Fed up already

Jessicarose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
bean diagnosed t2 for 2 months and am sick of it all. Just want things to be normal again. I am 68 years old and feel there's nothing to look forward to but veg and salad. I love a cup of tea and a bun

Hotpepper20000

bean diagnosed t2 for 2 months and am sick of it all. Just want things to be normal again. I am 68 years old and feel there's nothing to look forward to but veg and salad. I love a cup of tea and a bun
I understand that. It can seem daunting if you only look at what you can't have.
If you bake there are many things you can make that are low carb to have with your tea.

Reactions: L1ncslass

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jessicarose ,

Welcome to the forum.

"Veg & salad"?? What's wrong with eggs & bacon...?

What diabetes medication have you been prescribed?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're not alone! We've all been through the truly awful shock of first diagnosis. It does get better, though, especially with all the help, support and even fun you will find on this forum. I drink huge mugs of tea with double cream instead of milk. I didn't fancy it in the beginning, but now I love the richness (almost like having a biscuit). Cream in coffee is even better. And assuming you are limiting your carbs, cream has half the carbs of milk. Good luck for now, I'm sure we'll meet again somewhere here. Weekends are a bit quiet on the Forum, should liven upon Monday.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi, don't feel sad. I'm type 1 as of Aug this year. Yesterday I made Christmas in a cupcake from the recipes on diabetes co.uk and they're lovely. Do try them

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sending you a hug, it is hard sometimes! I guess I'm lucky that I like cheeses, nuts and meats more than sweet stuff, and I don't mind eating bacon and eggs instead of toast and marmelade. Have you had a look on the food and nutrition section of this forum? You can also use google to find lower carb variants of your favourite food. Just google low carb plus the type of food you would like to eat. More often than not you'll find something.
Good luck!

Reactions: ziggy_w

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Join the low carb program there’s plenty of good recipes to manage your diabetes -

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

you can eat almost all kinds of cheese and meats and nuts in abundance, and if you find some new favorite foods you won´t miss the old food as much
here is a link to a lot of delicious meals.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Try having a look at the Dietdoctor site for keto/low carb alternatives.

It certainly feels like hard work at the begining but bit by bit it gets easier especially when you see the results on you meter in black and white. No one does this overnight and we all have wobbles, take heart, lass, these down days will become a thing of the past.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jessicarose - welcome to the Forum! There is a huge amount of support on here for newbies. I sympathise - I was diagnosed three months ago and have had the odd wobble, including a massive one at a restaurant where the only thing I could see to eat was green salad leaves, chopped tomatoes and a slice of ham! (There was actually more that I could have had but the red mist descended...) It does get better, and regarding eating out, yesterday there was quite a bit on the menu: ploughmans without the bread, chicken Caesar salad (sans croutons) and what I had which was chicken fajitas (only had one small wrap) served with guacamole, sour cream and salad. Not too bad on the carb count and really tasty. One thing I would say is don't try and take it all on board all at once. Have a good browse through the Forum and the website, and check out the Diet Doctor site, as recommended by @Freema and @Guzzler (lots of other sites too). Of course you can still have a cuppa and a bun, but the bun will be different from what you're used to, perhaps better!

It's a tricky time of year for adapting to a whole new way of eating and, depending on how you feel or whether you are on meds and testing, perhaps don't try and go cold turkey (excuse the awful pun) and just enjoy your Christmas. There are threads where people have posted how they are going to treat, and treat!, Christmas.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome.

Please dont despair. There are a lot of good things to eat, it just needs new eyes. ( and your new diet will help keep your eyes healthy as well!) We are not trying to be all up beat and pollyannery just to make you feel better about all of this. It is really tough at first. I was dx in june this year and nearly cried when faced with the dreaded eatwell guide from the nhs.

Have a look at dietdoctor and some of the really good recipe sites that advocate low carb living. There are alternatives to most things. I have started cooking again from scratch and recently made scones. They are not the same as the ones I used to buy, but they taste great and I know exactly what goes in them.

I make crackers for all the cheese I eat. I eat meat, bacon, cheese, loads of veg and salad,(which I have come to love, after a lifetime of hating). Lots of cream and yoghurt.

