feel like im sinking

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Im a type 2 Diabetic on Metformin and Blood Pressure tablets i also work in Ambulance control.

Been doing quite well I have lost three stone and my blood sugar HBA1c test on diagnosis was 80 got it to 53 now and im trying my best my blood sugars where around 4.5 6 or 7 or about 8 before christmas at the beginning of january my husband was taken in to hospital with DKA non diabetic as far as we knew at the time no symptoms no history of illness however in hospital found out he is type 1 and had pnemonia we actually nearly lost him, i have been off work since and only went back last week, its been a traumatic time as he nearly died, then last week we had to have our dog put to sleep, she was 13 old age but im devastated , but im been checking my blood sugars recently and i have had readings of 8 9 or 10 , ive always had 6 or 7 and sometimes 5 readings so im confused ive not really changed eating habits, ive been of work for 5 weeks with stress due to whats been happening and ive not been sleeping had heart palapertaions which ive been the doctors for reason i was off work just with worry mainly but my next check up is due and i know the reaults wont be good but the surgery is not very sympathhic if the readings are high has anyone else experienced higher sugars if you have been stressed at all thanks

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness you have had a very stressful time. Almost losing your husband then losing your job on top of what you are going through. In my opinion and going off what I've learned from this forum stress can most definitely affect your blood sugars.

Take a look at this link:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/stress-and-blood-glucose-levels.html

If you get chance check out the headspace app. It might help.

I hope you get on ok at your next appointment.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Yes sorry should have explained better, ive not lost my job , but ive just gone back after nearly six weeks thank you for the link ill have a look Jan

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When we experience stress the body releases cortisol, this is one of the 'fight or flight' hormones (along with adrenalin and noradrenaline) that can raise blood glucose levels. This is a physiological response and should never be dismissed or ignored. You have had a very tough time of late so it is not surprising that your levels have risen. As time passes and things hopefully settle down your readings should return to your previous levels. I wish you and your hubby the very best of luck.

Reactions: Prem51

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @jan.steamqueen67

What an incredibly hard time for you, as has been pointed out unfortunately stress has an adverse effect on our blood glucose levels and insulin resistance.

Exercise is really helpful so if you can get out for a walk or try some swimming, it will improve things. Best wishes to you and your family.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Yes sorry should have explained better, ive not lost my job , but ive just gone back after nearly six weeks thank you for the link ill have a look Jan
Sorry that was predictive text. I meant dog. I was travelling in a car late when replying and was tired, so sorry.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just as an afterthought, I would suggest that your husband being recently diagnosed would benefit from joining up as a member here on DCUK. There's a lot to learn whatever type of Diabetes one has and this forum is jam packed full with experienced members who offer support and guidance at every turn.
No Job Too Small, as they say.

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!
Hi @jan.steamqueen67

I'm sorry that you're having a stressful time right now, that's an awful lot for anyone to have to deal with at once.

I can't give you much advice about diabetes as I'm still learning a lot myself, but what the others have said sounds helpful. I can, however give you a few tips on how to manage how you're feeling at the moment, just to make life a little easier for you.

Most importantly, do look after yourself and your health, it will make you feel more in control by doing that. Be kind to yourself, understand and accept that you have been dealing with a very emotional time and that this is part of the healing process.

When I'm going through a difficult time, when life seems really tough, I just go out somewhere, even if it's into the garden, then I just sit and look around, listen to the sounds for a while. When I go back indoors I write down what I saw/heard that I found lovely, pretty or made me smile. When we get bogged down it's very easy to believe that everything is awful, so I find by doing this, you can remind yourself that no matter how you feel, there's still lovely things happening too.

Hopefully you have a good support network around you, family and friends, keep talking and sharing how you're feeling, do what you feel you want to do, have a good cry, a good shout or a good laugh, treat yourself, you're special and you deserve to have some nice treats.

Getting a good nights sleep is so important to both physical and emotional health, try to set a regular bedtime and about an hour before going to bed, stop looking at your phone, computer or TV, all those things keep your mind stimulated, whereas you're wanting your mind to start to prepare for sleep, try to avoid anything containing caffeine during this hour too, try warm milky drinks instead.

Above all, give yourself a big pat on the back for coping and managing as well as you have during this time, take things steady and at your own pace.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel for you, I really do. On top of the scare with your husband you lost your family member and this I totally relate to.

On 29 December we lost our last dog, he was nearly 19. Earlier in May we lost our diabetic dog (not diabetes related).

Well, I lost the plot. I hit the Chinese takeaway hard and often. I couldn't think about cooking or anything much. The loss of the dog in May caught up with me and everything spiralled out of control.

I have my next HbA1c tomorrow and would not be surprised if it was back to a diabetic level.

So what. Stress and grief will do damage to our BG levels. Life happens and we deal with it the best way we can. So I went off piste for a few weeks. I am not going to beat myself up over it. I am looking forward to picking up two puppies in 3 weeks. I am back on the LCHF wagon. Going crazy puppy proofing the house is keeping me busy.

I doubt that my team will give me a hard time with raised levels, if they do I will tell them, nicely, where to get off.

I wish you and your family well, this forum is a fabulous place for advice and support.

Reactions: AmandaAnne

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Edii to remove double post.

Last edited: