Fed up

Kittym80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi sorry to moan but don't know who to talk to. I was diagnosed type2 about a month ago. I was put on 500mg metformin and now increased to 1000mg. I completely freaked out and have felt stressed and depressed since. I do have good days but generally don't feel great. I was signed off work for 4 weeks and have been going back to work on a phased return but can only cope with a half day ( I work in a school). When I come home I need to sleep. I'm overweight and have to lose weight but that isn't so easy coz of other health issues. Some people have said to me that 'its no big deal' and i ' just need to exercise and cut out sugar!!' But to me it does feel a big deal and scary. I'm also confused by all the different diet information I've been given. I'm not sure what I can snack on mid morning that will keep me going. Any ideas? Thanks xx

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Kittym80 and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get that Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis, and it does take some time to get your head around it all.
You don't say what your other health issues are, but if you are able to adopt a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating, you should be able to lower your blood sugar levels. Many of the T2s on here have reduced theirs, and often weight too.
Have a read round the threads to see how it works, and ask anything you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive, and you will get a lot of good advice.

Do you know what your HbA1c (blood sugar) test result figure was? If not you should ask your GP surgery for the results as you need to know where you are starting from.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. The feelings you are having are quite normal regarding your recent diagnosis. And yes, it is very confusing at first, scary too. You may be sleeping more because your blood glucose is running a little high or because your diagnosis has so overwhelmed you that your mind has said 'enough' and is wanting to switch off for a while. The good news is that you have a few options to chose from and you have joined a knowledgeable forum to learn about those options. Take time to wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like. Honestly, the prognosis doesn't have to be that of a chronic condition and can be controlled with diet and/or medication.

As to snacks, the lower the carb value the better. My favourite was peanut butter butter spread onto chunks of celery or small squares of cheese, a few nuts etc. there are lots of choices. Best wishes.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kittym80 are you on any other medication apart from Metformin. People on here will need to know in order to help you.

If it helps at all I was 114 kgs when I was diagnosed in July with an A1c of 67 and a fasting blood glucose level of 10.3 and my LFT's was somewhere in the 80's and my cholesterol was a bit high too.
I chose to follow a low carb high fat diet and also get walking more. By October my A1c was 26, my LFT's were normal i.e. in the 30's and my weight was ... nah let's go with today it's 87.4kg.:)

You can do this. You can get your blood glucose levels (bgl's) down and at the same time get your weight down. The first thing that I would do is get yourself a blood glucose meter and start testing. You test just before you eat and again 2 hours later. This way you can see for yourself what effect the food that you are eating has on your bgl and then you can decided for yourself what to eat and what not to eat. I'm going to tag in @daisy1 so she can send you lots of information.

Reactions: Prem51

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum. The feelings you are having are quite normal regarding your recent diagnosis. And yes, it is very confusing at first, scary too. You may be sleeping more because your blood glucose is running a little high or because your diagnosis has so overwhelmed you that your mind has said 'enough' and is wanting to switch off for a while. The good news is that you have a few options to chose from and you have joined a knowledgeable forum to learn about those options. Take time to wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like. Honestly, the prognosis doesn't have to be that of a chronic condition and can be controlled with diet and/or medication.

As to snacks, the lower the carb value the better. My favourite was peanut butter butter spread onto chunks of celery or small squares of cheese, a few nuts etc. there are lots of choices. Best wishes.

