Feeling annoyed!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to Ireland for new year, I intend to stick to the low carb diet except perhaps Christmas and New Years lunches, so I am trying to eat less in the run up to maximise weight loss. How many chicken thighs would you recommend? I buy mine at Aldi, £1.75 for 6-8 in a tray, low carb eating is saving me money lol.
I eat quite a few.. 3 or 4 at a go depending on how big they are.. I think our bills have gone down too although more trips to the butcher so maybe not!

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a look at my diary from when I started recording my results... 26.1.15... (began steroids) 17:53- 29.0 retested to check it was correct... 29.4.
I didn't go low carb at this point, I went to the doctors a week or so later, I was given a hba1c of 85, placed on metformin (which I took for a week while I was researching. I didn't get single digit results until 17.3.15 that was afternoon 8.1. I had been low carbing at this point for almost 2 months. By the 21.3.15 I stayed in single digits, they also showed a downward trend. I can see I was still getting reading of 6.8 for morning before breakfast results in June. But the rest of the day was fine.... then spikes with exercise (9s) it took several more months of ketosis to stop those spikes too. Within 2 months of the first hba1c they retested (6 weeks after I started low carbing) and it was a 48, unfortunately not low enough to avoid diabetic diagnosis, however I argues that hba1c was looking at 3 months which had an over lap of a month which covered the time I was put on steroids... so they agreed to RE test me 4 months later and I had a hba1c of 31. They agreed to write me down as medically induced diabetic which is either resolved or "diet controlled" but still get yearly checks... last hba1c was 32.
Don't expect it to happen overnight. I was just happy to get Bgl out of the high teens into the low teens... so my advice is take it one step at a time. It took years to develop the diabetes! Keep going, you will get there, it just takes time.

Reactions: Greg1957 and Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a look at my diary from when I started recording my results... 26.1.15... (began steroids) 17:53- 29.0 retested to check it was correct... 29.4.
I didn't go low carb at this point, I went to the doctors a week or so later, I was given a hba1c of 85, placed on metformin (which I took for a week while I was researching. I didn't get single digit results until 17.3.15 that was afternoon 8.1. I had been low carbing at this point for almost 2 months. By the 21.3.15 I stayed in single digits, they also showed a downward trend. I can see I was still getting reading of 6.8 for morning before breakfast results in June. But the rest of the day was fine.... then spikes with exercise (9s) it took several more months of ketosis to stop those spikes too. Within 2 months of the first hba1c they retested (6 weeks after I started low carbing) and it was a 48, unfortunately not low enough to avoid diabetic diagnosis, however I argues that hba1c was looking at 3 months which had an over lap of a month which covered the time I was put on steroids... so they agreed to RE test me 4 months later and I had a hba1c of 31. They agreed to write me down as medically induced diabetic which is either resolved or "diet controlled" but still get yearly checks... last hba1c was 32.
Don't expect it to happen overnight. I was just happy to get Bgl out of the high teens into the low teens... so my advice is take it one step at a time. It took years to develop the diabetes! Keep going, you will get there, it just takes time.
What a journey! Surely a good thing that they still see you as diabetic, since that qualifies you for regular checks? But IMO the most important checks will still be the ones you do yourself on your meter. I shall try to follow your example and not focus too much on immediate results, rather concentrate on DOING what I know should help.

Reactions: Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many chicken thighs would you recommend? I buy mine at Aldi, £1.75 for 6-8 in a tray,
At that price one might wonder what those 3 to 4 chickens were fed and how they lived and died, what corners were cut and how nutricious their meat may be, also whether they were fed anti-biotics, growth enhancers and other nasties. A lot of labour and materials were involved at every stage and had to be paid for (including making the tray and the plastic film over it, raw materials, slaughter, transport, the cut taken by the retailer, rent, bills, taxes ...) How could all that be paid for out of 30p per chicken leg? IMO animal welfare, welfare of the workers and, bottom line, welfare of the person who eats these are questionable to say the least.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
At that price one might wonder what those 3 to 4 chickens were fed and how they lived and died, what corners were cut and how nutricious their meat may be, also whether they were fed anti-biotics, growth enhancers and other nasties. A lot of labour and materials were involved at every stage and had to be paid for (including making the tray and the plastic film over it, raw materials, slaughter, transport, the cut taken by the retailer, rent, bills, taxes ...) How could all that be paid for out of 30p per chicken leg? IMO animal welfare, welfare of the workers and, bottom line, welfare of the person who eats these are questionable to say the least.

