Feeling awfully tired every afternoon

francis1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I wake up feeling OK each morning. I am on metformin 500x4 daily. By 11 O'Clock I start to feel tired and by 2pm most afternoons I am completely exhausted.
Since being diagnosed I have kept my glucose readings at a monthly average of 7.
I was wondering if this is normal or if there is something I am doing wrong.
The nurse told me that I shouldn't exceed 250g carbs a day which I have stuck to. Plenty of fruit,veg and fluids.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a read round in here you will see that most of us stick to a lot less carbs than that. Usually under 100g and often very low down to 20-30g.

When we do that blood glycose goes down. Less insulin gets produced and many diabetic symptoms go away including the appallung tiredness.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Others will be along to give you more details and welcome, you found a good place :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I wake up feeling OK each morning. I am on metformin 500x4 daily. By 11 O'Clock I start to feel tired and by 2pm most afternoons I am completely exhausted.
Since being diagnosed I have kept my glucose readings at a monthly average of 7.
The nurse told me that I shouldn't exceed 250g carbs a day which I have stuck to. Plenty of fruit,veg and fluids.
Too much fruit like any carb can cause fatty liver. Restrict your fruit to berries and reintroduce odd piece once bgs are to your liking?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @francis1971 welcome to the forum. Going to tag @daisy1 for some new member information that is really helpful. I think you need to find your own level of carb intake for max energy that is sustainable. For me that is around 100g to avoid high blood sugars, weight gain and tiredness.

The best way to find out how many carbs you can tolerate is to get a blood glucose meter. Tagging @AM1874 who has details of the popular meters and discounts available.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @francis1971 and welcome aboard.

You say you are keeping your average blood glucose levels at about 7, but which readings do these include? Are you including your post meal (2 hour) levels in that? If you are eating 250g of carbs a day I doubt a true average will be 7 - you will be missing your peaks. The fruit alone will be causing high spikes, let alone carbs from foods such as potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and cereals. Fruit as a whole is just not good for T2 diabetics because it makes our fatty livers worse. Berries such as strawberries and raspberries are best, maybe a small apple, and they need to be eaten as part of a meal, with a full fat yogurt or cream, not as a stand alone snack. The worst fruits are those that grow in warm climates such as bananas, grapes, oranges etc.

A good plan is to keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your before and after levels alongside, look at the rise from before eating to the 2 hour after first bite mark. Is this more than 2mmol/l? If so, there are too many carbs in that meal, so they need to be reduced or eliminated.

An ideal target is to keep between 4 and 7 as often as you can, although there will be hiccups along the way. It is most likely your tiredness is due to high glucose levels, especially as it seems to be after meal times.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When oh when are professional heath care providers going to accept that many people cannot eat carbohydrates in the huge amounts they advise. I was restricted to under 80 gm per day when trying to control my weight, and now stick to under 60gm in order to get normal blood glucose levels.
I have been saying the same thing over and over for decades - but have been derided, ignored, shouted at - told I'm deluded, deceitful - gorging is always thrown into the tirade - but there is no way I could eat 250 gm of carbs a day.
I have no more than 10 gm of carbs for my first meal, otherwise I start to feel similar symptoms to those you describe. I had the same thing in my teens and twenties, but never got a blood glucose test until I was 66 years old, when I was fully diabetic.
The exhaustion is due to the amount of insulin in circulation after eating carbs early in the day, then as insulin resistance gradually falls it takes all the glucose into storage and leaves us running on empty - or rather flat out and without energy.

Reactions: VioletViolet

francis1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice. I shall try lowering my carbs. I have been averaging around 50 carbs for breakfast as I was told to try to average out my carbs per main meal. I have been having a banana for mid morning snack. I didn't realise they were an unhelpful fruit. I shall swap to berries.
I would also like to say that I've not eaten the 250g per day. I probably average 190. The 250g was a max to be consumed. This was the nurses advice.
There is so much to learn.
I really appreciate all the help as it feels like a case of here's your prescription and off you toddle.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About the tiredness, do you know if your blood iron and hemoglobin are in normal range?

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been averaging around 50 carbs for breakfast

This will have been another of your problems. It is no wonder you felt so tired in the morning. Breakfast times are difficult because our insulin sensitivity hasn't woken up and our livers tend to dump glucose (dawn phenomenon). Personally, I find I can't tolerate any carbs at breakfast so I stick to either fat or fat from a protein source. (eggs are a good choice, or cheese, cold meats, bacon, avocado, coffee with cream). It sounds to me as though your nurse hasn't got a clue about food for Type 2 diabetics. She is best ignored.

Use your meter and a food diary to help you. I bet you have some shocks!

francis1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first hba1c which was 80. I have been prescribed statins as my cholestrol reading was 7.6. All other bloods were within normal ranges, or I'm sure the gp would have prescribed some more tablets or dietary changes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first hba1c which was 80. I have been prescribed statins as my cholestrol reading was 7.6. All other bloods were within normal ranges, or I'm sure the gp would have prescribed some more tablets or dietary changes.

Did you ask for print outs of your test results, or ask if your surgery puts them on-line? This is really important for us, and I do mean IMPORTANT. Never assume your GP or nurse will tell you if your other blood markers are ideal. Indeed, some members here weren't told they were approaching the diabetes level until it was too late. You need to know your cholesterol breakdown (the total of 7.6 is meaningless without knowing how it is made up. Not all cholesterol is bad) You also need to know your liver and kidney function levels and your full blood count levels. Quite often these may all be within the normal standard BUT teetering on the edge of not being normal. You need to know so you can try to stop them going over the edge. You can also look back and compare the results with later ones - you will be having many tests over your life now. Any deterioration and you can do something about it. Any improvements and you can have a party! Your GP won't look for anything that is still in the normal range, even if deteriorating. It is all part of our learning curve!!

A phone call to your surgery should sort this out - ask the receptionist if you can have print outs, and ask if they put test results on-line and how to register for this.

francis1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a very low carb lunch of salad tuna with some mayo. I must say I feel a different person this afternoon having taken on board all the comments.
I will try a lower than usual carb dinner.
I shall now go and find a menu for the week that satisfies my needs but also meets the approval of a wife and 2 kids lol.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

One thing to check; your symptoms sound very much like the problem I had when taking Simvastatin.
I found I had to lie down for a nap in the middle of the day to get through to the evening.
I stopped taking the statin and recovered my normal energy within a couple of days.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@francis1971

Hello Francis and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help. Have a look at the link to the Low Carb Program as it should be helpful to you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @francis1971 .. and welcome
You have certainly made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

You are already aware the there is a lot of conflicting and sometimes confusing information around .. but the key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @ daisy1 has already been in touch with you and I suggest that you read up on the valuable material that has sent you. I think that you might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need about carb levels and about what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

I'm not sure if you are testing your blood sugar levels but, if not, it is a priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

francis1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 2 testing meters. 1 I bought as the pharmacist wanted to give me glucose tablets when I was in the chemists feeling I'll. I think she was trying to kill me as I had a reading of over 18 if memory serves me correctly. The other was prescribed by the diabetic nurse and I now get free lancets and testing strips.
I have now started testing pre and post meals today after the very good information that I have received today.
I am hoping to continue to improve my fatigue levels. Since having a very low carb lunch I haven't fallen asleep this afternoon. The only thing is the nagging headache which I have had on and odd since being diagnosed. Never had headaches before.
Again I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I have had a lot of useful info which I shall be using to get as well as I possibly can

Tannith

BANNED
I use d to feel exhausted every afternoon before I lowered my blood sugar. I used to come home from work eat then go straight to bed.I think its the high blood sugar that made me drowsy.