Hmm I've not tried peanut butter on cheese I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmm I've not tried peanut butter on cheese I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Sorry, I meant little chunks on their own, perhaps with tomato or cucumber. Having said that, I do like Boursin cheese spread on celery, you just reminded me so thanks for that.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Kittym80, and welcome. That's good advice from @Prem51. I was diagnosed two months ago and this website and particularly the forum have been a great help - there is support and advice everywhere. One thing I've found which has helped is to take my time as there is a LOT of stuff to take in and if you read everything all at once it can be overwhelming - take it slowly, as @Mike D says. Diet-wise, some people jump right in and change everything; others take it step by step if their circumstances allow. The LCHF will help with weight loss. Be prepared to make mistakes..... Like my recent one where I saw a no-sugar, raw this, vegan that, gluten-free little cake made locally. Ok, I'll keep that for Christmas as a treat. Tiny print on the back, took it home to see that it had 51.5g carbs! And it's very small. D'oh! For mid-morning snacks there are things like olives (if you like them), pieces of cheese or cottage cheese, sticks of celery etc, a few nuts, a piece of 85%+ choccy - there are loads of ideas dotted about the forum. If I need one, my go-to snacks are a slice of ham rolled up in a slice of cheese, or celery sticks 'lined' with pate. There are excellent websites for low-carb recipes and information, one of the best being www.dietdoctor.com, which is well-worth a browse through the sections. Good luck!

Edit: Oops, seem to have overlapped @Guzzler's post, which isn't showing on my pc!

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome. Nothing much to add to the advice above, but just wanted to say you are not alone. A new diagnosis is indeed frightening. However, it can also be a brand new start.
Like alot of people on here my bgl is now good, I am now a healthy wieght (was obese) and just geel so much better.
Have you gota meter? This is the most useful piece of kit ever.
And please let us know about other health problems/medications.

Take your time, read everything you can find and come back with lots of questions.
Keep in touch.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
its normal to be down. however your in charge of your future use it as a motivator we are here for you. the reality that we have no choice but to alter our lifestyle can become a positive. this condition does not mean your dying it does not mean your going to become crippled. its totally in your hands how your future turns out. with some effort you can lose weight either go into remission or seriously reduce your drug needs and it can seriously help other conditions.
ps welcome

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Kittym80

Good advice above. I’m another who has successfully lost a lot of weight (78 pounds) by following a low carb high fat diet. Do have a read of Daisy’s information and come back with any questions.

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Kitty! I'm now six months from being diagnosed type 2. Once I was over the initial shock (and boy yes it was a shock!), I saw it as the proverbial kick up the bum to get healthier. I was started on Metformin tablets and tolerate them well now after a bit of stomach upset in the early days. I wasn't advised to eat low carb by my GP or Diabetes education course, but stumbled on this forum by chance and took up a low carb life style with self monitoring. I started by eating less than 100g carbs/day to begin with and then after 6 weeks reduced it to 50-70g/day, that’s what I continue on now.

This has worked for me. To date I've lost over 4 stone (still more to go) and got my HbA1c (blood test for 2-3 month average blood sugar) down to a non diabetic level and have loads more energy, all due to the fantastic support and advise I got here. Read around the Forum and I'm sure you'll find a way to do it too!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kittym80

Hello Kitty and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 276,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome! And to endorse what others have said, it can be a real shock to get a diabetes diagnosis, that can take time to get your head around and figure out how to adjust your way of life. And way of eating. I am sure you will find the forum useful and be kind to yourself - it will be a journey and not something that is 'done' quickly.

One thing I would add, is that I try and avoid snacks. Sticking to 3 meals a day, to allow time for my blood sugar to reduce and because you really don't need them. If I have eaten right at meals, which is protein, fat, veg/sals and low carb for me, I know that I should be able to keep me going for at least 5 hours. So if I feel hungry or the urge to eat between meals, I distract myself, drink water or tea or go for a short walk. Even a walk around the block can help and will also help lower your blood sugars.

