Fatty Food

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Heart attack and newly diagnosed type 2.

Within 4 months lost 40 lb on very low carb diet.Cholesterol and HDL improved significantly.
But avoided fatty cheeses and fat in general (except for fatty fish).
(Bad cholesterol comes from carbs and obesity, not from fat, I hope).

Can I have cheeses (moderate portions, of course), eggs fried on butter, olive oil in salads etc ?

What`s your experience with fat ? Thank you.

Reactions: jeanphyliss

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Short answer is yes. I would avoid all man made fats like seed oils, though. Natural fats from olive oil, coconut oil and animal fats are good in my opinion. I avoid liquid fats except for olive oil and have learned to love solid fats again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on a supposedly cholesterol lowering diet for almost two years before diagnosis, but the doctor skirted around telling me my results, just kept on and on about compliance.
When diagnosed with diabetes I went back to LCHF and after the next tests the nurse said that I'd had a delayed reaction to the diet. Yeah - right.
The originator of the modern LCHF diet, Dr Atkins, was a cardiologist, and he saw no harm in fatty foods etc. and he had thousands of patients who he saw over some length of time.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you find olive oil OK for frying? I do llike to fry my eggs in really hot fat, so they go frilly, brown and crisp at the edges.

For eggs I use lard.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good grief, you guys are full on with your fats! Goose, lard, whatever next I pretty much use olive now but dearly loved a roastie done in goose or duck fat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good grief, you guys are full on with your fats! Goose, lard, whatever next I pretty much use olive now but dearly loved a roastie done in goose or duck fat.

Have you tried roast celeriac in duck fat instead of spuds? A great alternative as long as you can get good readings, of course.
I use all of the stable, solid fats for flavour and for health and because they are a great source of fuel for the body.

M

Moggely

So not an expert by no means but everything we cook is with butter and or coconut oil . Have to admit i use to be afraid of fats and my cholesterol has actually gotten better. Haven't had a heart attack so would be too afraid to advise so just an opinion.New here so hope i'm not overstepping my mark in commenting. Good luck.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also did a cauliflower roasted with butter and curry spices.. v yummy

I've done that one,............ very yum. I also did it with full fat Greek yoghurt and spices.

If you do a full cauli, it looks like a brain when done. :D

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So not an expert by no means but everything we cook is with butter and or coconut oil . Have to admit i use to be afraid of fats and my cholesterol has actually gotten better. Haven't had a heart attack so would be too afraid to advise so just an opinion.New here so hope i'm not overstepping my mark in commenting. Good luck.

An awful lot of people are wary of the HF in LCHF because of the cholesterol question and while it is true that to start with some people see a skew in cholesterol levels (and this is more to do with weight loss than fat intake) this settles down after a while and the break down of lipid values actually improves. It can take a few months because while blood glucose levels can react to change very quickly our lipid values take longer.

You are not overstepping the mark at all. Hello and welcome.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Guzzler. I really like the sound of bulkbikers cauliflower so must give it a go.
And now I can't find the recipe...but I did something like this..
Head of cauliflower.. strip off leaves
"core" it removing most of the woody centre but leave all the florets connected.
Trim base slightly so it sits nice and flat
Par boil for about 4 minutes until it softens slightly
Put aside
Pre heat oven to 180 fan (cos thats the temp I seem to use for everything...)
Melt a big knob of butter in a pan add whatever indian spices/curry powder you like
Edit to add cook these together for a couple of minutes without burning them
Put head of cauli in roasting tin
paint butter and spice mix over cauli head
Put in oven for 20-30 mins until head is softened.
Eat!

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler
M

Moggely

Ok@bulkbiker that's a for go on the menu for us. Husband does the cooking....Why people may ask...Well because he is the better cook. Makes me wonder how our children survived . Oh well they were never fat. lol.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And now I can't find the recipe...but I did something like this..
Head of cauliflower.. strip off leaves
"core" it removing most of the woody centre but leave all the florets connected.
Trim base slightly so it sits nice and flat
Par boil for about 4 minutes until it softens slightly
Put aside
Pre heat oven to 180 fan (cos thats the temp I seem to use for everything...)
Melt a big knob of butter in a pan add whatever indian spices/curry powder you like
Edit to add cook these together for a couple of minutes without burning them
Put head of cauli in roasting tin
paint butter and spice mix over cauli head
Put in oven for 20-30 mins until head is softened.
Eat!

BB do you put your cauli into boiling water to par boil or cold? My old Mum used to say in general if it grows below ground use cold water and bring up to the boil and if it grows above ground then plunge it into boiling water. I have always done it this way but other people say it makes no difference. Just wondering.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BB do you put your cauli into boiling water to par boil or cold? My old Mum used to say in general if it grows below ground use cold water and bring up to the boil and if it grows above ground then plunge it into boiling water. I have always done it this way but other people say it makes no difference. Just wondering.
I put it into boiling water ... I guess me old mum taught me the same thing..although to be honest she didn't teach me much cooking I learnt it more off friends..
I used to rinse potatoes in hot water to get rid of some of the starch then put in cold to heat up.. now of course don't have them..

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I put it into boiling water ... I guess me old mum taught me the same thing..although to be honest she didn't teach me much cooking I learnt it more off friends..
I used to rinse potatoes in hot water to get rid of some of the starch then put in cold to heat up.. now of course don't have them..
Thank you.