As the saying goes, "Man can't live by bread alone" well in the low carb world we can't have the bread. So that leaves fish or chicken, and I can only eat so much fish. As neither have a cloven hoof, I suppose that I have become a form of vegetarian, but I cannot picture myself as a vegan, if I buy a whole chicken, then it is always free range, but I dislike chicken breast, sadly it is not easy to buy free range chicken thighs, so I must make do with what is available, so I have discovered herbs and spices, turmeric in particular which appears to be the cure for everything except death itself. I know that chicken has a rough life, but apart from shooting bunny rabbits, I don't know what else to do. I just don't fancy eating fluffy or snowy.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the saying goes, "Man can't live by bread alone" well in the low carb world we can't have the bread. So that leaves fish or chicken, and I can only eat so much fish. As neither have a cloven hoof, I suppose that I have become a form of vegetarian, but I cannot picture myself as a vegan, if I buy a whole chicken, then it is always free range, but I dislike chicken breast, sadly it is not easy to buy free range chicken thighs, so I must make do with what is available, so I have discovered herbs and spices, turmeric in particular which appears to be the cure for everything except death itself. I know that chicken has a rough life, but apart from shooting bunny rabbits, I don't know what else to do. I just don't fancy eating fluffy or snowy.
Yes, I do see the problem. From being a vegetarian who eats fish, I too began searching for organic chicken portions, preferably pre-cooked, but found nothing acceptable. I do wonder from time to time what I will do if/when my repetitive meals of eggs and cheese and fish start to sicken me. We have to do what we can. Ethically I suppose shooting wild rabbits would be preferable as they would have had a good life up to that moment, but of course I'm not going to do it. I wonder if wild rabbit is ever on sale. It's a shame we don't live nearer to each other, as I would be delighted to buy the unwanted chicken breasts from you, nicely pre-roasted of course.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I do see the problem. From being a vegetarian who eats fish, I too began searching for organic chicken portions, preferably pre-cooked, but found nothing acceptable. I do wonder from time to time what I will do if/when my repetitive meals of eggs and cheese and fish start to sicken me. We have to do what we can. Ethically I suppose shooting wild rabbits would be preferable as they would have had a good life up to that moment, but of course I'm not going to do it. I wonder if wild rabbit is ever on sale. It's a shame we don't live nearer to each other, as I would be delighted to buy the unwanted chicken breasts from you, nicely pre-roasted of course.
My uncle (who died) was a farmer and his chickens were organic... he also used to shoot rabbits and pheasants on his land... You could always go to a local farmer and see if he could sell you some... that way you don't have to go hunting but still get a decent price on a wild rabbit/pheasant that may have to spend years in a freezer otherwise (save it from the cold)... May even be able to get a decent price on some chickens and veg... while doing your bit to support local farmers! ;)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My uncle (who died) was a farmer and his chickens were organic... he also used to shoot rabbits and pheasants on his land... You could always go to a local farmer and see if he could sell you some... that way you don't have to go hunting but still get a decent price on a wild rabbit/pheasant that may have to spend years in a freezer otherwise (save it from the cold)... May even be able to get a decent price on some chickens and veg... while doing your bit to support local farmers! ;)
Great idea, except that I live in the heart of a big city.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that a no carb first meal is not as effective as having a small amount of carbs in keeping my readings steady. I was dropping very low late afternoon, then high in the morning, but adding in a small tomato or a bit of green salad changed things for me. I also ate earlier, not waiting until noon, and that seemed to help too.

Reactions: Greg1957

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
I have found that a no carb first meal is not as effective as having a small amount of carbs in keeping my readings steady. I was dropping very low late afternoon, then high in the morning, but adding in a small tomato or a bit of green salad changed things for me. I also ate earlier, not waiting until noon, and that seemed to help too.

8.4 this morning, a nice steady drop in the last few days, got a visit with my DN Tuesday, I am not dreading the blood test this time, it should show a decline in my numbers. I will report back.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea, except that I live in the heart of a big city.
We travel an HR and half to get our meat from a trusted butcher!
Once you find one though and establish a relationship I am sure you can work something out.
Where there is a will there's a way. Good luck to you all.

Reactions: Alexandra100