Fat intake.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I hear a lot about fat now being touted as a good part of a diet. Yet, if I ingest a large amount I can become nauseous and lethargic. I have been tested for a stomach ulcer and the results were negative (thank God!!). Foods with excessive oil fall into the same category, I just can't tolerate them.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have found tolerating large quantities of fat makes me feel bloated. When this happens I drink water with apple cider vinegar in it. Seems to help.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have found tolerating large quantities of fat makes me feel bloated. When this happens I drink water with apple cider vinegar in it. Seems to help.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also sometimes feel bad when digesting large amounts of fat at a time... yesterday at fitness I did feel nauseous too from eting 120 grams of fresh coconut...I have always had that problem .. remember childrens birthdays horror where there was too much butter-cream in the cakes and I had to finish the plate where I did not myself choose the size of the piece of cake... I sometimes felt like wommiting... even worse when there was also added this artificial taste of Rum.......

maybe apple cider vinegar is worth a try.... drinking Apple cider vinegar... doesn´t that acid harme the teeth as well ?

Last edited:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This could be due to a digestive problem. How are you having your large amounts ? Sometimes it's more a case of not avoiding fat.
Geoff

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You don't need to eat pounds of lard or drink olive oil, just don't use low fat products. Put a bit of butter on your veg not veg on your butter.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Yet, if I ingest a large amount I can become nauseous and lethargic.

It's not for everyone, it doesn't do me a lot of good either.

Pleased that you don't have ulcers, although treatment is usually antibiotics these days as they have been shown to be the cause.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear a lot about fat now being touted as a good part of a diet. Yet, if I ingest a large amount I can become nauseous and lethargic. I have been tested for a stomach ulcer and the results were negative (thank God!!). Foods with excessive oil fall into the same category, I just can't tolerate them.
I think it depends what you eat along with the fat. If you still take in a significant proportion of carbs then you'll get the bloating and nausea that I used to think was usual. Now that I have cut carbs to almost zero I no longer get those feelings.

Reactions: Robbity and dbr10

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Different fats CAN act different. Saturated fats and too many nuts drag me down and bloat me. As @chalup said, no need to saturare everything I fat. I just eat normal,amounts. No need to eat in excess eating fat does not make you lose weight, go into ketosis etc. Its just meant to replace carb calories. A handful orntwo of salad greens, a few slices avocado and drizzled in olive oil, topped with some protein and you're 80% fat. Not hard to do high fat without over indulging. I like plant fats like avocado and a FEW nuts better than a fatty steak and butter.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also sometimes feel bad when digesting large amounts of fat at a time... yesterday at fitness I did feel nauseous too from eting 120 grams of fresh coconut...I have always had that problem .. remember childrens birthdays horror where there was too much butter-cream in the cakes and I had to finish the plate where I did not myself choose the size of the peice of cake... I sometimes felt like wommiting... even worse when there was also added this artificial taste of Rum.......

maybe apple cider vinegar is worth a try.... drinking Apple cider vinegar... doesn´t that acid harme the teeth as well ?

Yes, it dissolves the enamel off.

Reactions: Freema

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so much seems to be talked about high fat on this forum anymore because I think many who have tried it found it does not suit them but they still low carb. Moderate fat and getting most of it not from saturated fats but from good oils is preferable for a lot of us who do not like or can't tolerate saturated fat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so much seems to be talked about high fat on this forum anymore because I think many who have tried it found it does not suit them but they still low carb. Moderate fat and getting most of it not from saturated fats but from good oils is preferable for a lot of us who do not like or can't tolerate saturated fat.

Not sure that's really what your own thread showed though is it?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/find-new/6486456/posts

and those good oils contain saturated fat too of course.. olive oil has 15g of sat fat per 100g

Reactions: Robbity

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. People with gall bladder problems can find fat a big problem; could be anything of course.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @leslie10152 have they checked you for a hiatus hernia?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thinking back, fat used to cripple me with acid reflux.
Losing weight, and switching to a Mediterranean diet, and Gaviscon shares went through the floor!
I actually had it on prescription for years.