Feeling Fed up

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sure they think people with diabetes don't have lives.

I've had 3 appointments regarding my diabetes this week.

I've got another one on 21st November.
And just got ANOTHER letter with ANOTHER diabetes appointment on 30th November.

And they tell you not to let diabetes control you or your life!!!

So between 24th October and 1st December I'll have had 5 - yes FIVE diabetes appointments.

Does anyone else feel it's too much and becomes too much? X

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure they think people with diabetes don't have lives.

I've had 3 appointments regarding my diabetes this week.

I've got another one on 21st November.
And just got ANOTHER letter with ANOTHER diabetes appointment on 30th November.

And they tell you not to let diabetes control you or your life!!!

So between 24th October and 1st December I'll have had 5 - yes FIVE diabetes appointments.

Does anyone else feel it's too much and becomes too much? X
The appointments are for your benefit.

Are you recently diagnosed or have issues with your BG management? Once things are well controlled, appointments are typically 6 monthly (more frequent if requested) with the addition of annual retinal screening and feet screening.

Try not to see frequent appointments as a hindrance, instead - see it that you are lucky enough to have a health service which provides the services for you.

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive been diabetic for 16 years.
My control has been erratic last few weeks due to a viral infection. That's all.

My average is 8.4 which is the best it's ever been. Which they are not happy with.

I'm.not personally happy it's not lower but I am trying.

I understand that appointments are for my benefit. But atm they aren't. They are making me feel suffocated.

The five appointments aren't even including foot or retinopathy screenings.

It's just too much. They say don't let it affect your life. But it is. And it.is because they are sending me appointment after appointment afyer appointment.

Before uni and being transferred to different teams I had my yearly screening. More if needed.

I finally felt slightly normal and not suffocated with this illness.

Now I feel more than suffocated like it's all I have and all I am

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been diabetic for 16 years.
My control has been erratic last few weeks due to a viral infection. That's all.

My average is 8.4 which is the best it's ever been. Which they are not happy with.

I'm.not personally happy it's not lower but I am trying.

I understand that appointments are for my benefit. But atm they aren't. They are making me feel suffocated.

The five appointments aren't even including foot or retinopathy screenings.

It's just too much. They say don't let it affect your life. But it is. And it.is because they are sending me appointment after appointment afyer appointment.

Before uni and being transferred to different teams I had my yearly screening. More if needed.

I finally felt slightly normal and not suffocated with this illness.

Now I feel more than suffocated like it's all I have and all I am
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way.

Your average is 8.4; is that an average BG in mmol/L or your HbA1c?

If it's not too personal (and don't think I'm being nosey), can I ask what the appointments are for? I ask because there are sometimes reasons why appointments are close together, such as follow ups (where necessary) for example, where bloods have been sent away for analysis. There's also times where you're scheduled to meet with another department, but the staff member was unavailable/busy on the day you were in the clinic. These issues are hard to overcome, especially with a stressed health care system.

The good news is that this won't go on forever, try and see it as a short term bump in the road for now.

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well the first one was an outpatient appointment for follow up and pump info. As been in hospital with erratic sugars due to viral infection and the novorapid not bringing sugars down to below 15mmol/l

Then the next one was with a gp doctor because they.wouldnt prescribe any insulin for me without seeing me. Despite me only seeing gthe diabetes nurses earlier same day.

Then 3rd one this week was with diabetes nurse at gp surgery for diabetes appointment even though on Tuesday I was at hospital for diabetes appointment regarding pump.

Next 1 is on 21st november to review sugars at 00.00 04.00 and 08.00 in regards to the pump.

The one after that on 30th November is no idea. Just says diabetes care team at the hospital which I'm going to.fpr the 4th appointment on 21st November...

It's just too much... x

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hba1c is 8.4 mmol/l or 69%

However yday was told it is no longer called Hba1c it is not call ICC xx

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the first one was an outpatient appointment for follow up and pump info. As been in hospital with erratic sugars due to viral infection and the novorapid not bringing sugars down to below 15mmol/l

Then the next one was with a gp doctor because they.wouldnt prescribe any insulin for me without seeing me. Despite me only seeing gthe diabetes nurses earlier same day.

Then 3rd one this week was with diabetes nurse at gp surgery for diabetes appointment even though on Tuesday I was at hospital for diabetes appointment regarding pump.

Next 1 is on 21st november to review sugars at 00.00 04.00 and 08.00 in regards to the pump.

The one after that on 30th November is no idea. Just says diabetes care team at the hospital which I'm going to.fpr the 4th appointment on 21st November...

It's just too much... x
So you've been hospitalised with both an infection and high BG, you're also going on to a pump which will require a lot of new calculations, procedures and processes. The fact that you have been hospitalised and are going to be starting on an insulin pump in the near future is why you'll be in and out of the hospital constantly. Unfortunately, due to NHS constraints - it's not possible to simply see every Dr and Nurse you need to see on the same day.

Try to relax, it may feel like your time is being wasted but believe me, this is all for your benefit.

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not saying it's being wasted.

It's just so consuming. I feel suffocated by this illness. .
And when I asked about appointments they never said I'd have so many is such a small time span because I even asked.

But it's taking over my life.

The days I'm not on placement I'm at hospital appointments.
So I'm either on placement or at diabetes appointments.

I literally have time to shower and cook and I'm back asleep.
I'm physically exhausted x

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not saying it's being wasted.

It's just so consuming. I feel suffocated by this illness. .
And when I asked about appointments they never said I'd have so many is such a small time span because I even asked.

But it's taking over my life.

The days I'm not on placement I'm at hospital appointments.
So I'm either on placement or at diabetes appointments.

I literally have time to shower and cook and I'm back asleep.
I'm physically exhausted x
Have you ever considered having a sit down with someone to talk about how you're feeling? This forum will offer you some great support but often when you're feeling the way you are, it's sometimes best to talk to people in person.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have.
And I'm also seeing a counsellor. I just feel so suffocated

Like it defines who I am x
The condition does demand so much from the person with it. Maybe you could bring this up with your counsellor and get it all out.

Try to find some comfort in the respect that you're not alone in living with diabetes. I hope you're feeling better soon.