Do you have any weight to lose? And would you post your hbalc?

I can honestly say I have not felt this well for years. I am a bit younger than you and had really decided that life had nothing muchto more to offer me. I wasnt depressed or suicidal, but I really liked to sit in front of the tv, eat food loaded with carbs, (crisps, cake, crackers etc) and then go to bed. I was happy with that.

Now I feel that I want to join in with things again. It is difficult at first. But dont give up. Read around this site and keep.posting.xxx

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no ones stopping your tea just use a sweetner lots of nice new ones about. as buns go if your good for the week treat yourself loads of cream is fine

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It does take a while to get your head around what you can and can't eat, but once you do , you find there are some lovely foods. Its also nice that more and more restaurants are starting to recognise the need to tailor foods for their customers. I ate at an Italian restaurant last week. I started with the liver pate, but asked them to replace the toast with a bed of fresh spinach and some olive oil. I then had a steak and had them replace the chips with kale cooked in garlic and butter . All of the items were already on the menu just in different combinations . They swapped things out very easily, no fuss, no extra charges.

The trick in terms of snacks is in finding new things to create new traditions and also to appreciate that you can indeed have a cup of tea and a bun but it has to be a very occasional treat not a daily thing. It will get better.

Reactions: Sue192

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Same here, i was diagnosed type 1, 2 months ago and have been sick of poking my finger and injecting every day. The sad part is from what i read here no low carb or any special diet will reverse my condition. If i try to eat a bun i will need to inject 5 unit or more.

Jessicarose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thank you all for being so kind. I have lost nearly 2 stone and I needed to any way as I had got into a habit of sitting in front of the TVs eating. My hba1c was 81 now 62. Have not been given testing strips. Been told I don't need to as will send for me to do bloods in a couple of months. Must say I have had a few Christmas treats but I don't know how this does affect blood when I have to wait months.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Must say I have had a few Christmas treats but I don't know how this does affect blood when I have to wait months.
You can get nearly instant feedback with a free meter (though you will have to pay for a tub of strips costing £7.75. You are entitled not to pay VAT on top of that, just put "Diabetes" as the reason on the form when you order. You can get a lot of precous info. and also control of your own life for £7.75!

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Last edited:

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Same here, i was diagnosed type 1, 2 months ago and have been sick of poking my finger and injecting every day. The sad part is from what i read here no low carb or any special diet will reverse my condition. If i try to eat a bun i will need to inject 5 unit or more.

Have your read/researched Dr Bernstein?

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Are you now following a Low Carb High Fat diet? If so you've got 68yrs of old eating habits to change, it takes time to change your mindset and build a new data back of recipes. There are ones for LC cakes and buns out there [everything in moderation] and cups of tea aren't off limits.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Are you now following a Low Carb High Fat diet? If so you've got 68yrs of old eating habits to change, it takes time to change your mindset and build a new data back of recipes. There are ones for LC cakes and buns out there [everything in moderation] and cups of tea aren't off limits.
Hi@L1ncslass I'm 71 years old and started the LCHF diet 12 months ago it is a new learning curve for us but it is do-able
don't try to do too many changes all at once it's too much,the LCHF diet may not be for you but their are other things you could try first, like try cutting down on the carbs bread pasta rice and potatoes, not cutting out completely just reduce them so you ease into things gradually. Look at diet doctor recipes and ask has many questions people on this site are the best you will ever come across,they are helpful and will steer you though any problems with great advice. Don't despair we have all been where you are now but you have found the best place for help on here you will pick things up has you go along. But take it slowly Rome wasn't built in a day,and I'm sure not to long from now you will wonder what you where worried about. Good Luck to You ! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
You can get nearly instant feedback with a free meter (though you will have to pay for a tub of strips costing £7.75. You are entitled not to pay VAT on top of that, just put "Diabetes" as the reason on the form when you order. You can get a lot of precous info. and also control of your own life for £7.75!

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/
Hi someone on here recommended the Tee2 £7.50 per tub of 50 strips meter free so I ordered onlast week received the order from spirit health care. Within a few days, bought it for my husband type2 and I have this meter from my surgery so we can use each other's strips I find it simple to use and probably has accurate has most meters! K