Feeling anxious

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went on Thursday to see my diabetes nurse for a review my blood pressure is quite high 154/121 so was told to make a gp appointment (which I have) for next Tuesday.
I phoned up gp surgery for results of my HbA1c but they had my results but had to wait as gp has requested I speak about it at appointment & I was not to get them over the phone, what could they the results be? What's the worse case scenario? I feel calmer when I have a idea what's coming, any suggestions will be greatly received, thanks in advance!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We cant predict what its about other than to discuss what is the best treatment at the moment, be that meds or lifestyle, and I suspect that guessing wouldnt help your anxiety.
If it was something urgent, I think the GP would be seeing you earlier than next Tuesday

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you know whats coming. its never congrats youve got perfect bloods. your blood pressure is very high are you on any medication for it.
Your blood pressure is 154 over 121?

What your blood pressure values mean
Your blood pressure is: Way too high - Hypertension Stage 3 / Hypertensive crisis

But regarding your systolic (upper) value your blood pressure is rather: Too high - Hypertension Stage 1
dont panic if its just a one off. it needs at least 3 to get a diagnosis. but its very likely that you will need some meds to bring it down.
im guessing your HbA1c has gone up as well. what treatment are you on. are you on a diet and are you keeping it. most likely they will review what your on.

assuming your more pear shaped rather than stick you have Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions — increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels — that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

basically your going to have to take better care of your self. first bit is not to worry wont help your bp. everything can be fixed. however doing what i do ignoring stuff until its too late is a very bad idea. just wait and see. however if you have any odd chest pains dont ignore them. my angina creeped up on me like that.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as boo says what i said is not an attempted diagnosis just a guess. i was called in by the doctor twice to discuss ibuprofen and aspirin. they can forget getting a call from them can be very scarily.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We cant predict what its about other than to discuss what is the best treatment at the moment, be that meds or lifestyle, and I suspect that guessing wouldnt help your anxiety.
If it was something urgent, I think the GP would be seeing you earlier than next Tuesday
My own gp is on holiday until Tuesday next week that's why I'm not going until then but thank you

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
you know whats coming. its never congrats youve got perfect bloods. your blood pressure is very high are you on any medication for it.
Your blood pressure is 154 over 121?

What your blood pressure values mean
Your blood pressure is: Way too high - Hypertension Stage 3 / Hypertensive crisis

But regarding your systolic (upper) value your blood pressure is rather: Too high - Hypertension Stage 1
dont panic if its just a one off. it needs at least 3 to get a diagnosis. but its very likely that you will need some meds to bring it down.
im guessing your HbA1c has gone up as well. what treatment are you on. are you on a diet and are you keeping it. most likely they will review what your on.

assuming your more pear shaped rather than stick you have Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions — increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels — that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

basically your going to have to take better care of your self. first bit is not to worry wont help your bp. everything can be fixed. however doing what i do ignoring stuff until its too late is a very bad idea. just wait and see. however if you have any odd chest pains dont ignore them. my angina creeped up on me like that.
I had several blood pressure tests over the course of a hour & the lowest was 154 over 121 I'm not currently on bp medication but I'm on 4x500mg of metformin per day & should be on a diet but constantly fail, I'm concerned that I may get moved on to insulin, do you know if this is likely?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
re your bp. it needs to be on different days so at least two more visits.
if your HbA1c is going up then they may add more stuff in. but your best defense is diet and weight loss. trust me its easier when you dont have heart problems. its your body please look after it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think any of us can predict what your doctor will tell you, unfortunately, but maybe, in the mean time, you could have a think about your diet and what is causing you to find it too difficult to do? Perhaps we can help with ideas, many of us struggle with dieting. And that would be something positive for you to focus on while you are waiting for your appointment?

Best wishes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had several blood pressure tests over the course of a hour & the lowest was 154 over 121 I'm not currently on bp medication but I'm on 4x500mg of metformin per day & should be on a diet but constantly fail, I'm concerned that I may get moved on to insulin, do you know if this is likely?

Loukay - My BP is always horrendous in the surgery, or hospital. I almost had surgery that needed to be done promptly cancelled because of my BP, until I explained to the anaesthetist I have white coat syndrome, therefor it was all his fault. :) His response was, I'd better get you off the sleep then!

If you don't have one, it could be useful to invest in a BP monitor and do your own readings at home. It both helps you get used to the whole tightening cuff process and the inbuilt memory builds a better picture of what really happens for you. I take my monitor when I go and might be discussing BP.

Many people suffer from White Coat Syndrome. It is very common, but high blood pressure shouldn't be ignored, if it is indeed routinely elevated.

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: Loukay1