Feeling a bit lost

Destin

Summary
Mid sixties male. Active cyclist and walker. No medications or aware of any health issues. Until now ! Yes I am overweight. Two stones heavier than ideal.
Took a comprehensive checkover in September at a private hospital whilst on my travels in Turkey. Consultant said I was diabetic. My uncle was T1.
No other issues of concern. Travelling full time last two years and have not been back to uk yet. Will be in January. Feeling ok but bought test kit for sugars.
Pre breakfast average is 5.6 mmol and last thing before bed averages 6.4 mmol. I’m thinking these numbers are not bad based on my new found interest on the subject. Will be late January before I see my doctor. Just wondered what the forum opinion is? Don’t take sugar in anything I drink and avoid it generally with the odd lapse. Whole diabetes site is a revelation.
Seems brilliant resource.

Last edited:
Reactions: angustia

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably the conclusion was type two?
Welcome to the club, and to the forum.
For type twos the time of interest is after eating, two hours from first bite - to see how the foods have affected you.
A high result should be followed by a reduction in the carb content of the menu and then retesting.
I was up at over 17 when first tested, but soon got down to after meal readings under 8, and then under 7 as time passed. I don't need to test much these days, as I have my meals pretty much sorted.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what test was done to diagnose diabetes? And the actual result with units?

I am assuming type 2 as you haven’t said otherwise and that is the more common type. What are your post meal tests like in comparison to pre meal? That tells you a lot more about what to eat, and not eat, than just at each end of the day.

It’s not just sugar to look out for. It’s carbohydrates. Of any kind. Of any colour. Sugar is just a particularly simple carb very quickly broken down into glucose. Other carbs are quicker or slower but still end up as glucose. And that’s what a type 2 can’t deal with well.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Destin
welcome to the club no one wants to join.

great group as i think you've found, and a wealth of great advice.
doubt you'd find better elsewhere.

i too am assuming T2

the scores you do, are en empty stomach at start of day...
and an empty stomach at end of day..
but as @HSSS says its that 2 hour window after your first bite that tells you the most about how well or not your handling the carbs you ingested.

If you can't of won't go to doctors before you return, i'd check out diet doctor, cut down on the carbs, read up as much as you can, go see doctor in jan., AND eat to the meter..aka test everything you eat, until you get a clear indication it has little effect on you (2.0mmol rise or less)
by then you'll most likely have a better understanding of type 2 then the doctor, sadly

as said ALL carbs turn into sugars
here is a great visual guide to Better choice you could make.

low is GOOD, HIGH is bad
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

i too skipped sugar in tea..job done..or so i thought..:rolleyes:
it does get easier, my friend.

a keen cyclist in one of my fav forums threads when your ready to jump in.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ose-full-on-chat.163627/page-574#post-2160309

Last edited:

Destin

For type twos the time of interest is after eating, two hours from first bite - to see how the foods have affected you.
A high result should be followed by a reduction in the carb content of the menu and then retesting.
I was up at over 17 when first tested, but soon got down to after meal readings under 8, and then under 7 as time passed. I don't need to test much these days, as I have my meals pretty much sorted.

Thanks for this information. I’m still absorbing the knowledge and implications. 2hrs I did keep seeing in the monitor instructions and I understand it better now so will be setting the monitor 2hr alarm timer. Grateful to be lucky for so long and able to tap into such a great resource. Thanks to everyone that responded so quickly.

Reactions: jjraak

Destin

Do you know what test was done to diagnose diabetes? And the actual result with units?

I am assuming type 2 as you haven’t said otherwise and that is the more common type. What are your post meal tests like in comparison to pre meal? That tells you a lot more about what to eat, and not eat, than just at each end of the day.

It’s not just sugar to look out for. It’s carbohydrates. Of any kind. Of any colour. Sugar is just a particularly simple carb very quickly broken down into glucose. Other carbs are quicker or slower but still end up as glucose. And that’s what a type 2 can’t deal with well.

Great info thank you. I do have the paperwork from the tests just not with me right now. I’ve a lot to learn now my heads out of the sand. I see a spreadsheet coming on.

Reactions: jjraak and HSSS

Destin

Thank you. I need to improve my understanding and testing regime.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @Destin, Luv the idea of travelling for so long but why come back to the UK in January? Terrible weather.
I'd suggest that if the doctor gave a blanket statement of "diabetic", you should get this refined and have a blood test when you come back before allowing yourself to be pigeon-holed into one form or other of the condition.

It's great that you've joined the site. I'm relatively new here but I'd be happy to have your numbers and I could do with getting rid of a few stone too. Would it make cycling easier? Enjoy the travelling.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
here’s some links to get you started

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Destin

Hi @Destin, Luv the idea of travelling for so long but why come back to the UK in January? Terrible weather.
I'd suggest that if the doctor gave a blanket statement of "diabetic", you should get this refined and have a blood test when you come back before allowing yourself to be pigeon-holed into one form or other of the condition.

It's great that you've joined the site. I'm relatively new here but I'd be happy to have your numbers and I could do with getting rid of a few stone too. Would it make cycling easier? Enjoy the travelling.

Hello Sue thanks for writing. Yes, weight loss would improve my uphill cycling I’m sure. Planning on cycling the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland next spring so another reason to up my game a bit. Ok, a lot . Cycle most days as I keep a decent bike at my Turkey apartment and am enjoying some late warm weather in Fethiye area just now. Only reason for January is my travel insurance demands a return visit to home (Guernsey) every 6 months. Retired early by choice 2 years ago so will keep going as long as I am able to.
To get some sort of idea of blood levels I bought a monitor and take readings pre breakfast and last thing. Knocked up a quick spreadsheet to help me understand where I am at. Morning levels average in Oct were 5.47 Night 6.40. Nov to date are 5.3 & 6.1
From what I have read I need to be measuring 2hrs after eating. Unsure if this is a once a day after dinner or after each meal.
Was advised to have a look at Diet Doctor site. It’s great. Planning what to cook next. Bye for now.

Destin

Thanks very much for your reply and showing me the links. It’s really useful information and has reduced the blundering around on my part so I’m grateful. My main learning point is understanding carbs properly. Diet Doctor you pointed me to is, as you say an excellent resource. Learning things daily and since starting recording my glucose levels in October the trend is slightly downwards. This I’m sure is due to me taking more notice of carbs and hidden sugars. All good so far.
here’s some links to get you started

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Reactions: jjraak and HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I have read I need to be measuring 2hrs after eating. Unsure if this is a once a day after dinner or after each meal.
It’s relevant after any meal, or even snacks. Pay attention to what you’ve eaten and the carbs especially and see the results. Compare the before and after meal readings. After testing each item or meal a couple of times you’ll get a good idea of what’s safe to eat and what’s likely to give you high readings. Keeping a record is useful too. It applies to exercise too not just meals if you want to see what effect hard v gentle exercise has. (It’s all good long term but sometimes more vigorous exercise temporarily raises levels only for them to be lower for a prolonged period afterwards)
Some people check everything for a short while, others pick a meal a day to focus on. Personally I think learn as much as you can in the early weeks and get on a good path as early as possible. But do what works for you. Testing can be tapered off once you’ve got a suitable repertoire of meals and only done for new foods or to keep an eye on carb creep, if you prefer, in the long term.

Destin

HSSS. Thanks for the quality of information. Last few days have been interesting as ‘Stress’ testing meals by adding items I would not usually eat are revealing my pre and post levels are averaging out ok. Now testing at shorter post prandial intervals for data to plot a typical response curve.
2 hr tests are all less than six now. I’m beginning to wonder about my Turkish diagnosis. No symptoms and no meds although weight is going down (2 kilos) due to better diet. It’s an interesting subject for sure. Robert.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm newly diagnosed type 2, and as a beginner, I find it is beneficial to check before and after breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is part of knowing what foods are agreeable with you .

We tend to react differently with certain foods. Like, I found that potatoes don't affect me, and some foods that spike me can even have a longer negative effect - the reading is too slow coming down! One or two of those foods, even got my reading out of whack for a couple of days. When that happened, I went back to eating simple, whole foods just to get back on track again.

Sometimes, it is the serving size that makes the difference.
I write down what I eat (and compared to the before-meal test, if the after-meal test is high , I can analyze what I ate and make adjustments from there). A good example would be pork rinds.
I found out that eating pork rind is agreeable with me BUT I have to make sure I don't eat too much protein!
If it's eaten with another food that has a large amount of protein - my reading is high.

Last edited: