Feeling Frustrated

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
I'm a long time reader but this is my 1st post born out of frustration at my fasting results of late!
I was diagnosed just over 12 months ago, started with Metformin then Gliclazide was added after 6 months, recently I have a new diabetic nurse who removed the Gliclazide & put me on Alogliptin.
I have now taken the new meds for 28 days & my levels are not really coming down! my last HBA1c was higher than normal at 72 but on Gliclazide & Metformin I always averaged a daily BG of 7 now I'm at 11!!, Today my fasting was 11.1 after eating nothing more than cold Pork & a fresh salad!.
I started LCHF this month & keep to around 80 to 100 Carbs, I lost 2 kilos fast but since then zilch!

I'm beginning to wonder if there is something else wrong with me?, could I be a misdiagnosed type 1.5 ??????

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Reddog :)

Misdiagnoses aren't uncommon sadly. If you can tell us a little about yourself eg age, BMI, history of your diagnosis, etc, then you may get some more individual input :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, your BMI may be useful to know as it's one indicator of LADA. If you suffer from a lack of insulin then the body starts burning fat so you lose weight.

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies you 2
My Bmi is 34 which obviously need lower, I'm 61 this year & i'm very active through the day as I'm a Builder, when I finish work I'm too knackered to do much else!?
In the last 2 years I have been diagnosed with the onset of Arthritis in my left hip, this is quite debilitating & limits how much I can do

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. Yes, that BMI would normally indicate definitely T2 and a low-carb diet together with Metformin would be the typical first approach. However, you say that isn't working so I think you need to discuss further with the GP. You can be both T1 and T2 just to complicate things! There are weekly injectables that some people have as T2s to get the weight and BS down; see what the GP thinks.

Reactions: Reddog