Good luck :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will not repast what other people have said, as “low carb” clearly works for most people. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb is a good place to learn about learn about low carb. If you are looking for a formal diet that is proven to work very well for people with Type2, try “The New Atkins for a New You” or “The Pioppi Diet: A 21-Day Lifestyle Plan”

Also as from NOW have a short 10 minutes walk after every meal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am one year from diagnosis. My waist is one foot less than it was at diagnosis.
My way of eating is low carb and high fat by today's standards - I feel great, laugh hugely when I stand up and my clothes fall off but try to only do that at home. I go out far more than I used to, go for walks and do housework just because I feel like it.
My results were normal at 6 months - and I do wish that the doctors and nurses would get a swift reeducation in what to tell people at diagnosis.
Since diagnosis I have lost over 3 stone without trying - just by concentrating on keeping my blood glucose normal by not eating high carb foods. I might just be really lucky - but I suspect not - that low carb is a powerful tool and it works for a lot of type 2 diabetics. It is not just don't eat sugar, though - it is all carbohydrates which need to be reduced - I can manage up to 60 gm of carbs a day, but not from the high carb foods, I have to keep to foods which are a low percentage of carbs, but when I do, I have nothing to worry about.
I will never be able to eat what is considered a normal diet, but what I can eat is fine by me.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I meant little chunks on their own, perhaps with tomato or cucumber. Having said that, I do like Boursin cheese spread on celery, you just reminded me so thanks for that.

Oh I can't eat celery. I don't like the taste and it has a stupid effect on me. If I eat it or eat something that a but bit has touched I soon know because my nose itch's like mad. It lasts for some time and I just can't stop scratching my nose.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh I can't eat celery. I don't like the taste and it has a stupid effect on me. If I eat it or eat something that a but bit has touched I soon know because my nose itch's like mad. It lasts for some time and I just can't stop scratching my nose.

Arn't we a funny old lot, us humans? Luckily, I do not have any reactions of that nature and my old Mum used to say that I had a stomach lined with house bricks :)

Reactions: woodywhippet61

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm a long time diagnosed type2 and had symptoms 40yrs ago, as a child.

I was avoiding gps and working long hours in the City of London. I knew I was burning the candle at both ends....or so I thought.
Until..... my diagnosis.
Shock sent me into depression but I ignored it and continued work hard..... them it just hit me like a led balloon.
14yrs later I have 2 gorgeous boys and live back in my home town/city with their southern dad.
Metformin stopped my infertility. So much so I had to get sterilised.
I've resently lost 4st which has to be aportioned to low carb eating.as metformin only helps me lose about 2st. I've deliberately stalled my weight loss for some feastive treats and days out with the young children as I prepare for bariatric surgery after May'18.
In fact I've just ordered some new smaller size clothes for the coming months. My overweight sisters love me at mo as they are getting my new outsized clothes.
Bar annoying immobility and swelling increasing my gain efforts I'm confident more weight loss is for me and restocking cupboard to suit.
Bacon is now my fav again, it was eggs but needing a change.
I'm basing my meals on protein not fats as I'm needing to retain as much muscle as possible, even after surgery. (Just 9st to be ideal weight and not overweight anymore).
I'm looking forward to mo more double chins, for sure.
Ps. This forum has given me the confidence to lose weight that I had totally lost. "What me? Lose weight?" I used to think. I even told my dn as much.
Its funny...she always knew I'd lose weight. Bless her. ;)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Something we do not say often enough is that if someone wishes to lose weight about half the fat in LCHF can come from their body. We also have to remember that a normal steak, for example, is half fat, likewise with bacon. Therefore for lots of people, there is no need to add fat to their diet when doing LCHF, it's more not avoiding food that contains fat.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Something we do not say often enough is that if someone wishes to lose weight about half the fat in LCHF can come from their body. We also have to remember that a normal steak, for example, is half fat, likewise with bacon. Therefore for lots of people, there is no need to add fat to their diet when doing LCHF, it's more not avoiding food that contains fat.
That's how I lose weight. Added fat makes me add weight. I do low carb, low/medium fat. Orilstat has just been readded after metformin stopage due to upset tummy bug. As a result of no metformin my weight loss has stalled but just weighed and have remained same weight for 8 weeks.I've had my share of Christmas chocolates so I'm ready to be strict again (minus Christmas day).