Feeling alone in the world..

BBB

Hiya,

I've had Diabetes 2 for approx 10 months now and I've come to realise that I'm all alone in the fight.

I have a great family network but for Diabetes it seems a taboo subject....not sure why?

So to cut a long story short I have no one to really chat to about this topic....

Even when I got to see the nurse I feel they are just reading from a script and are not really interested.

This is the first time I've ever used a forum like this....i'm hoping it can help.

I try to enjoy life to it's fullest but recently I've started to feel down with almost everything....so i'm looking to find that sparc again.

Great to get some feedback.

Cheers

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I hesitate to say "welcome" to a forum we'd all rather not be members of - but you've come to the right place & you will soon be overwhelmed with replies.

When I was diagnosed, I was told EVERYTHING I was at risk from, & went home thinking I had the disease that would bring about my early death. It took months to get over that.

That was 12 years ago, & with a change of diet (to low carb) recommended by contributors to the forum four years ago, all the complications I was beginning to suffer were reversed. Today, at 73, I am on my way to play tennis for the evening. I won Gold & Bronze in the gym table tennis "Olympics."

Hope we can be of similar help to you.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BBB and a welcome from me as well. :wave:

You have joined a great community of fellow Diabetics and as Ian says you will soon find yourself knee deep in people who will be more than willing to discuss any aspect of our joint obsession ...Diabetes. You never need to feel alone again now you have found us, someone will always be here if you need to talk and nothing about Diabetes is taboo on this forum.

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BBB, I'm a newbee too. Only join a little while ago and already the folks here have been a huge help. Having gone through some of the topics there is a wealth of information and support. You are not alone anymore.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi BBB, you are in the right place for help, thi is one of the most active and helpful forums I've been a part of, loads of good info.
Welcome and good luck.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Welcome BBB. Diagnosed 8 months ago and now have my life back and sorted so that DB is no longer the problem it was to begin with. All you need do is ask and you will receive loads of great friendly advice on how to do the same.

llandudno1960

hi bbb i do know exactly what you mean about feeling alone like you i have family but still seem alone, for instance have been to diabetic clinic not very good readings really struggle all the time,DN is very nice but seems to just repeat to me all the things that i know,then i come home and just feel so down nearly in tears :!: :!: this is why my first thing i have done is come onto this forum i am fairly new to this but the things i have learnt from here and the support is fantastic,and you might not realize it but you have already helped me cos just by reading your post i realized i am not the only one who feels like this thanks :) :)

Mushroom

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am now a not so new 'newbie'. You are definitely not alone. This forum is full of people who are here to help.
Information is power! I was diagnosed in May and my way is to research on the internet and read up as much as I can. My diagnosis has been a positive for me. It has enabled me to start to sort out my weight problem and I now feel better than I have for quite a few years.
Yes, I felt that the nurse didn't seem to be listening to me and definitely reading from a script. I am due for my second Hb test next month and my third visit to the nurse. I am low carbing and it seems to be working so will see what my results are.
Planning meals and eating out for me has been relatively easy compared with managing my son's nut allergy for the last 8 years. Good practice - as I often have had to 'educate' other people about what he could and could not eat.
All the best, Mary.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
It is so true that having diabetes can feel very isolating at times. I think people who don't have diabetes can only go so far in their empathy and understanding - and it can feel pretty lonely. Personally speaking, I'm not sure how I would have coped had I not found this forum.

I hope that you find the spark you are looking for! There is always someone here willing to answer any question you can think of - and if you just want sympathy and a bit of understanding, that is here too.

Hope you soon feel better about life.

Keep talking!!

MaryJ

Hi BBB

I'll add my welcome to the good people above.

Here is a wonderful place to feel understood and definately not alone.

Have a read and ask loads of questions

mary x

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi BBB,

This really is the place to be, don't ever be afraid to ask questions, some omne will soon be along to answer them for you.

Good luck matey.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

mercury

Hi BBB

As you probably have realised by now that this is definitely the place to be. I found out back in July I was T2 and this was one of the first sites I found, and I'm glad I did. I have learned so much here. Knowledge is power and I felt empowered when I went to my first Appt with the DSN. really pleased you have found us and I hope you find everything you are looking for.

Bob

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BBB said:
Hiya,

I've had Diabetes 2 for approx 10 months now and I've come to realise that I'm all alone in the fight.

I have a great family network but for Diabetes it seems a taboo subject....not sure why?

So to cut a long story short I have no one to really chat to about this topic....

Hi and welcome,
I think in many cases it is more the case that the people close to you don't really know what to say rather than making diabetes a taboo subject.
It may be the case that they don't really understand enough about the condition to know what to say, or they may be afraid of how you are coping and don't want to bring the subject up in case they upset you.
When I was first diagnosed I had trouble with my Mum (despite me being 45 at the time!!) going around speaking for me in cafes and such. It was as if I was incapable suddenly of discussing what I wanted to eat and she felt somehow compelled to tell everyone I was diabetic and couldn't really eat anything on the menu. It was either that or she would talk to folks about me (in front of me) as if I had some terrible disease!! In the end I threatened to tell everyone she was 'ill' as she was on blood pressure medication, which made her realise that I was not ill and just had a condition the same as her high blood pressure!!
I find if you talk to everyone close to you about what you are going through, how you are feeling and how it is effecting your emotions they will understand better and then maybe it won't be a taboo subject.

There are always plenty of folks around here to talk to if all else fails.
Best wishes
Angie

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BBB

Lots of nice people here with te same goals, ask lots of questions, I was diagnosed just over 3 months ago and I have managed to lower my levels and maintain a great healthy level with the help and advise from this forum.

Fraddycat

Hello and welcome! Catza used the 'o' word - obssession. In a strange way we have to be obssessed in order to manage our diabetes. We talk on here all the time about diet, supplements, exercise, word games, jokes anything and nothing! Non diabetics must think we are wierd! But it is an incredible source of support, laughter, motivation. I spend more time on here now than Facebook!! :D

Anyway you've found the right place, you are no longer alone, you have all of us!! Jane

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've had T2 for over 8 years and have found over time, apart from a supportive wife, that friends, colleagues, people I meet on holiday etc also may have diabetes and the chat starts; there are a lot of us loose in society! Often it tends to surface when there is discussion on having dessert when eating out or when someone offers me a sweet, snack etc. Although not everyone will suffer from diabetes in their lifetime there is so much sugar and carb loaded food on the shelves that far too many are pushed into having high blood sugar as they age that it is worth bringing up the subject of high carb foods in conversation when appropriate to help guide others to at least think about the subject and study the labels.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
welcome BBB sorry to hear you are feeling low :x just wanted to say hi :wave: Best wishes RRB