Fatty Food

srm18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you bulk up your meals just with non carb veggies? I eat small amounts of spuds/pasta/rice with dinner so just curious as to the alternatives.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
For ease I will just have a larger portion of the lower carb veg that the rest of the family are having. There are some alternatives that I use and all tbe family like them for example mash made from swede, instead of roast spuds they will join me in having roasted celeriac. When I make bolognese they have the plain old pasta with theirs but I get double the sauce :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you bulk up your meals just with non carb veggies? I eat small amounts of spuds/pasta/rice with dinner so just curious as to the alternatives.
This should help: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

NB there are NO non carb vegetables, though there ARE low carb ones. The only foods that are truly non carb are meat, most fish, fowl and most fats.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I avoid cheese and nuts if I want to lose weight on insulin.
Being on insulin gives slow digestion with too much fat.
These new insulin are tested on carbs and low fat.
Toujeo300 basal insulin doesn't like cheese and nut oils but OK on mackerel oil @ivan 2. I'm finding.
What insulin are you on and are you looking for weight loss?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I avoid cheese and nuts if I want to lose weight on insulin.
Being on insulin gives slow digestion with too much fat.
These new insulin are tested on carbs and low fat.
Toujeo300 basal insulin doesn't like cheese and nut oils but OK on mackerel oil @ivan 2. I'm finding.
What insulin are you on and are you looking for weight loss?

Ickihun - I don't believe insulin gives slow digestion with too much fat. My understanding is fatty foods just naturally take longer to impact blood sugars - even in those with efficient digestions/metabolic processes.

The testing we do, as people with diabetes of any description or treatment, just highlights this more sedentary impact on blood sugars. As I understand it, the timing, and potentially splitting of the bolus dose appears to help with these impacts. These impacts are shown beautifully using something like the Libre, as there's no "missing the rise".

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We chopmthe skins and fry it in a cast iron skillet to make duck bacon!!
I used to do this with chicken skin, but I have had to stop because I just couldn't resist eating it all at once as soon as it was cooked and making myself feel very sick!!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re spicy cauliflower:
QUOTE="bulkbiker, post: 1840662, member: 219467"]And now I can't find the recipe.......
[/QUOTE]
I use something very similar to this recipe, and based on one from an ancient Madhur Jaffrey cookery book which just used a dry fry method as far as I can remember! I use baby cauliflower split into florets, replace cayenne with smoked paprika and simply stir fry with a very little oil - no oven involved. As the floret are small this tends to be very quick and easy.

Good grief, you guys are full on with your fats! Goose, lard, whatever next I pretty much use olive now but dearly loved a roastie done in goose or duck fat.
I just consider the high fat in LCHF to be normal full fat (which I've always eaten, but in somewhat lower quantity) with respect to all the low/reduced fat stuff that tends to be the norm now. If you think of it this way it might seem less daunting/OTT?:D

Robbity