Feeling a little annoyed with my partner

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@donnellysdogs - poor you. Have they tried you on antibiotics at all?

I had some kind of bug years ago in India from drinking dirty water and constant diahorrea can get quite painful. You might find after cleaning with a moist toilet tissue that using vaseline to protect the skin might help you from getting too sore.
If the GP can't sort it you could always see if chinese medicine could help? Big hugs xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Got a Gastroenterologist who is great.

I have oil of oregano tablets and garlic oil tabs everyday and these are apparently used instead of antibiotics to fend off bad bacteria in the small intestines.
Awaiting for blood,faeces and breath test now.
My new diabetes consultant said yesterday that a few T1's just get bowels that can just be at extremes.
Now just yrying to decide whether to -a) continue eating small tiny amount of limited foods and being pretty much ill all the time or eat larger amounts of food and be ill all the time....what a choice!!
Will wait till I see results of tests and soeak to Gastro chap before making my decision though.

Feel for people that havem't got fully supportive partners though.... Mine has always supported me, no matter if he chose different options for a very long time.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been diagnosed as T1 for 6 months but mrs still tells people "He's not allowed to eat xxxxxx". However many times I tell her I can eat whatever I like as long as I count the carbs and bolus for it, she still comes out with it.

p.s. That doesn't mean I shovel carbs ad lib.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
My lady is superb, 99.9% of the time so if she wants a fish and chips then she gets fish and chips. I control my diet not hers, it's a small thing to let someone else have a treat so please let them and you will be surpised what you get back so stay strong to yourself, be awesome and show diabetes who is the boss

Reactions: Salvia

karona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, please understand that I love my wife to the end of the Earth, but in the fortnight since I was diagnosed she has:
Offered me toast (white bread) and marmalade for supper the evening before a fasting test. :facepalm:
On a Sunday visit to a restaurant a friend owns she's gone to the kitchen to order me something 'special', which turned out to be tinned cream of mushroom soup with bread, while she sat down to a full Sunday roast. :)
At a friends birthday bash she insisted on approving everything I ordered from the restaurant menu, which prompted the comment "I've got diabetes, not dementia" cue an instant huff. :banghead:
Yesterday we were at a carvery for Sunday lunch, I had a lovely plate of roast beef and assorted vegetables, without potatoes. Once she'd finished hers she had potatoes left over, so demanded I ate them for her so she didn't 'look greedy' for taking too much. :)
Yesterday she made a lovely savoury snack from lean minced beef and spices, but then 'glazed' it with a sauce from ketchup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar :arghh:
Today she's just handed me a bottle of Lemon Barley Water, "I thought you'd like this, it's only 11% Sugar" :)
She's a fantastic cook, she's cooked professionally all her working life, and a lot of the fault that my BMI is larger than my waist size is the huge portions of delicious food she's created over the last 25 years, but something has to change :)

karona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The cooks of this world want to not only make you happy by cooking for you, but their artistic sense compels them to want to control the menu.

So, there are a few strategies

1. Get her a low carb cookbook.
2. Print some of the low carb cookbooks on the Forum and share with the expert cook.
3. Practice saying, lovingly and gently: [Honey Bunch or other endearment], remember I can't have that?
4. Sorry, not on my diet.
5. Not this time.
6. I'd rather have a second helping of the [meat, veggies, nuts]
7. I'd rather have {water, tea without sugar}
8. You go ahead and enjoy that, I'll have [stuff on my low carb diet]
9. Precook your own meals, making her one two, in case.
10. Go shopping and get excited about the right kinds of ingredients.
11. Wow, I can only have 0% drinks. You go ahead and enjoy it.
12. Looks good but alas...
13. I need your help, dearest, could you make me this recipe?
14. Listen to things like Dr. Bernstein lectures together, read Diet Doctor and other such posts together.
15. (You know how you can lose some calories, distract at the same time, make someone feel cherished and wanted, all in the safety of your own home together)
16. It takes a while for people to adjust from the denial period into being a partner again.

Remember, your condition has changed the rules and needs in the relationship and changed her / him from of successful pleaser of yourself into someone who has to change, learn, adjust overnight in order to achieve the same.
Thank you Contralto, excellent strategy, much more subtle than 'accidentally' leaving my post on the screen for her to discover ;)