your fridge at home, and cut a large wedge every day to take to work.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could keep a standard bottle of mayo at home in the fridge, and take a small container to work with you each day, to eat with whatever you have for lunch. Perhaps an empty testing strip tub could come in handy for this - very watertight, and small enough to slip in a pocket. There's a thread somewhere about re-cycling uses for empty test strip tubs.

p.s. Haven't a clue about the hygienic advisability of re-using pots for food purposes, but hey-ho - it's just a thought ;)

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could keep a standard bottle of mayo at home in the fridge, and take a small container to work with you each day, to eat with whatever you have for lunch. Perhaps an empty testing strip tub could come in handy for this - very watertight, and small enough to slip in a pocket. There's a thread somewhere about re-cycling uses for empty test strip tubs.

Ha ha - that's one I started! It's under Off Topic then General Chat.

I'm not sure about putting foodstuff in those, though - don't they have some sort of drying agent to protect the test strips? Mind you, there are loads of little pots you can buy in supermarkets. I use Sistema To Go pots to put lemon juice in when I'm out and about.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Squirty cream that comes in a can doesn't need to be kept in a fridge I think, and it's easy to eat, just squirt it straight into your mouth.

Reactions: 5 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Squirty cream that comes in a can doesn't need to be kept in a fridge I think, and it's easy to eat, just squirt it straight into your mouth.

Glad I don't share an office with you!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All the squirty cream I've eaten/seen needs to be kept in the fridge @britishpub

Peanut butter is ok to keep at room temp, or olive oil, nuts, etc, but maybe you'd have more choice if you could use a work fridge @greener ? That way you could keep things like mayo, cheese, cream, etc, in there and use as you desired.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello!

My work's restaurant is infested with low carb substitutes full of sugar. I need something fatty to accompany my meals with and I have only light sugary mayo.

Is there anything fatty that I can keep in my desk with long shelf life to eat with meat and salad?
I was thinking of mayo, but it says that once you open it, you have to refridgerate it and I am not sure I can have access to fridge.

Or is there any other suggestion? Thanks!

Could you please give an example..? I'm intrigued...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I worked with a pub Cheff that did this.. Back when I was a student. Made him look like a rabid dog! Lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

p.s. Haven't a clue about the hygienic advisability of re-using pots for food purposes, but hey-ho - it's just a thought ;)

Or those little yellow "pods" that contain the toy in a "Kinder egg" stops the toy contaminating the "food stuff" & causing a choking hazard. So they must be OK...

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oils such as virgin olive oil and nut oils like walnut oil can be kept in a screw top bottle out of the fridge - make a simple dressing of oil and vinegar that doesn't need chilled either - drizzle both over salads and veg

I already flood my salad with olive oil (basically the horrible oil they have which must not be extra virgin olive oil) but you can only ingest minimum amounts (the most stays in the plate and even then the amount is small).

How about individual sachets of mayonnaise? You can buy 24 sachets of Hellman's mayonnaise on Amazon for £3.89 with free delivery. They'd happily sit in your desk until you need them.

good idea, but with 12g each I will need 5-10 per meal.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I already flood my salad with olive oil (basically the horrible oil they have which must not be extra virgin olive oil) but you can only ingest minimum amounts (the most stays in the plate and even then the amount is small).

This "horrible oil" they have. Does it have the same consistency & similar taste to WD40??

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or those little yellow "pods" that contain the toy in a "Kinder egg" stops the toy contaminating the "food stuff" & causing a choking hazard. So they must be OK...

Sounds like a plan ..... :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

good idea, but with 12g each I will need 5-10 per meal.
I think you are maybe getting too hung up on the high fat part - you don't need oceans of oil to get the benefit - drizzled oil with a sprinkling of walnuts or pine nuts and cheese will be more than enough fat.