1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

feeling bad on 72 hrs fast

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Fuggs, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Fuggs

Fuggs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Because my blood sugars were gradually creeping up past 6 over the last few months I decided to go on another 72 hour water fast to get my insulin levels down. Which I did last year with no problems. The 1st couple of days were fine, even though I did feel tired, but today in the morning, I felt decidedly dodgy. 4th day. I felt weak,my heart rate was up and I felt slightly dizzy my blood glucose showed 4.2 which I didn't think was particularly low. However I decided to break the fast and had a breakfast of scrambled eggs and tomatoes. A couple of hours later i feel fine.
    Has anybody else come across this situation where they feel a little bit hypo on 4 or thereabouts. I didn't even think for 4.2 Mmol was hypo, but I have suffered from insulin resistance for quite a long while and I did come off metformin last year on doctor's orders as my blood sugars had come down from rand bat 12 or 13 to about 6.
    I am age 71 and the last few days being on the fast I've had very little energy and havnt felt like exercising at all.

2. mojo37

mojo37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes anything on the low 4's and I feel shaky and confused . I have had 2 readings of 3.4 last year and I was definitely experiencing hypo 's . People with diabetes are different some on this forum appear to be fine on low 4's but for me around mid to low 5 is what works .

3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

When your body has gotten used to higher levels you can definitely experience hypo symptoms well above 4, it's called a 'false hypo'.
    When you get your blood glucose down, your body will get used to lower levels again and the hypo symptoms at non hypo levels will disappear.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fuggs

Aha..I wasn't aware of that, never heard of it. That explains a lot. I am going to go full keto and if I can stay around five I will be happy.
    Does that also explain the absolute feet dragging fatigue perhaps?
    Unfortunately through this lock down caper, I have been remiss in my eating habit. Having done 4 days, I will work at it to keep it there.
    Thanks..:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have no idea about that. I've never done keto, and I've never have wanted to fast so I'm not the one to ask.
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel well when I hadn't eaten for over a day, but this doesn't tell us anything about how you feel.
    Glad to have been of help on the false hypo part though :)
    Wish you all the best!

• Like Like x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

If your fast gave your body a bit of a jolt, you could have been experiencing a bit of keto flu. I know you were fasting, but keto flue is basically a form of withdrawal from carbier foods.

It can last a few days, but if it is carb flu, it goes once your body gets a bit more used to it's "new normal".

Well done on taking positive action.

7. Fuggs

Thanks for that reply. Never thought about Keto flu although have heard of it. I did feel rubbish, lethargy, tired. Never hungry though. I now need to steer clear of carbby foods as you say.
    I lost a couple of kilos, so will go again in a couple of weeks, but prep myself with keto before hand.
    Thanks.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook