Feeling confused please help

Rachieb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for long post! I'm type 2 on insulin as my sugars were always mega high but now are really good anyways me and partner would like to try for a baby spoke to diabetic team who said would put me on 5mg folic acid and refer to preconception but I also need to speak to the doc for both of these, went to the doc and he said he doesn't understand why I need to do any of this and 5mg is too high a dose so won't prescribe it for me if I want to try then crack on . Feeling confused I rang 2 pharmacies and asked them if it was necessary for all diabetics to take 5mg or if shop one was fine and 1 said they wernt aware there was a higher dose the other said take lower dose as higher can do more harm than good now I don't know what to do and just want to try already obviously want to be safe and kepe me and baby healthy!! Opinions please

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rachieb , and welcome to the forum! I saw from your post on Administrators profile you were unsure if you posted right so I'm just replying to your thread to assure you you did :)
Posting on someones profile isn't very effective, posting a thread like this one has many more people seeing it.

I don't know anything about pregnancy and only a little about type 2 so I can't help you with your question. Likely people will respond, but as most people who went through pregnancy with T2 will have small children they'll be asleep at this time of night, or trying to be asleep, so not very likely to answer at almost 1 am ;)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hope everything goes well!

From the NHS site:
Folic acid
Women with diabetes should take a higher dose of 5 milligrams (mg) of folic acid each day while trying to get pregnant and until they are 12 weeks pregnant. Your doctor will have to prescribe this, as 5mg tablets are not available over the counter.

Reactions: Rachieb

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome to the forum,

I'm a type 2 but much older than you. I'm a little bit interested if you tried managing your diabetes with diet and what that looked like but.. that's not what you asked.

I don't have any advice in relation to folic acid but if you are concerned maybe your doctor could arrange a blood test to check your levels of various things including folic acid. I see @TriciaWs has already given some helpful advice from the NHS

Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting- everyone has advice to offer and it is all contradictory. My advice is to read around, talk to people including the medical profession and then trust yourself. We humans having been having babies for a while. Listen to experts and read articles but trust you know your body. If you have a symptom- trust your knowledge of your body and get advice. Don't be put off by a doctor or other medical person not listening. I also think-if in doubt seek medical advice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I'm sure some more people with actual knowledge about folic acid will be here shortly.

Best of luck for a healthy baby.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Err I'm male 70 years of age highly unlikely to get pregnant but never the less I am on 5mg of folic acid daily prescribed by my doctor. I do not understand your doctor's reluctance to prescribe it.

Rachieb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply ☺️ I did try diet and also tablets I'm not quite straight forward as had gal stones and pancreatitis a few years back which resulted in removing the gal bladder and part of my pancreas not knowing which part they removed sometimes my remaining pancreas works sometimes it needs a boost such as now I've been on insulin for around a month and a half and realisticly I could come of as my pancreas has been shocked into working but it will deteriorate if left and my sugars will sky rocket again x
hello and welcome to the forum,

I'm a type 2 but much older than you. I'm a little bit interested if you tried managing your diabetes with diet and what that looked like but.. that's not what you asked.

I don't have any advice in relation to folic acid but if you are concerned maybe your doctor could arrange a blood test to check your levels of various things including folic acid. I see @TriciaWs has already given some helpful advice from the NHS

Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting- everyone has advice to offer and it is all contradictory. My advice is to read around, talk to people including the medical profession and then trust yourself. We humans having been having babies for a while. Listen to experts and read articles but trust you know your body. If you have a symptom- trust your knowledge of your body and get advice. Don't be put off by a doctor or other medical person not listening. I also think-if in doubt seek medical advice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I'm sure some more people with actual knowledge about folic acid will be here shortly.

Best of luck for a healthy baby.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - you are not quite ordinary type 2, could be a 3c situation - surgery on the pancreas is involved - it is a more complex kettle of fish.
I can only wish you well in your intentions.

Rachieb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah - you are not quite ordinary type 2, could be a 3c situation - surgery on the pancreas is involved - it is a more complex kettle of fish.
I can only wish you well in your intentions.
Thankyou ❤️ forgive me asking but what's a 3c situation? Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thankyou ❤️ forgive me asking but what's a 3c situation? Thanks
Type 3c, pancreatic diabetes.
To answer your question there is a sub forum for it.
Look in 'forums' @ top of page.