Feeling a bit overwhelmed

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Please never, ever take meds because your doctor said so. Do your research & reading as much as possible & question everything. There is not a med out there that doesn't have side effects, & statins are known to increase your risk for T2D.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reassurance, Jo. I've been nagged about my weight for the last few years whenever I've had a medical appointment about anything else, as it's been going slowly up as a result of various illnesses and conditions that have reduced my mobility, including arthritis in the hip. The previous dieting advice I received from the GP who suggested getting a blood testing kit was to count calories and ignore everything else - the example he gave was 'Say you have 1400 calories a day. You can eat 1400 calories-worth of chocolate, as long as you stop eating for the day afterwards' - which I though t was spectacularly bad advice! I've been told to cut carbohydrates by hospital doctors before now, but with no clear instructions about how to do that. The Eatwell Plate was also described to me in my first conversation about diabetes. So there's some good advice mixed in with some unhelpful advice, and by the time I get to see the diabetes nurse, the 3 months I've been given to lower my blood glucose levels without meds will probably be more or less up!
Oh jeez, they really let the ball drop eh. It wasn't just the arthritis and such that made your weight go up, it was the development of T2 as well. Weight's not a cause, it's a symptom. And you can tell someone to cut carbs, but they seem to be in everything, so if you don't give them something to work with... Its a road to nowhere. I'm sorry no-one took the time to properly explain things and help you on your way. Hopefully that's changed now. You've got the bunch of us, and while all T2's are different, with different needs, we do all have a bucketload of hands-on experience... Tell us what you need and we'll try and help out.

By the way, my rheumatism's improved a whole lot since I went low carb. (Carbs are inflammatory). So could be your hip'll feel somewhat better on this too.

Reactions: Prem51 and PamJHS

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Here are some Books & videos by: Dr. Richard Bernstein, Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. William Davis.
Also: "The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz, The Real Truth About Sugar by Robert Lustig, Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Tauber, Undoctored by Dr. William Davis, Fat Chance by Dr. Lustig, The Obesity Code by Dr. Fung. Educating yourself is the first step to empowerment. Don't blindly follow any doctor until you understand the mechansims behind T2D.